Random reboots under Windows x64, HELP.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by bigred, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. bigred

    bigred Guest

    Hi,

    I own an Athlon x2 processor (4400+) and I'm currently running Windows
    XP Pro sp1 x64.

    My system specs are as follows:

    Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe MB
    Asus EN7800GTX Nvidia 256 Mb video card
    4 x 512 mb PC4000 OCZ Gold Rev. 2 Ram
    250Gb WD 16 Mb SATA2 HDD
    500 watt Antec Fanless power supply
    creative x-Fi sound blaster Xtreme Music Sound card

    plus all the usual peripherals etc..

    I have a problem with my ssytem that is driving me insane and I wonder
    if anyone here can help me.

    My problem is as follows: My system randomly reboots itself with out
    any warning. The reboot are sometimes completely random, as in I'm not
    using any software and the computer is just idle and other times tne
    reboots occur when I using anything from MS Office to playing a game.
    I've scanned my system for viruses and found nothing, I've useed a
    bunch of anti spyware programs and deleted anything those programs
    found, but still the reboots occur. What's going on???? My ssytem is
    relatively new and this is driving me crazy. I've intalled all the 64
    bit compatible drivers I can find for my hardware and ther doesnt seem
    to be a problem so what gives. Sometimes i get an error in windows
    after the reboot that a serious problem occured and that it was
    potentialy hardware related. Could it be, if anyone has a clue or
    wants to help me out please go ahead.

    bigred, Jan 27, 2006

  2. I wouldn't second guess Windows on this one, its definitely a hardware
    issue, but its not easy to determine the cause right now. Have you checked
    the Event Viewer to see if there any messages relating to it? Also, do this,
    Click Start > Right Click "My Computer > click "Properties" > Advanced (tab)
    > click Settings under "Start & Recovery", under "System failure", uncheck

    Automatically restart.

    The next time the crash occurrs you should see a Blue Screen, with a
    detailed STOP Error message, write it down and post back here. The we will
    be able to make a better diagnosis.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 27, 2006

  3. bigred

    Patrick Guest

    Sounds like "power supply" or video card about to crap out.
    Could be memory but I doubt it.
    After it reboots go into to system event log and look for errors
    prior to reboot sequence that will be logged- if nothing check
    the application log to see if anything shows up there.

    and
    the next time that you idle / step away from the machine and
    believe that you have closed all your programs - check to see
    that they have indeed all closed - and would further suggest
    using "Sysinternals Process Explorer" rather than task manager.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorerAmd64.zip

    Patrick, Jan 28, 2006
  4. bigred

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On 27 Jan 2006 15:48:54 -0800, "bigred" <> wrote:

    >Asus EN7800GTX Nvidia 256 Mb video card

    Apart from power and memory-problems, I notice you are using a Nvidia-card.
    What drivers are you using? One of the "leaked" ones? I usually upgrade to
    the latest available ones with mt GF6600, and some versions are having
    problems which make my system crash, doing something or nothing. The reason
    why I suspect the Nvidia-drivers is that after installing a newer version,
    the random crashing disappears (until I run into the next buggy version
    that is ;-) ).

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Try disabling S.M.A.R.T (for hard disk options) in the BIOS.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 28, 2006
  6. bigred

    bigred Guest

    I use the drivers from the official Nvidia website. I am using version
    81.98 for win x64.

    bigred, Jan 28, 2006
  7. bigred

    bigred Guest

    Thanks I will. Gosh I'm really worried that it might be my video card,
    I doubt its the power supply. That baby runs great. But the video
    card worries me. Its a great powerful cards, but also quite hot and
    even in standard un overclocked mode it takes alot of juice.

    I ll post my error dump next time i get one.

    bigred, Jan 28, 2006
  8. bigred

    bigred Guest

    Well it happened...again.

    I got a blue screen upon rebooting the computer and it told me that
    there was some kind of hardware problem with a component, possibly my
    video adapter. Nothing else just that i should attempt to use a
    different one.

    After rebooting again, i got a window pop up asking me to upload an
    error report to microsoft. I jotted down what the technical stuff
    about the error said:

    Error Signature:

    BCCode: 3b BCP1: 00000000C000001D BCP2: FFFFF8000104628A
    BCP3: FFFFFADFB0545330 BCP4: 0000000000000000

    OSVer: 5_2_3790
    S_P: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

    I also have a .dmp file too, but its too large though to post and
    contains garbage symbols only from what i can tell.

    bigred, Jan 28, 2006
  9. I suggest you check how that card get's it's current, you may be using a
    'splitter' cable that takes it's current from another consumer - you should
    see that you have a clean direct supply from the PSU. If you are out of
    connectors, then split something else!

    You may also need a couple of big'n good case-fans - one in front that
    inhales and one in the back, behind the video card that exhales.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 28, 2006
  10. bigred

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On 27 Jan 2006 20:03:28 -0800, "bigred" <> wrote:

    >I use the drivers from the official Nvidia website. I am using version
    >81.98 for win x64.

    In my situation that version ran fine. If you tried the suggestions of
    others regarding hardware, and they won't work, and you want to play around
    with the drivers, on http://www.guru3d.com you can find older and newer
    versions of the driver. These drivers are official ones (which you can also
    download from Nvidia), and leaked ones. Good luck (it sounds like an
    annoying problem for you).

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jan 28, 2006
  11. bigred

    bigred Guest

    Well, I got another crash and this time the blue screen told me that an
    error accored in the file nvatax64.sys. Another time the computer
    crashed it told me on the blue screen that i got an error of the type
    SYSTEM_*******_****** i forgot the rest for the moment.

    bigred, Jan 28, 2006
  12. bigred

    John Barnes Guest

    That file is in the Nvidia drivers, so I would try another version. Make
    sure that the new version of the driver file has a different version of
    nvatax64.sys file. FWIW mine is version 5.10.2600.534 and I have had no
    problems, personally.

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2006
  13. bigred

    bigred Guest

    Well I got another crash and this time i wrote down what I saw and this
    is what the nice blue screen of death told me:

    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

    STOP: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF97FFF4B5A49,
    xFFFFFA0FBAAE5F90,
    0x0000000000000000)

    atkDisp.dll - address FFFFF97FFF4B5A49 at FFFFF97FFF484000 Date stamp
    43ab63ac

    This error occured when i tried to open a video file in Winamp. This
    kind of crash also occurs "sometimes" when I try to play videos in
    Windows Media Player.

    Bigred

    bigred, Jan 28, 2006
  14. Having that information, I would e-mail nVidia support, I have found them to
    be rather responsive and they see more of these reports than we do here. You
    can try one of the older drivers, I was very happy with 71.84, later
    versions I thought were having strange font-rendering in VGA. Also, you
    could try their Beta Drivers, I am currently running the 82.12 with no
    problems. As an alternative, I can recommend NGOHQ.COM - they supply drivers
    to support almost everything out there - even Laptops, and tweaked drivers
    too. They use 3dguru as a mirror (among others), you can get them there as
    well, but the Home Site has more info, I think.

    And do note that even though the nVidia installer usually handle installing
    on top of the previous version quite well - anytime you are having problems,
    do uninstall the old driver manually first, re-boot into VGA and install the
    new driver. This might be all you need to do to fix it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 29, 2006
  15. REMOVE ALL YOUR ASUS ENHANCED DRIVERS!!!!!

    I had the same problem, its something to do with Smartdoctor and when
    running any 3d games it does a system dump and blue screen of death appears.
    Its nothing to do with power supply or memory.

    Hope this helps

    =?Utf-8?B?TmF0aGFu?=, Feb 8, 2006
  16. It is definetly a memory problem. I have had the exact same problem running
    my windows 32bit wit my amd 64 3200. I myself coudlnt figure it out for the
    longest time. Run a memory test on the memory and you'll see the problem. My
    issue was that the memory works in certain slots on the mobo. You can get the
    memory test for free from http://www.memtest.org/#downiso, download the
    latest version of memtest86. Run it and you'll most likely see an error on
    the 5th test. If an error occurs while runnin memtest, try taking out all
    memory sticks except one and run memtest again. If the error occurs again
    place the memory stick in each slot and repeat. If the error still occurs
    then there is a problem with the memory stick, you might want to try using a
    lower speed ram and see if that fixes the problem (it did with me). I hope i
    helped you. If you have any questions contact me at my email address.

    =?Utf-8?B?SSBBTSA5OS45JSBTVVJFIFdIQVQgVEhFIFBST0JM, Feb 10, 2006