    only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

    Cheers,

    cOKe

    cOKe, Jun 13, 2004

  2. cOKe

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe wrote:

    > My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    > only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

    Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
    customised RAM.

    Speed and type ARE important.

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

    Divine, Jun 13, 2004

  3. cOKe

    cOKe Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe wrote:
    >

    >>My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    >>only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

    > Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
    > customised RAM.
    >
    > Speed and type ARE important.
    >

    > Divine

    Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.

    I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?

    cOKe

    cOKe, Jun 13, 2004
  4. On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <> wrote:

    >Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd like
    >to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
    >
    >My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    >only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >cOKe

    As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-:)

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 13, 2004
  5. cOKe

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:15:12 +1200, cOKe wrote:

    > Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.
    >
    > I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?

    Maybe. Enjoy nevertheless.

    Gordon, Jun 13, 2004
  6. cOKe

    PseUDO Guest

    cOKe wrote:
    > Divine wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe wrote:
    >>

    >>> My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    >>> only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

    >> Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
    >> customised RAM.
    >>
    >> Speed and type ARE important.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    > Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.
    >
    > I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?
    >
    > cOKe

    Huge difference, although XP runs OK on 256MB's it runs like a mini
    towing an elephant!!

    512MB is just the right amount of ram to have it running smoothly,
    noticeable improvement in load times and way less hard disk thrashing.

    Also www.ascent.co.nz have A-data ram the same as your current 256MB for
    $96 as well, if you wanted to stick with the same type as what you have now.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jun 13, 2004
  7. cOKe

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:15:12 +1200, cOKe wrote:

    >> Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
    >> customised RAM.
    >>
    >> Speed and type ARE important.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    > Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.
    >
    > I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?

    So long as the types of RAM are the same you will be fine.

    DDR 400mhz is what you are looking for.

    Is that what you are able to buy at DSE; and if that's what you have
    installed, then adding more of the same RAM will most definitely improve
    performance - depending on what Applications you choose to run.

    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

    Divine, Jun 13, 2004
  8. cOKe

    cOKe Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd like
    >>to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
    >>
    >>My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    >>only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>cOKe

    > As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-:)

    I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
    (they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
    them!

    I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
    Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??

    I thought I'd try a "brick 'n' mortor" store.

    Maybe I have "rip me off" written on my forehead? I think if I didn't
    follow up some of these things I've bought online they just wouldn't
    send the items ordered.

    cOKe

    cOKe, Jun 13, 2004
  9. cOKe

    PseUDO Guest

    cOKe wrote:

    > The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd
    >>> like to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    >>> only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> cOKe

    >> As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-:)
    >>

    > I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
    > (they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
    > them!
    >
    > I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
    > Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??
    >
    > I thought I'd try a "brick 'n' mortor" store.
    >
    > Maybe I have "rip me off" written on my forehead? I think if I didn't
    > follow up some of these things I've bought online they just wouldn't
    > send the items ordered.
    >
    > cOKe

    Iv'e dealt with about 30 online stores in NZ over the last 5-7 years,
    and would rate ascent at number 1 by a long shot, also like you tried to
    buy from dragonpc, and they wouldn't answer emails or telephones!!.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jun 13, 2004
  10. In article <cagsce$f4i$>, says...
    > The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd like
    > >>to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
    > >>
    > >>My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    > >>only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
    > >>
    > >>Cheers,
    > >>
    > >>cOKe

    > > As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-:)
    > >

    > I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
    > (they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
    > them!
    >
    > I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
    > Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??

    Well obviously you picked it because it is cheap, now it is a guy out of
    his garage

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 13, 2004
  11. cOKe

    K T T Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > cOKe wrote:
    > >
    > > cOKe

    > Iv'e dealt with about 30 online stores in NZ over the last 5-7 years,
    > and would rate ascent at number 1 by a long shot, also like you tried to
    > buy from dragonpc, and they wouldn't answer emails or telephones!!.

    I dealt with Ascent and found them excellent, prices maybe on the high side,
    even though I went back. They are good.

    K T T, Jun 13, 2004
  12. cOKe

    Cliff Guest

    > Iv'e dealt with about 30 online stores in NZ over the last 5-7 years,
    > and would rate ascent at number 1 by a long shot, also like you tried to
    > buy from dragonpc, and they wouldn't answer emails or telephones!!.
    >
    > PseUDO

    Same here. I only deal with www.pp.co.nz and www.ascent.co.nz they are by far
    the most professional and both here in Wellywood too ;)
    PP seems to have better prices and are open on Saturdays which is handy for
    me. Ascent have a great website.
    They both deliver overnight which is also excellent.

    cLiFf

    Cliff, Jun 13, 2004
  13. cOKe wrote:
    > My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
    > only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

    It doesnt usually matter, DSE have a 14 day money back warranty, just
    return it in saleable condition, and they'll take it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 14, 2004
  14. cOKe

    cOKe Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <cagsce$f4i$>, says...
    >
    >>The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    >>>As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-:)
    >>>

    >>I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
    >>(they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
    >>them!
    >>
    >>I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
    >>Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??

    > Well obviously you picked it because it is cheap, now it is a guy out of
    > his garage

    Cheap = Bad?

    I guess? But you'd think commonsense would prevail. From the
    conversations I had with them (numerous) they sounded like a bunch of 8
    yr old kids who had NO clue. They took the ‘cust’ out of customer service.

    Thanks for the suggestions on RAM guys will head over to DSE.

    cOKe

    cOKe, Jun 14, 2004
  15. In article <cairf3$p77$>, says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > >>I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
    > >>(they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
    > >>them!
    > >>
    > >>I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
    > >>Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??

    > > Well obviously you picked it because it is cheap, now it is a guy out of
    > > his garage

    > Cheap = Bad?
    >
    > I guess? But you'd think commonsense would prevail. From the
    > conversations I had with them (numerous) they sounded like a bunch of 8
    > yr old kids who had NO clue. They took the â¤=3Fcustâ¤=3F out of customer service.

    Customer service costs money. for these guys it might be the cost of
    employing someone else to answer the phone and email when they're out on
    a job.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 15, 2004
  16. Suddenly, cOKe sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
    > (they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
    > them!

    That's most likely the supplier who let them down - or perhaps they were
    just out of stock.

    Ascent even give you an idea of the risk of this: they have ratings for
    their suppliers! Brave of them I thought ;)

    Lately I bought from pcgear.co.nz and they were perfectly fine too -
    fast, no problems, reasonable prices.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and