    (always running) and Yahoo running and had no problems.

    Anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?

    ~SF~
    Sentient Fluid, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Sentient Fluid

    mark mandell Guest

    I have to retract that bit about the RAM since I noticed you have 512 MB
    which is plenty. In that case consider the power supply as a possible
    suspect cause.
    "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya.
    >
    > I am running Win XP Pro on an Intel P4 1.8GHz with 512 MB of RAM.
    >
    > At seemingly random times, I everything freezes for a few seconds. Music
    > stops playing... cursor and keyboard are frozen up.. .programs stop
    > responding.
    >
    > As an example, I was listening to music on WinAmp (ver 2.9), chatting on
    > Yahoo, and moving around small ( < 5 MB) files on my hard drive (60GB,

    7200
    > rpm).
    >
    > As I right clicked to create a new folder, everything froze for about 10
    > seconds. I named the folder and then tested to see if it would happen
    > again... It did... 3 times in a row. After that every thing was ok.
    >
    > I am sure my computer should be able to handle the little bit I was doing.
    > Other times I have had Photoshop open with 10 or so photos as well as

    Winamp

    mark mandell, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Sentient Fluid

    mark mandell Guest

    Then two other possibilities come to mind. A virus, trojan or worm has
    embedded itself in the PC or there is a system resource conflict. The first
    can be determined through spyware programs like sybot or ad aware(or if you
    already have an anti-virus program, run a scan on it). The second would
    require going into "Device Manager" and checking out the various devices to
    see if there's any conflicts in IRQ's or I.O.'s. Right click "My Computer",
    click "properties", click on your sound card, click "properties" and that
    would tell you if there's any conflicts.

    mark mandell, Jul 24, 2003
  4. "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya.
    >
    > I am running Win XP Pro on an Intel P4 1.8GHz with 512 MB of RAM.
    >
    > At seemingly random times, I everything freezes for a few seconds. Music
    > stops playing... cursor and keyboard are frozen up.. .programs stop
    > responding.

    <Snip>

    I checked for conflicts and virii(?) and everything is a-ok there, Mark.

    Yesterday, I tried Sheps idea about cleaning out the registry and so far no
    problems. If you don't hear from me again about this, assume that fixed it
    :-D

    Thanks for all the help!!

    ~SF~
    Sentient Fluid, Jul 26, 2003
  5. "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote:

    ><Snip>
    >
    >I checked for conflicts and virii(?)

    Viruses.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2
    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Jul 26, 2003