    they are DDR 400, or both?)

    What happens to the four numbers now? Dp they get averaged?

    Could I have put newer RAM in my asus A8N-SLI mobo? Like PC4400?
    Mastertone, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Mastertone

    nsag Guest

    32 bit XP and Vista cannot use 4gbs of RAM, regardless of what MS says. Also
    many motherboards have issues with their controllers and that much RAM.
    Theoretically 64 bit XP and Vista can use 4gbs of RAM.
    In the real world 64 bit XP and Vista cannot run most programs stably and
    lack drivers for most peripherals rendering them utterly useless.
    nsag, Jun 13, 2007

  3. Mastertone

    Paul Guest

    Mastertone wrote:
    > I have DDR 400 PC3200 in my MOBO. I upgraded from 2x1GB of PQI with
    > an additional 2x1GB of OCZ sticks. Not sure what the correct term is
    > for these four numbers, but the three-year old PQI is 3-4-4-8 and the
    > newer OCZ is 2-3-2-5.
    >
    > I assume they are compatible because they are both PC3200 (or because
    > they are DDR 400, or both?)
    >
    > What happens to the four numbers now? Dp they get averaged?
    >
    > Could I have put newer RAM in my asus A8N-SLI mobo? Like PC4400?

    All the RAM would be run at 3-4-4-8. That way, the PQI is exactly
    in spec, and the OCZ is not being stressed at all.

    You can experiment with the memory clock and Command Rate. DDR400
    Command Rate 2T might work, or perhaps DDR333 Command Rate 1T. The
    BIOS might select a more pessimistic setting.

    You should test, by booting something that won't get corrupted.
    A memtest86+ floppy is a good thing to start with. A Knoppix
    "Live" Linux CD makes a good OS to boot, as it needs no hard
    drive. Once everything looks good in your test environment,
    then you can go back and connect your hard drive to its
    controller, and boot back into Windows.

    Booting Windows directly, with an untested memory config,
    is just asking for trouble.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 14, 2007