    any help would be appreciated

    --------
    steven h

    steven, Oct 16, 2004

  2. steven

    EMB Guest

    steven wrote:
    > hey all, im after some sticks of ram (128 mb+) for my server machine.
    >
    > my motherboard manual tells me that it can only take 168 pin pc-100 / 133
    > sdram dimms in the 3.3 volt breed, so my question is how can i tell if a
    > given stick is 3.3 volts (apart from that is sticking it in my server and
    > waiting for it to go pop).
    >
    > even better does anybody in this ng have any of the aformentioned memory
    > just lying around gathering dust, while it can be adding some coin to your
    > pocket?
    >
    > any help would be appreciated

    AFAIK sdram is available in 3.3 or 5 volt (with 3.3 by far the most
    common) so you should be pretty safe with ordinary dimms.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Oct 16, 2004

  3. steven

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <ckq9ki$f2q$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >steven wrote:
    >
    >AFAIK sdram is available in 3.3 or 5 volt (with 3.3 by far the most
    >common) so you should be pretty safe with ordinary dimms.

    168 pin DIMMs have 2 slots in the edge connector. One slot is near the
    centre of the DIMM and the other is offset about half-way between the centre
    and one end. Each slot can be in one of 3 slightly different positions-
    centrally between the adjacent gold tabs, or to the left or right. Lay the
    DIMM down with the connectors towards you and the "offset" slot towards the
    left (Pin 1 end of the DIMM to the left).

    Reading from left to right:

    First slot:
    Left: RFU type (whatever that is)
    Centre: Buffered
    Right: Non-buffered

    Middle slot:
    Left: 5 Volt
    Middle: 3.3 volt
    Right: Reserved

    Most current DIMMs are non-buffered and 3.3 volt. Buffered DIMMs are used in
    systems that can take a lot of memory (more than 3 or 4 DIMMs).

    It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
    are governed by people who are not as smart.

    Don Hills, Oct 16, 2004
  4. In article <ckq9ki$f2q$> in nz.comp on Sat, 16 Oct 2004
    17:59:22 +1300, EMB <> says...
    > steven wrote:
    > > hey all, im after some sticks of ram (128 mb+) for my server machine.
    > >
    > > my motherboard manual tells me that it can only take 168 pin pc-100 / 133
    > > sdram dimms in the 3.3 volt breed, so my question is how can i tell if a
    > > given stick is 3.3 volts (apart from that is sticking it in my server and
    > > waiting for it to go pop).
    > >
    > > even better does anybody in this ng have any of the aformentioned memory
    > > just lying around gathering dust, while it can be adding some coin to your
    > > pocket?
    > >
    > > any help would be appreciated

    > AFAIK sdram is available in 3.3 or 5 volt (with 3.3 by far the most
    > common) so you should be pretty safe with ordinary dimms.

    IIRC the notches are in different positions for the different types of
    DIMM, so it won't actually fit if it's the wrong type?

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 16, 2004