    Otherwise, wondered about the power supply, but why random?

    I'm running XP Home if that makes any difference.

    Any ideas in non-tech speak please.

    Robert Cragg, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Robert Cragg

    meerkat Guest

    "Robert Cragg" <> wrote in message
    news:RFV1j.18266$...
    > My pc has taken to powering down without any warning. A couple of times
    > it's
    > done it while I'm running Spybot Search & deestroy - is this coincidence
    > or
    > is there something in that program that could cause it?
    >
    > Otherwise, wondered about the power supply, but why random?
    >
    > I'm running XP Home if that makes any difference.
    >
    > Any ideas in non-tech speak please.

    First thing to do is check your Event Viewer for errors
    in either, Apps or System.

    meerkat, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Robert Cragg

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-11-24, Robert Cragg <> wrote:
    > My pc has taken to powering down without any warning. A couple of times it's
    > done it while I'm running Spybot Search & deestroy - is this coincidence or
    > is there something in that program that could cause it?
    >
    > Otherwise, wondered about the power supply, but why random?
    >
    > I'm running XP Home if that makes any difference.
    >
    > Any ideas in non-tech speak please.

    Overheating? Check that the fans are working properly and that the
    air-ways and heat-sinks aren't clogged by fluff and dust. Use a can of
    'compressed air' (as sold in electronics shops) to clear the muck - and
    expect there to be a lot of it!

    This means you will have to take the cover off the computer, which might
    need a screw-driver and if you're really unlucky, some of the screws will
    be hidden in obscure places. Remember to shut down the computer and remove
    the power cable first!!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Robert Cragg

    Robert Cragg Guest

    Thanks. I suspect overheating. The fan used to be very noisy, now it's
    quiet, which probably means it's stopped!

    Robert

    Robert Cragg, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Robert Cragg

    Plato Guest

    Robert Cragg wrote:

    > My pc has taken to powering down without any warning. A couple of times it's
    > done it while I'm running Spybot Search & deestroy - is this coincidence or
    > is there something in that program that could cause it?
    >
    > Otherwise, wondered about the power supply, but why random?

    Possibly a heat related item:

    http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/0023.htm#2

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/