Ram upgrade, chassis temperature

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Old Wolf, Nov 15, 2008.

  1. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    I'm a bit out of date with PC technology, and need a
    bit of information to help with upgrading the RAM in
    my wife's PC !

    The CPU is reported as "Intel(R) Pentium(R) D 3400MHz".
    I thought it was a Core2 Duo, but Wikipedia says that a
    Pentium D is an older dual-core version , is this definitely
    what I have?

    The motherboard is an Asus P5B VM-DO. It has
    two pairs of two DIMM slots (one white and one
    black in each pair). Currently there is a single
    1GB stick of DDR2-800 RAM in a white slot.

    Is DDR2-800 the correct spec for this CPU?

    She mainly uses the PC for 3-D gaming. In order to
    upgrade to 2GB and get best game performance,
    should I buy a pair of 1GB DDR2-800 sticks and
    use them in 'dual channel' mode, or should I just
    get another 1GB stick and put it in a black slot?
    (The current DIMM doesn't say what brand
    it is, and I've read that you should get two modules
    of the same brand for dual-channel operation).

    Finally, in normal operation (not gaming), the
    ASUS tempurature probe software says that the
    CPU is around 71 degrees and the motherboard
    at 55. In the motherboard manual it says that
    the motherboard should ideally be at 38 degrees.
    Should I be worried about these temperatures,
    and if so, what should I do about it?
    Old Wolf, Nov 15, 2008

  2. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Nov 15, 8:19 pm, thing <> wrote:
    > Old Wolf wrote:
    > > I'm a bit out of date with PC technology, and need a
    > > bit of information to help with upgrading the RAM in
    > > my wife's PC !

    > what games?

    World of Warcraft is the main one!

    > Get a free program cpu-z it will show hardware and ram type if you get
    > gpu-z it will show the video hardware.

    The important-looking fields:

    GPU
    -------
    Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
    GPU: G73 Rev. B1
    RAM: DDR2 512Mb
    Driver Version: nv4_disp 6.11.7824 (ForceWare 178.24) / XP
    GPU Temperature: 64C

    Processor
    --------
    Name: Intel Pentium D 945 (Presler)

    It looks like it really isn't a Core2 Duo, which is a bit
    disturbing since I still have the original packaging
    for the CPU, which says Core2 Duo on it!

    > However, 1Gb should be enough for most things, its more likely if you
    > are noticing its slow that you need to upgrade the video card and maybe
    > the cpu, but give us the output from those two programs.

    My own system is a 2200MHz (Athlon 64 3500+),
    2GB ram, and the same model video card but with
    only 256Mb of video ram -- and it runs the game
    perfectly, without a hitch, and the CPU and MB
    temperatures are cool and quiet.

    Her game becomes jerky in areas with detailed
    textures and a lot of other players, and it can
    even crash when there are a lot of special
    lighting effects going on. This seems to suggest
    graphics issues -- but it would be hard to say
    what they are, as her card is the same as mine
    and the latest driver from nvidia.com is installed,
    and she has in-game graphics settings turned
    to nearly minimum, and gpu-z shows that the
    GPU stays cool even during these problem periods.

    However, the hard disk does chew a lot when
    she is having the performance problems (it
    is not full and is defragged btw); and Task
    Manager shows that physical RAM usage
    is at 95% .

    > > Finally, in normal operation (not gaming), the
    > > ASUS tempurature probe software says that the
    > > CPU is around 71 degrees and the motherboard
    > > at 55.  In the motherboard manual it says that
    > > the motherboard should ideally be at 38 degrees.
    > > Should I be worried about these temperatures,
    > > and if so, what should I do about it?

    > It does sound warm....what case is it? extra fan(s) would probably
    > help...depends on the case....

    The case is a "Foxconn 38 degree". Obviously it's
    not doing its job! The chassis fan is very noisy:
    not bearing noise, just the noise of air rushing
    through it, it really cranks up loud when the game
    is running.

    I wonder if turning down the CPU frequency will
    help with the temperature issue? The game
    obviously doesn't require 3500MHz dual-core to
    run (it runs great on my 2200 single core).
    Actually I would have tried this already but I'm
    not sure how to go about it - can I just turn
    down the base clock from 200 to 166 say?
    (the bios doesn't seem to let me change
    the x17 multiplier).

    Thanks for the information ! :)
    Old Wolf, Nov 15, 2008

  3. Old Wolf

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Old Wolf wrote:

    > On Nov 15, 8:19 pm, thing <> wrote:
    >> Old Wolf wrote:
    >>> I'm a bit out of date with PC technology, and need a
    >>> bit of information to help with upgrading the RAM in
    >>> my wife's PC !

    >> what games?

    > World of Warcraft is the main one!
    >
    >> Get a free program cpu-z it will show hardware and ram type if you
    >> get gpu-z it will show the video hardware.

    > The important-looking fields:
    >
    > GPU
    > -------
    > Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
    > GPU: G73 Rev. B1
    > RAM: DDR2 512Mb
    > Driver Version: nv4_disp 6.11.7824 (ForceWare 178.24) / XP
    > GPU Temperature: 64C
    >
    > Processor
    > --------
    > Name: Intel Pentium D 945 (Presler)
    >
    > It looks like it really isn't a Core2 Duo, which is a bit
    > disturbing since I still have the original packaging
    > for the CPU, which says Core2 Duo on it!

    It most certainly isn't a C2D, rather a Pentium Dual core.

    >> However, 1Gb should be enough for most things, its more likely if you
    >> are noticing its slow that you need to upgrade the video card and
    >> maybe the cpu, but give us the output from those two programs.

    > My own system is a 2200MHz (Athlon 64 3500+),
    > 2GB ram, and the same model video card but with
    > only 256Mb of video ram -- and it runs the game
    > perfectly, without a hitch, and the CPU and MB
    > temperatures are cool and quiet.
    >
    > Her game becomes jerky in areas with detailed
    > textures and a lot of other players, and it can
    > even crash when there are a lot of special
    > lighting effects going on. This seems to suggest
    > graphics issues -- but it would be hard to say
    > what they are, as her card is the same as mine
    > and the latest driver from nvidia.com is installed,
    > and she has in-game graphics settings turned
    > to nearly minimum, and gpu-z shows that the
    > GPU stays cool even during these problem periods.
    >
    > However, the hard disk does chew a lot when
    > she is having the performance problems (it
    > is not full and is defragged btw); and Task
    > Manager shows that physical RAM usage
    > is at 95% .

    Needs more RAM. Cheap and easy to fit. If there are still problems after
    that then face them when it happens I say.

    >>> Finally, in normal operation (not gaming), the
    >>> ASUS tempurature probe software says that the
    >>> CPU is around 71 degrees and the motherboard
    >>> at 55. In the motherboard manual it says that
    >>> the motherboard should ideally be at 38 degrees.
    >>> Should I be worried about these temperatures,
    >>> and if so, what should I do about it?

    >> It does sound warm....what case is it? extra fan(s) would probably
    >> help...depends on the case....

    > The case is a "Foxconn 38 degree". Obviously it's
    > not doing its job! The chassis fan is very noisy:
    > not bearing noise, just the noise of air rushing
    > through it, it really cranks up loud when the game
    > is running.
    >
    > I wonder if turning down the CPU frequency will
    > help with the temperature issue? The game
    > obviously doesn't require 3500MHz dual-core to
    > run (it runs great on my 2200 single core).
    > Actually I would have tried this already but I'm
    > not sure how to go about it - can I just turn
    > down the base clock from 200 to 166 say?
    > (the bios doesn't seem to let me change
    > the x17 multiplier).

    Yes, you can simply lower the FSB to 166 if you so desire. I have no
    first-hand experience with those Pentium Daul cores but, with a C2D, with
    the right mobo, you can reduce the multiplier once you find the right place
    in BIOS to do it. (You just can't increase it above the stock max.)

    Luck,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Nov 16, 2008
  4. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Nov 16, 2:10 pm, "PeeCee" <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > From my experience just buy another 1GB of DDR2 800 at whatever
    > price/quality point suits your needs.

    I went out and did that yesterday. Then, murphy's law,
    after installing the RAM I discovered a setting in the
    game (dynamic shadows) that was killing the graphics
    performance. I'm sure the RAM will help anyway though :)

    > The temperatures you report suggest you case is not very well ventilated.
    > Take the side of the case clear out any dust blocking the CPU heat sink and
    > fans then  direct a desk fan at the open case.
    > If your temperatures drop significantly then consider adding more case
    > fan's.

    I got as much dust as I could off the chassis fan and
    the CPU . I could wipe the caked dust off the chassis
    fan with my finger, but not the CPU fan. The fan RPMs
    are a lot lower now and the temperatures are about
    5 degrees lower. (CPU shows green now, motherboard
    is still red at 46 but it's closer to 38 than it was!)

    Thanks to everybody who replied!
    Old Wolf, Nov 16, 2008