    do to conserve resources?
    Thanks,
    J C

    J C, Dec 20, 2004

  2. J C

    Thor Guest

    Totally normal. Windows will normally leave some components of a program
    cached in memory for quicker access the next time you use it. (ever noticed
    how the program launches much quicker if you close down and relaunch a
    second time?) If another application requires more memory or resources,
    windows will dynamically unload or swap out what is not needed at that time
    and assign it to the program that does. What you describe is entirely normal
    windows operation. Nothing to worry about really.

    Thor, Dec 20, 2004

  3. J C

    Mark Mandell Guest

    > Please don't jeer this novice if this is an
    > overly simple question. At start-up, I have
    > 80% system resources available (384K
    > RAM), but seem to have dramatic loss
    > of available RAM as I open and close
    > programs. For instance, if the first application
    > I open after start-up is Outlook Express, after
    > closing I find my available resources down to
    > 74%. Is this normal? Is there something I can
    > do to conserve resources?
    > Thanks,
    > J C

    You can get pretty low on System Resources and you'd still be OK. It's when
    you're down to like 10% that you'd have reason to get concerned and have to
    start cutting back on some of your running programs.

    Mark Mandell, Dec 20, 2004