    instead? Any reason not to?

    Cheers
    JohnO

    JohnO, Mar 2, 2009

  2. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-03-02, JohnO <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
    > DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.
    >
    > The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However It
    > seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
    > instead?

    Yes.

    > Any reason not to?

    No.

    Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2009

  3. JohnO

    Guest

    On Mar 2, 4:51 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
    > DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.
    >
    > The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However It
    > seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
    > instead? Any reason not to?
    >
    > Cheers
    > JohnO

    It should be fine given that you're using what is generally regarded
    as a pretty good brand.

    , Mar 2, 2009
  4. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 2, 5:35 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > On 2009-03-02, JohnO <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,

    > > Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
    > > DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.

    > > The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However It
    > > seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
    > > instead?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > Any reason not to?

    > No.
    >
    > Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

    Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

    JohnO, Mar 2, 2009
  5. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 5:35 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    >> On 2009-03-02, JohnO <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,

    >>> Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
    >>> DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.

    >>> The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However
    >>> It seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
    >>> instead?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> Any reason not to?

    >> No.
    >>
    >> Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

    > Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

    WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
    works fine though....
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2009
  6. JohnO

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >>> No.
    >>>
    >>> Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

    >> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

    > WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
    > works fine though....

    The difference is probably the video card aperture. I theeenk that XP 64
    moves that above 4GB.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 2, 2009
  7. On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:47:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >>> No.
    >>>
    >>> Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

    >> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

    >WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
    >works fine though....

    Yes, there needs to be room in the 32-bit address space for all the
    I/O addresses. 32 bits = 4 Gibytes of address space, so the RAM under
    the I/O addresses is unusable. Vista 32-bit is the same, as is Linux
    32-bit (but you can configure how much is used in Linux).

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 2, 2009
  8. In message <29a64027-32fb-4b70-8cef-
    >, JohnO wrote:

    > Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

    If it's 32-bit Windows, it'll need PAE support to access more than about
    3GiB, which is not available in XP Home.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 2, 2009
  9. JohnO

    Guest

    On Mar 2, 9:16 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <29a64027-32fb-4b70-8cef-
    >
    > >, JohnO wrote:
    > > Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

    > If it's 32-bit Windows, it'll need PAE support to access more than about
    > 3GiB, which is not available in XP Home.

    Yup, good point. We probably should have asked for more information
    right at the start!

    , Mar 2, 2009
  10. JohnO

    Guest

    On Mar 2, 8:49 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    > >> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

    > > WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
    > > works fine though....

    >  >
    > The difference is probably the video card aperture. I theeenk that XP 64
    > moves that above 4GB.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    > the same old personalities show through.

    yes

    , Mar 5, 2009