Ram speeds for new CPU's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by harrod, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. harrod

    harrod Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a little bit behind with the current cpus and DDR2 & DDR3 ram.

    I use to build quite a few machines back in the day but have been out of the
    industry for a couple of years.

    I'm looking at upgrading my current PC (amd64 3000+, ddr400 ram). I havent
    decided what cpu to get yet (Been looking at "AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9750" and
    "Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600" ) but I'm a little lost as to what Ram I need.

    Back when I was building with DDR ram, for AMD cpus you would multiply the
    FSB x2 for AMD cpus and x4 for Intel. So my current AMD64 has a 200mhz FSB,
    so I am running ddr400 ram.

    What is the deal now? Is there a good article around explaining this? Or
    on the latest motherboards is the ram speed not directly related to the CPU
    fsb, as in the mobo can under/overclock the memory speed so suit?

    thanks for your help.

    harrod, Jul 1, 2008

  2. harrod

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > harrod wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm a little bit behind with the current cpus and DDR2 & DDR3 ram.
    >>
    >> I use to build quite a few machines back in the day but have been
    >> out of the industry for a couple of years.
    >>
    >> I'm looking at upgrading my current PC (amd64 3000+, ddr400 ram). I
    >> havent decided what cpu to get yet (Been looking at "AMD Phenom
    >> Quad-Core 9750" and "Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600" ) but I'm a little
    >> lost as to what Ram I need. Back when I was building with DDR ram, for
    >> AMD cpus you would
    >> multiply the FSB x2 for AMD cpus and x4 for Intel. So my current
    >> AMD64 has a 200mhz FSB, so I am running ddr400 ram.
    >>
    >> What is the deal now? Is there a good article around explaining
    >> this? Or on the latest motherboards is the ram speed not directly
    >> related to the CPU fsb, as in the mobo can under/overclock the
    >> memory speed so suit? thanks for your help.
    >>

    > You are pretty much going to need a totally new machine.
    >
    > DDR2-800 is the best bang for your buck by far, 2Gb for $80 is a steal
    > IMHO. DDR3 is way to expensive, theoretically DDR3 is fractionally
    > faster but in real life its not a benefit, not against its cost.
    >
    > You are specifying a quad core cpu which is fine if games is not your
    > primary use....Some games prefer dual cores, some prefer quad,
    > applications meanwhile usually run better with quad core CPUs. The
    > Q6600 is probabaly better than the AMD especially if you are happy to
    > overclock, it could get to 3Ghz with little issue from what I can
    > read. Its one certainly one of the CPUs I will seriously consider,
    > that or its slightly faster brother.
    >
    > Air cooling is Ok for a moderate machine the Coolmaster hyper TX2
    > cooler is very highly thought of, it would be my choice.
    >
    > There are some very good graphics cards in the mid range right now,
    > ATI has just released the 4850 and nvidia is going to price cut the
    > GT8800 and others to compete so there will be some excellent video
    > cards at the $300 mark.
    >
    > The seagate 500Gb sata disks are fast and have a 5 year warrantee, I'd
    > buy nothing else.
    >
    > PSU, The corsair HX520
    >
    > Motherboard, a top end P5K or maybe one of the new P45
    >
    > These sites I like the best are,
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com
    >
    > http://techreport.com
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com
    >

    > PSU ~ 11 tested.
    >
    > http://techreport.com/articles.x/13271
    >
    > Corsair has a 5 year warrantee and high efficiency, or you can go to
    > the hx620...
    >
    > My fav case....drool....
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2304831,00.asp

    Wow! I agree with pretty much all of that, except I'm a dual-core man. I
    don't think the majority of software is capable of using all four cores and
    likely won't be in the next couple years. So in the meantime I'd rather have
    a faster dual-core for less money. Best CPU on the market? An Intel E8400
    and set it to a 1600 FSB (instead of 1333) for 3.6GHz. Virtually all E8400's
    will do that with all other settings at default. Maybe 1 in 10 won't,
    meaning you'll have to run them at their rated 3GHz unless you're an
    overclocker and want to tweak vcore.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 1, 2008

  3. harrod

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark Robinson" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Wow! I agree with pretty much all of that, except I'm a dual-core
    >> man. I don't think the majority of software is capable of using all
    >> four cores and likely won't be in the next couple years.

    > Most software that can use two cores should be able to use all
    > available cores. At about that point the application ceases to know
    > about the processor(s) and the operating system doles out the tasks
    > to all available processors.

    Ok, I've heard it put a little differently but, as I'm not "for sure" on it,
    I'll agree. :)

    I still think that, unless you're using software (including OS I guess) that
    is fully optimised for multi-cores then you're better off with a dual-core
    of faster clock speed. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, cooler and
    faster for most things people use their computers for (due to clock speed/L2
    speed). Obviously there are exceptions.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 1, 2008
  4. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark Robinson" typed:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Wow! I agree with pretty much all of that, except I'm a dual-core
    >>> man. I don't think the majority of software is capable of using all
    >>> four cores and likely won't be in the next couple years.

    >> Most software that can use two cores should be able to use all
    >> available cores. At about that point the application ceases to know
    >> about the processor(s) and the operating system doles out the tasks
    >> to all available processors.

    > Ok, I've heard it put a little differently but, as I'm not "for sure" on
    > it, I'll agree. :)
    >
    > I still think that, unless you're using software (including OS I guess)
    > that is fully optimised for multi-cores then you're better off with a
    > dual-core of faster clock speed. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to run,
    > cooler and faster for most things people use their computers for (due to
    > clock speed/L2 speed). Obviously there are exceptions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Good advice Misfit, I'd second it.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Jul 1, 2008
  5. harrod

> [...]

    >> on the market? An Intel E8400 and set it to a 1600 FSB (instead of
    >> 1333) for 3.6GHz. Virtually all E8400's will do that with all other
    >> settings at default. Maybe 1 in 10 won't, meaning you'll have to run
    >> them at their rated 3GHz unless you're an overclocker and want to
    >> tweak vcore.

    > For my favourite games one of which is supreme commander, the Quad
    > seems a better bet IMHO.
    >
    > While it depends on your use, games like supreme commander often have
    > the lowest frame rate. So IMHO in some cases it makes sense to pick a
    > CPU that has the best effect on the game with the lowest frame rate.
    > So if game A has 100fps on dual core and 92 on a quad, but supreme
    > commander has 32FPS on a dual core but 40FPS on a Quad, I'd go with
    > the quad as you can afford to drop 10% when you are up at 100fps, but
    > a 10~20% gain at 30fps is worth every effort IMHO.

    Oh, for sure. That'd be one of those exceptions I mentioned in another post
    in this thread. ;-)

    > If of course you dont touch quad enabled games then yes, dual core
    > without a doubt. Except (grin) I expect games to be going more and
    > more multi-core in the next year or two...so I think some thought
    > should be given to the performance over the life of the platform and
    > not what's best right now, at least thats how I am thinking.

    Yes, I think games are going to get even more 'more than dual' aware in the
    future. However, most games have a very long development cycle (years) so
    with a few exceptions, I don't think that going quad over dual is going to
    make as big a difference as getting a better GPU in the next few years. I
    think you could get that 10~20% FPS increase with a better GPU.

    I don't think that *only* having a dual core machine is going to
    significantly impact gameplay too much in the next few years as long as you
    have (and maybe upgrade) a "gaming" GPU.

    > One last point, if you do LANs and get your box to both serve and play
    > then a quad core might really shine, but Ive never seen a game test
    > that scenario.

    Heh! Neither have I. It's not exactly the usual set up of a power gamer.

    > oh and another last point, ;] the Q6600 has had a lot of attention by
    > overclockers so that (and indeed the dual core) is likely to have much
    > more articles/info out there for a beginner to successfully overclock
    > with than the AMD CPU.

    On that we agree. Intel Core 2 is where it's at now (and has been for at
    least a year). Perhaps, and hopefully, AMD will make a comeback and once
    again take the crown from Intel. For now, they're a fairly distant second as
    far as performance goes. Bang-for-the-buck in the mid-range they're not too
    bad. However, they're outclassed at the top, and for overclocking.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 3, 2008
  6. harrod

    harrod Guest

    Thanks for your opinions on the dual/quad core decision. I'll consider a
    E8400, I like the look of a gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P.

    You haven't quite answered my question though. Basically I want to know how
    do I choose the ram speed for the CPU? For the above cpu and Mobo the mobo
    says it supports DDR2 1200/1066/800/667. Can you choose any one of these or
    is it CPU dependant?

    I'm looking at 2x 2gb DDR2 800.

    cheers

    harrod, Jul 5, 2008
  7. harrod

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "harrod" typed:
    > Thanks for your opinions on the dual/quad core decision. I'll
    > consider a E8400, I like the look of a gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P.

    Ok.

    > You haven't quite answered my question though. Basically I want to
    > know how do I choose the ram speed for the CPU? For the above cpu
    > and Mobo the mobo says it supports DDR2 1200/1066/800/667. Can you
    > choose any one of these or is it CPU dependant?

    It's not CPU depandant anymore. Some say it's best to have the CPU FSB and
    the RAM at the same speed, others say there's nothing in it, asynchronous is
    fine. A lot of BIOS's allow you to run the RAM as a fraction of the FSB and
    vice-versa. e.g. 5/6, 3/4, 4/3, 6/5. Other do it differently.

    So basically buy either the fastest RAM you can afford if you're rich or,
    best advice, as thingy said, buy some DDR2-800 as it's best bang-for-buck
    right now.

    > I'm looking at 2x 2gb DDR2 800.

    800 is good.

    HTH,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 5, 2008
  8. harrod

    harrod Guest

    i'm still tempted to look at a quad core. Some reviews go dual cores way
    others go quad core. I'm looking at long term purchase here and don't want
    regret going dual core. But i suppose the Mobo i'm looking at can do both.

    is quad core going to be the standard soon with software to match?

    harrod, Jul 7, 2008
  9. harrod

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "harrod" typed:
    > i'm still tempted to look at a quad core. Some reviews go dual cores
    > way others go quad core. I'm looking at long term purchase here and
    > don't want regret going dual core. But i suppose the Mobo i'm
    > looking at can do both.
    > is quad core going to be the standard soon with software to match?

    Yes, depending on your definitions of "soon" and "standard". Some would say
    it already is the standard. However, I think that a large slice of the
    market is going to stay with dual cores for quite a while yet. From what I
    hear, in pre-built desktop machines duals are outselling quads 10:1. Not
    everyone is a power user or gamer.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.