RAM Troubles?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike K, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Mike K

    Mike K Guest

    Hello,

    I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
    motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

    Thinking that it was bad ram, I ran Memtest 1.15. Both sticks turned out
    fine when I ran the default tests. Then I changed some settings which
    turned up 100,000+ errors on both sticks. If your familiar with Memtest, I
    changed the memory sizing option (option 4) to Bios - All and thats how i
    came up with all these errors. I also changed the option to test all memory
    (option 3) and it was the same. When it got to test 4, it unexpectedly
    halted.

    Heres what it printed out when it quit:
    type: gen-prot PC:0000248F CS: 00000010 EFLAG: 00010006 Stopped with
    259,228 errora

    You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
    the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

    Thanks for your help!

    Mike K, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Mike K

    doS Guest

    I just bought 250.00 worth of PQI ram, it had a bad stick...
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    doS, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Mike K

    doS Guest

    www.memtest86.com

    doS, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Mike K wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
    > motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

    <snip>

    > You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
    > the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

    And I don't believe ECS has a very good reputation.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike K wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,

    >>I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
    >>motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

    > <snip>
    >
    >>You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
    >>the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

    > And I don't believe ECS has a very good reputation.

    Bullshit, I've used a bunch of ECS boards and out of maybe two or three
    dozen I've had one or two with problems. I can't even say that about
    Asus. The reason I bought a couple of ECS boards to begin with was a
    review on one of the better sites (Tom's maybe, can't remember) that
    said their main criticism of them is that they are priced too cheap,
    people won't believe they're good.

    To the OP, flashing the BIOS is *very* risky business and shouldn't be
    undertaken unless you know that it's the solution to a specific problem.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Mike K wrote:

    >>>Hello,

    >>>I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
    >>>motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

    >> <snip>

    >>>You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
    >>>the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

    >> And I don't believe ECS has a very good reputation.

    > Bullshit, I've used a bunch of ECS boards and out of maybe two or three

    Either you got lucky or the other people got unlucky. Hoo nose?

    > dozen I've had one or two with problems. I can't even say that about
    > Asus. The reason I bought a couple of ECS boards to begin with was a
    > review on one of the better sites (Tom's maybe, can't remember) that
    > said their main criticism of them is that they are priced too cheap,
    > people won't believe they're good.

    Perhaps that is an issue. I've never used one; my "I believe"
    represents what I've read, not "I know damned well because half of the
    ones I've used have gone tits up". :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who as part of Usenet Improvement Project 2005 (UIP5)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 13, 2005
  7. Mike K

    doS Guest

    lol. two or three dozen, and you call those good?

    doS, Apr 13, 2005
  8. doS wrote:
    > lol. two or three dozen, and you call those good?

    I guess I don't understand your reaction unless you are assuming I put
    two or three dozen motherboards in one computer. I said I had problems
    with maybe one or two boards out of two or three dozen used. I've had
    worse luck with Asus but I still buy them too. Probably the best luck
    I've had overall has been with Gigabyte boards.

    I had one customer who would not accept anything less than the absolute
    cheapest, damn the quality, on an order of 24 computers for a computer
    classroom. I hate to admit it publicly but I got him PCShits, the
    scourge of the industry. Just in case, I ordered 25. One of them was
    DOA, the others worked fine until recently when he retired them (about 2
    years of use). Most of them are probably still working somewhere.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 14, 2005
  9. Mike K

    doS Guest

    I was teasing you roger, no offence meant.

    doS, Apr 14, 2005
  10. doS wrote:
    > I was teasing you roger, no offence meant.

    I doubt you have the gazoombas to tease me effectively, but no offense
    taken.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 14, 2005
  11. Mike K

    doS Guest

    HARRRRRRRRRRRR

    doS, Apr 15, 2005