    How do I configure this mac address and spanning tree bridge identifier
    static in my router?

    Ronald de Leeuw
    Ronald de Leeuw, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Ronald,
    I am not sure if the mac-address and spanning tree bridge identifier can
    be hardcoded on a BVI. My question, out of curiousity, is why would you want
    to?

    It is my understanding that the BVI is going to borrow a mac address from
    one of the interfaces in the bridge group, which would make sense since you
    want the bridge group to be "seen" at layer 2 i.e. have a mac that is valid
    in the CAM. Also, it is my understanding that from a spanning-tree
    perspective the BVI will have it's own instance of spanning-tree much like a
    VLAN does so I do not see the utility in hardcoding the bridge identifier
    either.

    Maybe clarifying what you are trying to accomplish will help the group
    provide an acceptable solution?

    Good Luck
    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Ronald de Leeuw

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <bKF8d.259923$%>, phir0002
    @bellsouth.net says...
    > Ronald,
    > I am not sure if the mac-address and spanning tree bridge identifier can
    > be hardcoded on a BVI. My question, out of curiousity, is why would you want
    > to?

    Let's see how does it work:

    RouterB#
    RouterB#
    RouterB#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    RouterB(config)#bridge irb
    RouterB(config)#int eth0/0
    RouterB(config-if)#bridge
    RouterB(config-if)#bridge-group 1
    RouterB(config-if)#int bvi 1
    RouterB(config-if)#mac-address ?
    H.H.H MAC address

    RouterB(config-if)#mac-address 00aa.00bb.00cc
    RouterB(config-if)#
    RouterB(config-if)#end
    RouterB#
    RouterB#
    RouterB#sh int bvi 1 | incl Hardw

    Hardware is BVI, address is 00aa.00bb.00cc (bia 0000.0000.0000)

    RouterB#

    Seems it's possible to add a MAC address to BVI and looks ok..

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Ronald de Leeuw

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <bKF8d.259923$%>, phir0002
    @bellsouth.net says...
    > Ronald,
    > I am not sure if the mac-address and spanning tree bridge identifier can
    > be hardcoded on a BVI. My question, out of curiousity, is why would you want
    > to?

    Because BVI is full of bugs if you don't hardcode MACs. Well, to be
    fair, I should say that 8540's implementation of BVIs is faulty at best.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Ah, I don't have that much experience with BVI outside of xDSL PPPoA
    configs, so I was not aware. Thanks...

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Oct 9, 2004