RAM upgrade: IBM ThinkPad 51 Series (Type 2888)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by petrol, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. petrol

    petrol Guest

    Hello all.

    I don't know what to do. I bought 2x 512MB RAM for the ThinkPad a friend
    of mine has and I was so sure it'd be a cinch to upgrade the thing. When
    I looked at the bottom though, there's no eash access to get to the RAM.

    I even took out the screws, but no way, I screwed all of them back on
    before damaging the thing.

    Why I'm doing this is: The machine is slow as hell. To even get it to
    launch a browser takes some 5 minutes. If not more. I ran everything on
    it to free up space and clear out the junk (used ccleaner, ad-aware,
    nod32, uninstalled unnecessary apps) and it ran ok for a while - 8
    hours. But this evening? Back to crapped out status.

    So we stopped by Best Buy to get more RAM. And now, well. I'm stuck.

    Please help.
    petrol, Jan 9, 2006

  2. petrol

    zxcvbob Guest

    petrol wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I don't know what to do. I bought 2x 512MB RAM for the ThinkPad a friend
    > of mine has and I was so sure it'd be a cinch to upgrade the thing. When
    > I looked at the bottom though, there's no eash access to get to the RAM.
    >
    > I even took out the screws, but no way, I screwed all of them back on
    > before damaging the thing.
    >
    > Why I'm doing this is: The machine is slow as hell. To even get it to
    > launch a browser takes some 5 minutes. If not more. I ran everything on
    > it to free up space and clear out the junk (used ccleaner, ad-aware,
    > nod32, uninstalled unnecessary apps) and it ran ok for a while - 8
    > hours. But this evening? Back to crapped out status.
    >
    > So we stopped by Best Buy to get more RAM. And now, well. I'm stuck.
    >
    > Please help.

    I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to in
    both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little access
    panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one screw.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Jan 9, 2006

  3. petrol

    petrol Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to in
    > both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little access
    > panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one screw.
    >
    > Bob

    That access panel with the one screw, I see it. And there's something
    held down by two clips that swing outwards, but then what's next? Do you
    have a link on how to replace the RAM, step by step? Thank you. I'm
    utterly clueless on how to do this.
    petrol, Jan 9, 2006
  4. petrol

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:12:49 -0600, petrol wrote:

    >zxcvbob wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to in
    >> both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little access
    >> panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one screw.
    >>
    >> Bob

    >That access panel with the one screw, I see it. And there's something
    >held down by two clips that swing outwards, but then what's next? Do you
    >have a link on how to replace the RAM, step by step? Thank you. I'm
    >utterly clueless on how to do this.

    The long links are messy, try www.ibm.com and / or www.google.com . For
    Google something simple like this search

    thinkpad r51 type 2888 manual

    OTOH as often mentioned, www.crucial.com

    What type of memory,
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...del=ThinkPad R51 Series (Type 2888)&submit=Go
    says is 200 pin SODIMM, then looking for the install guide.

    SODIMM install guide
    http://www.crucial.com/install/sodimm.asp

    Last link, found in 2 seconds using www.google.com , with this search

    install sodimm

    Me
    why?, Jan 9, 2006
  5. petrol

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    petrol spewed forth:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Thinkpad R52 and Wife has a R51. The RAM is easy to get to
    >> in both of them. What screws did you remove? There's a little
    >> access panel on the bottom to get to the RAM; mine just has one
    >> screw. Bob

    > That access panel with the one screw, I see it. And there's something
    > held down by two clips that swing outwards,

    That "something" is the RAM. If you don't know how to recognize that, you
    probably should pay someone to do your upgrades.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 10, 2006