Random reboots while trying to install xp64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Solar Induction, May 31, 2008.

  1. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out why my newly built computer
    randomly reboots during the Windows XP 64bit installation. The furthest I've
    ever gotten was to select my time-zone. Some times it even reboots during the
    initial loading of system files (right after loading F6 SATARAID drivers).

    I've pulled out all RAM except one stick in DIMM 1. I've disconnected my
    other 3 SATA HDD's including the 2 in RAID 0. All that's currently left on
    the mobo is my SATA Raptor, SATA burner, and my 8800GT video card. Even when
    I pulled out all of my SATA devices and used an IDE burner and an IDE HDD,
    the system would still randomly reboot. I've flashed the BIOS to Rev 1.1
    which is the only option MSI offers for the mobo after Rev1.0. My BIOS
    recognizes all of my drives, and all 8GB of my RAM (although not running at
    the 1066 speed). The drive boot order is set up for Floppy, Burner, and then
    formatted HDD. I've reseated every single connection in my system except for
    the CPU, and unfortunately I don't have another PSU to try out.

    Also, which F6 drivers am I supposed to use? nVidia has SATARAID drivers for
    WinXP64 for both my 780I-SLI Northbridge, and for my 570I-SLI Southbridge
    (and I know what my SB is used for). I've even tried using all 4 drivers for
    F6.

    So to sum it up... no matter if I'm using SATA drives or IDE drives, my
    system randomly reboots during Win XP64 installation. Any thoughts?

    --
    Centurion 590RC case w/ Tagan ITZ 800W PSU
    MSI P7N Diamond w/ stock Q6600
    Solar Induction, May 31, 2008

  2. Cooling issues?

    "Solar Induction" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, May 31, 2008

  3. Solar Induction

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 31/05/2008 in message
    <> Solar Induction wrote:

    >So to sum it up... no matter if I'm using SATA drives or IDE drives, my
    >system randomly reboots during Win XP64 installation. Any thoughts?

    Have you run memtest on your new PC?

    If not it may be worth downloading from:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    Burn the iso to a CD, boot from it, let it run(overnight if possible),
    then you'll know the PC is OK.

    A frequent problem with new builds is over heating because the CPU heat
    sink isn't on quite right.

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Damerham Hampshire UK
    Jeff Gaines, May 31, 2008
  4. With your problems, I think the suggestion about the heat sink is very
    good - in addition, too much cooling paste wouldn't help either. Remember
    that there is no compound that leads heat better than the metal-parts it is
    connecting. Even if there were, it wouldn't improve heat-dissipation through
    the materials - these compunds are used only to remove the microscopic
    air-gap that remain even after the surfaces have been polished, for the
    best result the metal parts need to be in contact.

    A few years ago, we had a report here from a creative guy who had tested all
    kinds of substances to try and separate truth from myth, his website was the
    funniest bit of reading I had seen for a long time too. He found that water
    had the highest efficincy (for the time it took to boil away) and that
    peanut butter was better than almost anything else (although smelly) - I
    wish I could remember that site, it was well worth reading!

    So, I suggest making sure you used as little of the 'goo' as is humanely
    possible to apply, while still covering the surfaces, and that nothing oozes
    out on the sides when clamping it all together, that would be signaling 'too
    much'.

    If you don't have any BSOD's and error messages, but just rebooting, I don't
    think what you have would be typical for memory failures. If you are sure
    that your SATA/RAID drivers are 64bit and that the OS you are installing is
    64bit, that is hardly what to look for, either. Weak components can sit
    anywhere, motherboard, graphics card or power supply, swap those out
    one-by-one for parts you know are working, or take the machine down to
    someone who knows how to handle a multi-tester.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 31, 2008
  5. Solar Induction

    Carlos Guest

    Solar Induction,
    Does the PSU have enough muscle (i.e.: watts)?
    Do you have separate 12 volt lines?
    Have you connected the additional (4 pin?) power supply connector to the
    8800GT card?
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 31, 2008
  6. hi,
    turn off as much as possible in bios to start
    jk
    Juergen Kluth, May 31, 2008
  7. Solar Induction

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    > A few years ago, we had a report here from a creative guy who had tested
    > all
    > kinds of substances to try and separate truth from myth, his website was
    > the
    > funniest bit of reading I had seen for a long time too.

    I remember that report. I think it was this one, dated in 2002 and recently
    updated:
    Thermal transfer compound comparison
    http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

    Even if it's not the same one, it's well worth reading (again). ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 2, 2008
  8. You are absolutely right, R.C. - this is the the actual one. The mouth of
    the proverbial horse!

    I have ordered a copy of Acronis, when it arrives I'll have that burned onto
    a secure medium together with my partition table.

    Thank you for your good memory.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 2, 2008
  9. Solar Induction

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    > Thank you for your good memory.

    A "pretty good" memory - assisted by Google. ;<)

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 3, 2008
  10. None-the-less, if you were left sifting less than 50 million hits from an
    inspiration generated search string, that's not a bad memory at all! (or an
    awesome sifting method?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 3, 2008