    What RAM can I (probably) use?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark C, Feb 24, 2007

  2. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > I'm about to add some RAM to a system.
    >
    > The spec says use DDR-SDRAM DIMM PC2100 CL=2 or C=2.5
    >
    > Can I use PC3200 CL=3 instead?
    >
    > Some sites say that PC3200 is compatible with PC2700, PC2100 and
    > PC1600 (subject to the BIOS not barfing on the unexpected numbers).
    >
    > But MUST the CL number match?
    >
    > What RAM can I (probably) use?

    You shouldn't have any problems as long as it's not high-density RAM that
    your mobo can't use. Just to be safe, ask the supplier, tell them the mobo
    and ask if you can bring it back if it doesn't work. tell them you are
    careful about static. Another option is to use crucial's site to see what
    your mobo can use.

    Often, PC3200 (rated to 200MHz) cas 3 RAM will run fine at cas 2 at PC2100
    (133MHz) speed. Even if it doesn't it doesn't really matter, you can run it
    at cas 3 and only lose maybe 3% performance.

    Good luck.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2007

  3. Mark C

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > I'm about to add some RAM to a system.
    >
    > The spec says use DDR-SDRAM DIMM PC2100 CL=2 or C=2.5
    >
    > Can I use PC3200 CL=3 instead?
    >
    > Some sites say that PC3200 is compatible with PC2700, PC2100 and
    > PC1600 (subject to the BIOS not barfing on the unexpected numbers).
    >
    > But MUST the CL number match?

    Run Cpu Z it will tell you in the ram settings at what speed the ram is
    rated at. If the Cl doesn't match it should still work. If not go into the
    bios and look for the ram timings and disable the setting that gets the
    timings via SPD

    Craig Sutton, Feb 25, 2007