    a fresh format. But still, could not overcome the above problem.

    Any suggestion, why this is happening?
    thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 26, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Mem-test86 is nice, you can download an ISO image to burn a bootable CD.
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Hi

    I need a free software please...

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 26, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    It is free, click the "Free Download" on the left.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 26, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you checked the log to see if it is more descriptive? A hot processor
    will cause a machine check problem, and finally, why don't you provide the
    error message and code. If you aren't getting the time to view it, use F8
    and select the option not to automatically restart, or go into System
    properties advanced start/recovery and permanently uncheck the automatic
    restart option.

    John Barnes, Feb 26, 2007
  6. Hi John,

    thanks for your reply.
    The details of this error is as follows.

    "Windows - System Error
    A Machine Check Error has occurred. Please check the system event log for
    additional information."

    Source: WMIxWDM
    Event ID: 106

    I could know that WMIxWDM refers to The Microsoft Windows Management
    Instrumentation Extensions to the Windows Driver Model.

    I was ripping the DVDs into avi successfully earlier on, but this error
    display was still there. But now, the system hangs all the time somewhere in
    between, while rippding a DVD. The system hangs, while watching a avi movie
    too. Or sometimes the system can hang even if I am not running any
    application that needs a high processor utilisation.

    I could not run the memtest86, because the CD could not boot. So, I am not
    still sure , if my memory chips are working fine.

    Any help is most appreciated.

    Thanks

    Error Message:

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 26, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    They used to have a version that ran from a floppy. Nero and Roxio EMC have
    the ability to create bootable CD's

    John Barnes, Feb 26, 2007
  8. Here is a link to a Windows based RAM test program just download and unzip to
    a folder. Run the exe from the folder. Nothing to install.
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

    =?Utf-8?B?eHRlbGE=?=, Feb 26, 2007
  9. It is not uncommon for machines of 'some' age to become unstable -
    temperature changes, vibration and corrosion often will result in a bad
    connection somewhere, and it will almost invariably end up as a memory error
    if that something doesn't stop working altogether.

    A memory check is good in your case, but whatever the results, don't forget
    to pull and re-seat everything inside + the cables in the rear, and then run
    the diagnosis again for some length of time, at least over-night!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 27, 2007
  10. Hi

    I have 2x512 MB RAM chips. I first ran memtest86 on one of those 512MB chips
    and then on the other. But, during both tests the system got shutdown. (not
    restart). Then I ran the other memtest utility available at the following
    link.
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html
    The system hung some where in between during this test as well.

    I had one 256MB chip which came with this system, but later I upgraded with
    two 512 MB chips. I removed both of the 512 MB chips and ran memtest86 on
    this 256 MB chip. Surprisingly, the system again got shutdown!So my 2x512
    chips must be fine.

    This crash always happens when I try to open an avi with Nero Show Time. But
    I could open other file types and still the crash happens as soon as I do
    full screen. I get coloured vertical lines as soon as a crash happens or
    sometimes nothing on the screen during a crash. This screen has flickering
    effect.

    The coloured scrren appeared while formatting and reintalling windows as well!

    I have serious problems because of this and any help is most appreciated.

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 28, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=

    Jane C Guest

    You have a hardware problem, not necessarily RAM.

    For an overview of Machine Check Errors:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception There is a link in the
    article to a Microsoft KB.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Feb 28, 2007
  12. Hi Jane
    thanks for your reply.
    Please let me know to solve this problem? How to find which hardware is
    causing this?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 28, 2007
  13. In your first post you said the crash happened when the processor got hot.

    Have you checked that the fans are working when needed and none of the air
    vents are blocked by dust or other debris?

    Dominic Payer, Feb 28, 2007
  14. Hi

    The system shutting down because of the processor running hot is at 94deg
    Celsius.
    The main problem that I have to solve now is the frequent appearing of the
    colored screen. This can appear any time, even when booting Windows.

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 28, 2007
  15. Hi
    some one emailed me this link to run a test on my laptop.
    http://www.micro2000.co.uk/products/microscope/Creating_Batch_Tests_USB.html
    I phoned them and they said this software is worth £199.00!!!

    Can anyone really help to find a software that can show what the problem on
    my system is?

    Thanks
    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 28, 2007
  16. Jan Wielemaker, Feb 28, 2007
  17. Hi

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 28, 2007
  18. Hi

    I am sure that my memory chips are fine; it is something else and I need a
    software to find it out.

    Thanks
    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 28, 2007
  19. If such a utility exist - one that can tell you what is wrong with your
    machine - I do not know of it. Your temperatures are too high, if you're
    seeing 94 deg. you should be warned of the case releasing poisonous gases!
    You've got to figure out what is the cause, this takes carefull analysis of
    the machine's behavior in terms of performance, error messages, temperature.
    .. .

    Didn't i hear of batteries heating up towards the end of their life?

    Since this is a Laptop, I would seriously suggest you take it to a
    professional with personal experience from this model.

    If this is an AMD processor, do you have Cool&Quiet installed and running?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 28, 2007
  20. Hi

    following is the error I get, if I view the event log after I reboot the
    system because of a coloured screen on the display.

    \SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\aspi32.sys has been blocked from loading due to
    incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a
    compatible version of the driver.

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 28, 2007