    I really wanted the performance improvement of 64 bit and increased RAM.
    How do I get Windows7 64 bit to utilize the full 5 GB?

    System is HP running 64 capable 2.13 hz dual core Intel.

    Bob Costello, Nov 6, 2009

  2. Whatever it is it's something you would be better off asking HP, or
    reading up on the specs of your computer. It could be a BIOS setting,
    reserved memory for a plug-in card (especially video RAM), etc.

    Did you do a clean install of Win 7 x64?

    It's not a clear cut answer not knowing exactly what your hardware is.
    Some systems have limited memory capability by design. I have a Dell
    1501 laptop with 4GB DDR2 installed. Win 7 tells me only 2.25GB of the
    4GB is available for the system. That's something Dell designed into
    the system. The 2.25GB limitation doesn't cause me any problem though
    since I have a SSD and installed a RAMDisk and now have a virtual drive.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 6, 2009

  3. There should a setting in your BIOS for address redirection or offset (it's
    called different things in different BIOSs.) What it does is move the
    various hardware reserved memory addresses up out of the 4 GB boundary,
    allowing you to fully utilize your RAM. Otherwise, you end up with the
    memory addresses that your RAM would use being taken up with things like
    your network card, your video card, etc.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 6, 2009
  4. I'm having the same problem with my copy of windows 7 64-bit. I've got 4GB
    of ram installed but windows says only 3 is usable. My motherboard is a
    Biostar PT880 Pro-A7 but I can't find the bios setting you described. Any
    help would be greatly appreciated.

    Endlessknight, Nov 9, 2009
  5. Sorry, no familiarity with Biostar mobos or their BIOS.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2009
  6. It also depends on exactly which version of the board you have. There
    are 3 editions of the PT880 Pro-A7 and the specs for 2 of them is only
    2GB of RAM is supported. Now, even though they say only 2GB is
    supported you may realize a bit more than that but not all 4GB. Dell
    says my 1501 laptop only supports 2GB. With 4GB in the laptop Dell has
    it configured so that Win 7 only sees 2.25GB.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 9, 2009
  7. Bob Costello

    Bob Costello Guest

    Bob Costello wrote:
    > Upgraded to Windows7 64 bit from Vista 32 bit. Added RAM to 5GB (reason
    > I upgraded to 64 bit was to get around the 3GB 32 bit limitation.) Now
    > system shows 5GB but only 3.3GB available for use. Task manager shows
    > 5.12GB installed, 3.326GB available or cached and 1.794GB "hardware
    > reserved"(?). Is this 1.794 not available for software? If not, how to
    > make it available for software?
    >
    > I really wanted the performance improvement of 64 bit and increased RAM.
    > How do I get Windows7 64 bit to utilize the full 5 GB?
    >
    > System is HP running 64 capable 2.13 hz dual core Intel.

    I am definitely running 64 bits. Did a clean install and it shows it is
    running 64 bits. Board is ASUS Tek Leonite 5.00 and the bios is Phoenix
    Tech LTD 5.09. The computer is an HP Media Center with 2.13 GHz Intel
    Core 2 HP-Pavilion RT680AA-ABA m7747c.

    Sounds like it is a BIOS limitation. I see no option in Bios to change
    anything related to this.

    Bob Costello, Nov 9, 2009
  8. The motherboard manual says max ram is 4GB.

    Endlessknight, Nov 10, 2009
  9. Then you need to find the setting in Memory for a "Memory Hole" and
    change the setting.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 10, 2009
  10. It was already set to "disable" setting to "enable" did nothing of note

    Endlessknight, Nov 10, 2009
  11. Then your best bet is to contact Biostar Support and ask them why you
    only get 3GB RAM with Win 7.

    Are you sure you have the Windows 7 x64 version installed?

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 10, 2009
  12. Bob Costello

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Bob.

    In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general, another user
    is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer, which reports 4.0 GB
    RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that, yes, he is running 64-bit
    Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there showing no such limit in my Win7
    x64 with 4 GB on board.

    So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM limitation.
    As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the mobo or somewhere
    other than in Win7 itself.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 10, 2009
  13. Bob Costello

    Franz Leu Guest

    R. C. White schrieb:
    > Hi, Bob.
    >
    > In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general, another
    > user is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer, which
    > reports 4.0 GB RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that, yes, he is
    > running 64-bit Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there showing no
    > such limit in my Win7 x64 with 4 GB on board.
    >
    > So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM
    > limitation. As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the
    > mobo or somewhere other than in Win7 itself.
    >
    > RC

    Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory, which
    results in exact that difference for the RAM.
    This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too
    much does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB
    should be a minimum.

    HTH
    Franz

    Franz Leu, Nov 10, 2009
  14. Positive it's x64. Thanks for your help.

    Endlessknight, Nov 10, 2009
  15. Bob Costello

    freddie b. Guest

    Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
    operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this operation,
    one must fully understand the design concept of the manufacturer. The 32 bit
    operating system was supported by a 32 bit bios. That being said, you can't
    get 64 bit performance from a 32 bit tree. All configurations will remain in
    the 32 bit realm. That being said, change the bios from 32 bit to 64 bit.
    Contact the manufacturer and ask for a 64 bit image of the bios. Understand
    that the hardware installed in the machine may have driver issues when going
    from 32 bit to 64 bit. The operating system should fix this if drivers are
    available. This should fix your problem forever. Your only limitation in ram
    upgrade will be bios and physical machine profiles.
    Thanks for your attention to this matter.

    freddie b., Nov 15, 2009
  16. Please find me just one link to any motherboard manufacturer that lists
    a 64-bit BIOS.

    There are NONE! There is no such thing in the wild!

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 15, 2009
  17. Bob Costello

    Tom Lake Guest

    "freddie b." <> wrote in message
    > Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
    > operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this operation,
    > one must fully understand the design concept of the manufacturer. The 32
    > bit operating system was supported by a 32 bit bios.

    The BIOS in ROM has nothing to do with the bitness of the OS. Vista and Win
    7
    don't use the ROM for anything. It's totally replaced by 64-bit software
    after
    IPL. The ROM is only used to load the first part of the OS which then loads
    the
    rest of the OS. ROM calls haven't been used since Win ME. Soon there won't
    even be a ROM BIOS. It is being replaced by EFI. In any case, ROM BIOS is
    16-bit program, not 32-bit.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Nov 15, 2009
  18. Bob Costello

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    Agreed. Many BIOS's do have a setting to enable more than 4GB ram. The
    setting might be called Enable Memory Mapping, or whatever other label the
    motherboard mfg might have applied. That should only be enabled when running
    a 64-bit os. It re-maps peripheral ram addresses out of the way so all
    installed ram can be used.

    > Please find me just one link to any motherboard manufacturer that lists a
    > 64-bit BIOS.
    >
    > There are NONE! There is no such thing in the wild!
    >

    > freddie b. wrote:
    >> Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
    >> operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this
    >> operation, one must fully understand the design concept of the
    >> manufacturer. The 32 bit operating system was supported by a 32 bit bios.
    >> That being said, you can't get 64 bit performance from a 32 bit tree. All
    >> configurations will remain in the 32 bit realm. That being said, change
    >> the bios from 32 bit to 64 bit. Contact the manufacturer and ask for a
    >> 64 bit image of the bios. Understand that the hardware installed in the
    >> machine may have driver issues when going from 32 bit to 64 bit. The
    >> operating system should fix this if drivers are available. This should
    >> fix your problem forever. Your only limitation in ram upgrade will be
    >> bios and physical machine profiles.
    >> Thanks for your attention to this matter.
    >>
    >> "Franz Leu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory, which
    >>> results in exact that difference for the RAM.
    >>> This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too
    >>> much does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB
    >>> should be a minimum.
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>> Franz

    Paul Shapiro, Nov 16, 2009
  19. haha, gues what this is a known issue by microsoft and a very commo
    issue with windows 7. I am having the same issue, upgrade from vist
    (wich read all 6 gigs of my ram) to win 7 64bit wich sees all 6 gigs bu
    but only considers 3.5 gigs usuable. Yup thats right Windows 7 64 Bi
    sometimes just cant get past that 3.5 gig memory limit.

    After spending a week dealing with microsoft tech support on the phon
    they considerd this issue unresolved and claim the are currently workin
    on an update to fix it.

    according to the tech guy from microsoft, it is an issue with the bio
    and the motherboard. all of you that are having this problem, it i
    becuase something in windows 7 does not fully support either your mothe
    board or your bios or both. The memory mapping will do you no good.
    Unless you go out and buy the most latest motherboard, processor an
    ram, you are going to continue to have this issue.* <-- Directly fro
    microsoft tech support.

    To the guy that posted this "It also depends on exactly which versio
    of the board you have. There
    are 3 editions of the PT880 Pro-A7 and the specs for 2 of them is only
    2GB of RAM is supported. Now, even though they say only 2GB is
    supported you may realize a bit more than that but not all 4GB. Dell
    says my 1501 laptop only supports 2GB. With 4GB in the laptop Dell has
    it configured so that Win 7 only sees 2.25GB."

    Gues what? They lied to you. Their hardware is not fully compatibl
    with windows 7. That is why it only sees 2.25 gb.

    So... since I have installed windows 7 64 bit, I have lost over half o
    my ram (3.5gigs Unusable), I have lost the ability to print on any o
    the 20 printers at my home and office (there are as of yet no driver
    for windows 7 64 bit on most printers), oh yeah, and the latest window
    update killed microsoft office.

    Check out this screen shot of windows 7 64bit not passing the 3.5 gi
    memory limit http://www.rustycage.net/sysinfo.jpg

    EPIC FAIL!!!

    *I want my money back.

    --
    infamous_otte
    infamous_otter's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163605.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i

    infamous_otter, Dec 13, 2009
  20. I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT from September 2009 and Windows 7 (64 Bits)
    installed.
    The latest available BIOS is installed (Version 1.1.3)
    This computer reports 6 Mb memory from the installed 6 Mb memory.
    So what's the problem ??

    Arie.B

    Arie Broekhuizen, Dec 28, 2009