Random shots of Mich

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Dudley Hanks, Apr 20, 2010

  2. Dudley Hanks

    me Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:04:23 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    <> wrote:

    >Just using a few random shots of Mich and the kids playing around to test a
    >different way of setting up a web page.
    >
    >Let me know if it doesn't work.
    >
    >Also, let me know if you think any of these shots could be cropped to a
    >decent pic...
    >
    >http://www.nothingnotpossible.com/cgi-bin/NotPossible/UnderConstruction

    Hi Dudley,

    These would bebefit from the use of one of the many gallery html
    generating packages which allow for the display of a page(s) of
    thumbnail images linked to original images of slides containing them.
    FWIW, I use JAlbum, http://jalbum.net/ Very simple to use with many
    skins for lookks and features. I have stuck with an older version 7.1
    and an even older skin, Exhibit Plus which also incorporates a
    slideshow if the user wishes to use it.

    Love the pics of Mitch, I'm a GSD lover/owner as well. Just wGSDs.The
    "w" meaning white. Here's a Jalbum page of him with some of his
    buddies.

    http://edwardgruf.com/dogs/2009-10-04_ripley_phoebe/index.html
    me, Apr 20, 2010

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Paul Furman Guest

    me wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:04:23 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just using a few random shots of Mich and the kids playing around to test a
    >> different way of setting up a web page.
    >>
    >> Let me know if it doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Also, let me know if you think any of these shots could be cropped to a
    >> decent pic...
    >>
    >> http://www.nothingnotpossible.com/cgi-bin/NotPossible/UnderConstruction

    > Hi Dudley,
    >
    > These would bebefit from the use of one of the many gallery html
    > generating packages which allow for the display of a page(s) of
    > thumbnail images linked to original images of slides containing them.
    > FWIW, I use JAlbum, http://jalbum.net/ Very simple to use with many
    > skins for lookks and features. I have stuck with an older version 7.1
    > and an even older skin, Exhibit Plus which also incorporates a
    > slideshow if the user wishes to use it.
    >
    > Love the pics of Mitch, I'm a GSD lover/owner as well. Just wGSDs.The
    > "w" meaning white. Here's a Jalbum page of him with some of his
    > buddies.
    >
    > http://edwardgruf.com/dogs/2009-10-04_ripley_phoebe/index.html

    I downloaded the images by saving the web page to desktop and scrolled
    thru them full screen with irfanview. Flickr & others will do a slide
    show like that.

    This is a pretty good way to show the intent of the shots: something you
    can review if/when medical technology restores your eyesight.
    Composition and framing catastrophes don't bother that way; you get the
    whole picture and appreciate glimpses of detail.

    IMG_4085 and others after have ugly blown highlights. Blown can be OK
    but this shows ugly yellow colors. It's good to have Mitch well exposed
    though and an interesting shot. Simple solution is to go black & white
    for all. None have appealing colors.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 22, 2010
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > me wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:04:23 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just using a few random shots of Mich and the kids playing around to
    >>> test a different way of setting up a web page.
    >>>
    >>> Let me know if it doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Also, let me know if you think any of these shots could be cropped to a
    >>> decent pic...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nothingnotpossible.com/cgi-bin/NotPossible/UnderConstruction

    >> Hi Dudley,
    >>
    >> These would bebefit from the use of one of the many gallery html
    >> generating packages which allow for the display of a page(s) of
    >> thumbnail images linked to original images of slides containing them.
    >> FWIW, I use JAlbum, http://jalbum.net/ Very simple to use with many
    >> skins for lookks and features. I have stuck with an older version 7.1
    >> and an even older skin, Exhibit Plus which also incorporates a
    >> slideshow if the user wishes to use it. Love the pics of Mitch, I'm a GSD
    >> lover/owner as well. Just wGSDs.The
    >> "w" meaning white. Here's a Jalbum page of him with some of his
    >> buddies.
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/dogs/2009-10-04_ripley_phoebe/index.html

    > I downloaded the images by saving the web page to desktop and scrolled
    > thru them full screen with irfanview. Flickr & others will do a slide show
    > like that.
    >
    > This is a pretty good way to show the intent of the shots: something you
    > can review if/when medical technology restores your eyesight. Composition
    > and framing catastrophes don't bother that way; you get the whole picture
    > and appreciate glimpses of detail.
    >
    > IMG_4085 and others after have ugly blown highlights. Blown can be OK but
    > this shows ugly yellow colors. It's good to have Mitch well exposed though
    > and an interesting shot. Simple solution is to go black & white for all.
    > None have appealing colors.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Furman

    Thanks, Paul, I appreciate the info -- especially the feedback regarding
    colours.

    The snow has just disappeared, and things havenpt greened up yet, but I was
    hoping for a bit better colour rendition, as I was shooting right around
    sunset...

    The next time I try something like that, I think I'll try to get some help
    and manually meter the scene first. Perhaps going manual will help keep the
    highlights from blowing, and bring what colour there is out a bit more.

    Once again, thanks for the feedback.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Apr 22, 2010
  5. Dudley Hanks

    me Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:30:54 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks, Paul, I appreciate the info -- especially the feedback regarding
    >colours.
    >
    >The snow has just disappeared, and things havenpt greened up yet, but I was
    >hoping for a bit better colour rendition, as I was shooting right around
    >sunset...
    >
    >The next time I try something like that, I think I'll try to get some help
    >and manually meter the scene first. Perhaps going manual will help keep the
    >highlights from blowing, and bring what colour there is out a bit more.

    I see you are using evaluative metering. I assume that is like Nikon's
    matric metering. and uses the whole frame. On may of these shots you
    would be better off using center avg. You'll still blowhighlights in
    the far background, but would have better exposure of your subject.
    They also appeared to be helped by levels, while descreasing the
    exposure in post processing. I thought some had some scenes that made
    some decent crops given the source material. Not the best, but I think
    some improvement, fwiw.

    http://edwardgruf.com/mich/
    me, Apr 22, 2010
  6. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:30:54 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, Paul, I appreciate the info -- especially the feedback regarding
    >>colours.
    >>
    >>The snow has just disappeared, and things havenpt greened up yet, but I
    >>was
    >>hoping for a bit better colour rendition, as I was shooting right around
    >>sunset...
    >>
    >>The next time I try something like that, I think I'll try to get some help
    >>and manually meter the scene first. Perhaps going manual will help keep
    >>the
    >>highlights from blowing, and bring what colour there is out a bit more.

    > I see you are using evaluative metering. I assume that is like Nikon's
    > matric metering. and uses the whole frame. On may of these shots you
    > would be better off using center avg. You'll still blowhighlights in
    > the far background, but would have better exposure of your subject.
    > They also appeared to be helped by levels, while descreasing the
    > exposure in post processing. I thought some had some scenes that made
    > some decent crops given the source material. Not the best, but I think
    > some improvement, fwiw.
    >
    > http://edwardgruf.com/mich/

    Yes, I do believe it's a lot like Nikon's matrix metering. And, that's not
    a bad idea to try the center weighted mode. I've tended to avoid it, as I
    never know where my subject is in a scene like this, but center weighted was
    what I used most back when I could make out what was in the viewfinder.

    For closer shots, I'm getting better at anticipating where my subject will
    be in relation to borders, so I've been planning to try it in shots like
    Mich's "traffic check" images -- maybe even spot metering (but that could be
    pushing it a bit.

    As for the colour shift, I was wondering if it rears its ugly head in the
    ones I tried to use flash fill? I have CR2's of the shots, maybe I'll see
    if I can get somebody to play with the colour there and see if it helps.

    The shots I did that night were roughly divided into two parts, with and
    without flash. Given the angle of the sun and the surrounding trees, some
    of the areas Mich was running around in were a bit darker. As he grew more
    tired and the shadows progressed, I popped up the flash and tried to catch
    him running in close enough for the flash to fill in the details. Perhaps
    those are the ones with the worst colours?

    Thanks, so much, Edward, for filling in some of the blanks for me. Take
    Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Apr 23, 2010
  7. Dudley Hanks

    Paul Furman Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "me" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:30:54 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks, Paul, I appreciate the info -- especially the feedback regarding
    >>> colours.
    >>>
    >>> The snow has just disappeared, and things havenpt greened up yet, but I
    >>> was
    >>> hoping for a bit better colour rendition, as I was shooting right around
    >>> sunset...
    >>>
    >>> The next time I try something like that, I think I'll try to get some help
    >>> and manually meter the scene first. Perhaps going manual will help keep
    >>> the
    >>> highlights from blowing, and bring what colour there is out a bit more.

    >> I see you are using evaluative metering. I assume that is like Nikon's
    >> matric metering. and uses the whole frame. On may of these shots you
    >> would be better off using center avg. You'll still blowhighlights in
    >> the far background, but would have better exposure of your subject.
    >> They also appeared to be helped by levels, while descreasing the
    >> exposure in post processing. I thought some had some scenes that made
    >> some decent crops given the source material. Not the best, but I think
    >> some improvement, fwiw.
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/mich/

    Yep, that's a nice set of photos. I wish I had someone talented to edit
    and cull my pics, it gets hard to be objective sometimes even with good
    vision <g>.

    > Yes, I do believe it's a lot like Nikon's matrix metering. And, that's not
    > a bad idea to try the center weighted mode. I've tended to avoid it, as I
    > never know where my subject is in a scene like this, but center weighted was
    > what I used most back when I could make out what was in the viewfinder.
    >
    > For closer shots, I'm getting better at anticipating where my subject will
    > be in relation to borders, so I've been planning to try it in shots like
    > Mich's "traffic check" images -- maybe even spot metering (but that could be
    > pushing it a bit.
    >
    > As for the colour shift, I was wondering if it rears its ugly head in the
    > ones I tried to use flash fill? I have CR2's of the shots, maybe I'll see
    > if I can get somebody to play with the colour there and see if it helps.
    >
    > The shots I did that night were roughly divided into two parts, with and
    > without flash. Given the angle of the sun and the surrounding trees, some
    > of the areas Mich was running around in were a bit darker. As he grew more
    > tired and the shadows progressed, I popped up the flash and tried to catch
    > him running in close enough for the flash to fill in the details. Perhaps
    > those are the ones with the worst colours?

    Perhaps. It's hard to tell. That kind of bright cloudy winter sky is
    terribly difficult to photograph. Seems overexposed no matter how you
    count it except considering the boy's black jacket. You could try auto
    white balance with a software unaware of flash usage, since flash
    usually forces the white balance to the flash color as far as I know.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 23, 2010
  8. Dudley Hanks

    Pete Guest

    On 2010-04-22 07:30:54 +0100, Dudley Hanks said:

    > The next time I try something like that, I think I'll try to get some
    > help and manually meter the scene first. Perhaps going manual will
    > help keep the highlights from blowing, and bring what colour there is
    > out a bit more.

    Hi Dudley,

    Thanks for the pictures.

    I've found using an external incident light meter works well in these
    situations. It makes editing easier because each shot has a similar
    exposure. Even without editing, a set of images with consistent
    exposure allows the viewer to absorb the content of each image more
    quickly. I've tried spot and centre weighted metering instead of matrix
    and it didn't help.

    I hope you can get some help to give it a try and that you are pleased
    with the results.

    --
    Pete
    Pete, Apr 23, 2010
  9. Dudley Hanks

    me Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:46:30 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/mich/

    >Yep, that's a nice set of photos. I wish I had someone talented to edit
    >and cull my pics, it gets hard to be objective sometimes even with good
    >vision <g>.

    As I said, I'm a sucker for a GSD. I also have lots of experience with
    this type of pic as I'm always carrying a camera when I walk my wGSD
    and if we run into his buddies, let the fun begin.
    http://edwardgruf.com/dogs/
    Remember that MASH episode when Winchester first showed up and was
    dejected when the other surgeons were much speedier than him? Practice
    makes perfect. I have lots of practice with these types of shots. I
    also beleive Bibble facilitates a very quick workflow if one doesn't
    labor over every adjustment/decision.

    Would these be "keepers" for many? I doubt it. But every one in a
    while a keeper does come about, at least imo.
    http://edwardgruf.com/2009-05-02_yorktowwwn_am_dogs_evan/slides/_DSC3499.html
    me, Apr 23, 2010
  10. Dudley Hanks

    Peter Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message

    >>Yep, that's a nice set of photos. I wish I had someone talented to edit
    >>and cull my pics, it gets hard to be objective sometimes even with good
    >>vision <g>.

    > As I said, I'm a sucker for a GSD. I also have lots of experience with
    > this type of pic as I'm always carrying a camera when I walk my wGSD
    > and if we run into his buddies, let the fun begin.
    > http://edwardgruf.com/dogs/
    > Remember that MASH episode when Winchester first showed up and was
    > dejected when the other surgeons were much speedier than him? Practice
    > makes perfect. I have lots of practice with these types of shots. I
    > also beleive Bibble facilitates a very quick workflow if one doesn't
    > labor over every adjustment/decision.
    >
    > Would these be "keepers" for many? I doubt it. But every one in a
    > while a keeper does come about, at least imo.
    > http://edwardgruf.com/2009-05-02_yorktowwwn_am_dogs_evan/slides/_DSC3499.html

    If they're keepers for you, they're keepers.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Apr 23, 2010
  11. Dudley Hanks

    me Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:59:57 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"me" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:46:30 -0700, Paul Furman <>

    >> Would these be "keepers" for many? I doubt it. But every one in a
    >> while a keeper does come about, at least imo.
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/2009-05-02_yorktowwwn_am_dogs_evan/slides/_DSC3499.html
    >>

    >If they're keepers for you, they're keepers.

    Luckily a few more folks than I thnk so as the rescue group I got
    Buddy from has sold more than a few calendars..

    http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621328
    http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621327
    me, Apr 23, 2010
  12. Dudley Hanks

    Peter Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:59:57 -0400, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"me" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:46:30 -0700, Paul Furman <>

    >>> Would these be "keepers" for many? I doubt it. But every one in a
    >>> while a keeper does come about, at least imo.
    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/2009-05-02_yorktowwwn_am_dogs_evan/slides/_DSC3499.html
    >>>

    >>If they're keepers for you, they're keepers.

    > Luckily a few more folks than I thnk so as the rescue group I got
    > Buddy from has sold more than a few calendars..
    >
    > http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621328
    > http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621327

    Nice to see. Congratulations.

    BTW I really like # 3486. You have managed to capture the love, trust and
    respect in the relationship between the boy and the dog.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Apr 24, 2010
  13. Dudley Hanks

    me Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:03:54 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"me" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:59:57 -0400, "Peter"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"me" <> wrote in message

    >>>If they're keepers for you, they're keepers.

    >> Luckily a few more folks than I thnk so as the rescue group I got
    >> Buddy from has sold more than a few calendars..
    >>
    >> http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621328
    >> http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621327

    >Nice to see. Congratulations.
    >
    >BTW I really like # 3486. You have managed to capture the love, trust and
    >respect in the relationship between the boy and the dog.

    Thanks. That means more to me as the dog's owner than the
    photographer. When I rescued Buddy he had some real people issues,
    especially with kids, and it was quite clear he had been abused. Now
    he goes out of his way to seek human attention and give it back.
    me, Apr 24, 2010
  14. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:03:54 -0400, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"me" <> wrote in message

    >>> Luckily a few more folks than I thnk so as the rescue group I got
    >>> Buddy from has sold more than a few calendars..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621328
    >>> http://www.cafepress.com/coastalwgs.418621327

    >>Nice to see. Congratulations.
    >>
    >>BTW I really like # 3486. You have managed to capture the love, trust and
    >>respect in the relationship between the boy and the dog.

    > Thanks. That means more to me as the dog's owner than the
    > photographer. When I rescued Buddy he had some real people issues,
    > especially with kids, and it was quite clear he had been abused. Now
    > he goes out of his way to seek human attention and give it back.

    It's a testament to the nature of these dogs. Even when they've been
    mishandled, they'll respond to a kind hand and put the past behind them.

    It's in their nature to help, and they're smart enough to know when their
    efforts are appreciated.

    That's one of the reasons why I've depended on shepherds for so many years.

    A tip of the hat to you, Edward, for the great work you've done ...

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Apr 24, 2010