    worth keeping in this machine. What type of memory should i purchase, and
    should i get a single 1024 module or 2x 512mb?

    TIA for any advice

    -[Myth]-, May 20, 2004

  2. -[Myth]-

    Steve Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > I want to upgrade my memory for the setup mentioned a few threads earlier,
    > to 1GB, i currently have 2 PC2100 256mb modules, which i suspect are not
    > worth keeping in this machine. What type of memory should i purchase, and
    > should i get a single 1024 module or 2x 512mb?
    >
    > TIA for any advice

    2x512 could well end up faster than 1x1024. Unless you're after the
    fastest possible machine, I'd look for speed gains elsewhere, like the disk.

    Steve

    Steve, May 20, 2004

  3. On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:10:48 +1200, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >I want to upgrade my memory for the setup mentioned a few threads earlier,
    >to 1GB, i currently have 2 PC2100 256mb modules, which i suspect are not
    >worth keeping in this machine. What type of memory should i purchase, and
    >should i get a single 1024 module or 2x 512mb?
    >
    >TIA for any advice

    I have read that 2 are better than one, as it one fails you still have the
    other..

    Get 2 Kingmax 512MB PC2700 DDR (333Mhz) Memory or even faster's as you might
    upgrade you mobo to a dual channel one..

    I am using 2 of these Kingmax 512MB PC3500 DDR (433Mhz) Memory no problems
    but my MoMo is dual channel..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004
  4. -[Myth]-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > I want to upgrade my memory for the setup mentioned a few threads
    > earlier, to 1GB, i currently have 2 PC2100 256mb modules, which i
    > suspect are not worth keeping in this machine. What type of memory
    > should i purchase, and should i get a single 1024 module or 2x 512mb?
    >
    > TIA for any advice

    Answered in the other thread.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 21, 2004
  5. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:06:02 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > As long as you keep the CPU core cool enough and don't go crazy with the
    > core voltage (vcore) you won't hurt the CPU.
    >
    >> Also i was wondering about my ram, I would like to upgrade to 1GB,
    >> but i dont think its worth keeping my current RAM, which is two lots
    >> of 256mb, both seem to be pretty crap, they are:
    >> 1. Samsung M3 68L3223DTL-CB0
    >> 2. 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (no brand specified in the Sysinfo tool im
    >> using)
    >> Are these worth keeping, or should i use them in another, older
    >> machine and buy new stuff.

    > I would relegate the RAM to an older machine if you have one that can use
    > it. It's a bit slow and would hold back the new 512MB you want. Personally,
    > if you can afford it, I would go for all new RAM, PC3200 or better. Two
    > sticks of 512 if you want to use dual channel although, unless you are using
    > a mobo with on-board graphics, the performance gain of dual over single
    > channel is only in the regoin of 5% memory through-put. One 1GB stick may be
    > significantly cheaper than two 512's, it's up to you.
    >
    >> Thanks for all the help again :)

    > You're welcome.

    2x PC3200 512mb seems to be the cheapest option, i could get faster stuff,
    but is it worth it?

    -[Myth]-, May 21, 2004
  6. -[Myth]-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:06:02 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> As long as you keep the CPU core cool enough and don't go crazy with
    >> the core voltage (vcore) you won't hurt the CPU.
    >>
    >>> Also i was wondering about my ram, I would like to upgrade to 1GB,
    >>> but i dont think its worth keeping my current RAM, which is two lots
    >>> of 256mb, both seem to be pretty crap, they are:
    >>> 1. Samsung M3 68L3223DTL-CB0
    >>> 2. 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (no brand specified in the Sysinfo tool
    >>> im using)
    >>> Are these worth keeping, or should i use them in another, older
    >>> machine and buy new stuff.

    >> I would relegate the RAM to an older machine if you have one that
    >> can use it. It's a bit slow and would hold back the new 512MB you
    >> want. Personally, if you can afford it, I would go for all new RAM,
    >> PC3200 or better. Two sticks of 512 if you want to use dual channel
    >> although, unless you are using a mobo with on-board graphics, the
    >> performance gain of dual over single channel is only in the regoin
    >> of 5% memory through-put. One 1GB stick may be significantly cheaper
    >> than two 512's, it's up to you.
    >>
    >>> Thanks for all the help again :)

    >> You're welcome.

    > 2x PC3200 512mb seems to be the cheapest option, i could get faster
    > stuff, but is it worth it?

    Not unless you intend to overclock above 200 (real) Mhz FSB. I use PC3200
    myself and just adjust the multiplier to get max stable CPU speed. If you
    can get faster for not much extra and you fancy a bit of overclocking
    headroom and you can afford it then it could be a viable option. If you want
    to get all you can out of a CPU and you have, say a 200Mhz FSB, sometimes
    the next higher multiplier is too much. However a couple of extra Mhz on the
    FSB can get you to the CPU's max. IME most PC3200 craps out at 205Mhz or so.
    You can get it to go a bit faster sometimes by relaxing the timings (at the
    cost of a bit of performance) or raising the vdimm (RAM voltage). Unless
    you're a serious OC'er or want to become one then PC3200 is probably your
    best bet.

    I consider myself to be a serious OC'er but on a budget. My XP1800+ (1.53Ghz
    standard) is running at 2.1Ghz and I have two old Celerons 600s running at
    900Mhz. I have set up my fiancee's XP2500+ machine so that it's running at
    XP3200+ speed, and nice and cool at that, without spending hat-fulls of
    money. She basically got a $350 CPU for $160 and $25 for modifications to
    the cooling. (Both the Athlons are on Soltek SL-75FRN2-L mobos running
    standard AMD HSFs BTW).

    Good luck. You can always un-mung my email addy if you want more, off-group
    advice. (I don't check it daily, maybe a couple of times a week, it's a
    spam-trap) I don't mind either way.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 21, 2004