    advance.

    Hp pavilion 6835
    128mb ram

    Hugo, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Hugo

    half_pint Guest

    Well if you do sell if on ebay you will have to sell it as untested and
    I doubt you will find a buyer.

    I assume the ram woud have worked, but I am no expert on ram.
    In which case you woul have to sell (or rather not sell) it as faulty!!

    "Hugo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi my pc uses pc100 ram, i have 2 slots , that occupy 2 sticks of 64mb
    > totaling 128mb, recently i recieved a 128 mb of ram stick the only

    problem
    > its pc133, the 1st thing i tried is taking out all of the ram i have in my
    > pc and install only the new pc133 stick, it did not work, second thing i

    did
    > is leave on of the 64mb of ram pc100 in the slot , and in the remaining
    > slot insert the pc133 ram, did not recognize the pc133, and then i tried a
    > combination of swiching ram positions. Can some one tell me if this is

    even

    half_pint, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Hugo

    Pen Guest

    133 should work, if it was the wrong density, it
    would only be partially recognized. The symptoms
    you quote are that it is defective.

    Pen, Jul 4, 2004
  4. half_pint of piss wrote:
    > Well if you do sell if on ebay you will have to sell it as untested
    > and I doubt you will find a buyer.
    >
    > I assume the ram woud have worked, but I am no expert on ram.
    > In which case you woul have to sell (or rather not sell) it as
    > faulty!!

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

    half_pint of piss, the marred, racing burglar, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Hugo

    Pepperoni Guest

    I think that RAM needs to be inserted in matched pairs. Both slots need to
    be the same.

    Pepperoni, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Hugo

    Hugo Guest

    Ok, im planning on buying a stick of pc100 128mb from a friend of mine, the
    stick has been tested and works fine on his PC, will it work ok along a
    stick of pc100 64mb and that way i would have 192mb of ram ?, Thanks in
    advance.

    Hugo, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Hugo

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in

    > I think that RAM needs to be inserted in matched pairs. Both slots
    > need to be the same.

    I highly doubt that is the case. Aside from RAMBUS memory, you haven't
    needed to fill matching banks since EDO RAM.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Hugo

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Pepperoni wrote:
    > I think that RAM needs to be inserted in matched pairs. Both slots
    > need to be the same.

    Not "pc100/pc133" RAM. Take a refresher or refrain from advice on things you
    don't have knowledge of.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Hugo

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hugo wrote:
    > Ok, im planning on buying a stick of pc100 128mb from a friend of
    > mine, the stick has been tested and works fine on his PC, will it
    > work ok along a stick of pc100 64mb and that way i would have 192mb
    > of ram ?, Thanks in advance.

    It should do, although HP's can be fussy. If he's a friend he'll take it
    back if it doesn't work.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2004
  10. Hugo

    Thor Guest

    "Hugo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi my pc uses pc100 ram, i have 2 slots , that occupy 2 sticks of 64mb
    > totaling 128mb, recently i recieved a 128 mb of ram stick the only

    problem
    > its pc133, the 1st thing i tried is taking out all of the ram i have in my
    > pc and install only the new pc133 stick, it did not work, second thing i

    did
    > is leave on of the 64mb of ram pc100 in the slot , and in the remaining
    > slot insert the pc133 ram, did not recognize the pc133, and then i tried a
    > combination of swiching ram positions. Can some one tell me if this is

    even
    > possible, or should i just sell this pc133 of ram on ebay, thanks in
    > advance.

    Let me guess, the new PC-133 stick has 4 chips on it, and your existing ones
    have 8 chips? If so, it's a common problem I have run into in both PC-100
    and PC-133 SDRAM modules lately, and older systems, especially those with
    the old 440BX chipset, and the 810/815 chipsets. Your system may well
    support PC-100 or PC-133 modules in 128MB capacities, but some older
    motherboard chipsets do not support the newer 256Mbit density chips commonly
    being used today. On a 128MB module that uses 4 256Mbit chips, each chip is
    32MB for a total of 128MB. The older 128MB modules with 128Mbit densities
    had 16MB per chip, and used 8 chips for a total of 128MB. The best advice I
    can give you is to go to Crucial.com and plug your model# into their
    configuration matrix, and let them select the proper type of module(s) for
    your system, then purchase it. More than likely you will see a warning
    message that your system takes a specific type of SDRAM module. Looking up
    the specs on your machine reveals that it does indeed use an Intel 810
    chipset, and thus needs modules with 128Mbit chip density. If you don't
    order from crucial, look for modules with 8 chips on them.

    Thor, Jul 4, 2004
  11. Hugo

    steven67@ Guest

    Hugo wrote:

    > Hi my pc uses pc100 ram, i have 2 slots , that occupy 2 sticks of 64mb
    > totaling 128mb, recently i recieved a 128 mb of ram stick the only problem
    > its pc133, the 1st thing i tried is taking out all of the ram i have in my
    > pc and install only the new pc133 stick, it did not work, second thing i did
    > is leave on of the 64mb of ram pc100 in the slot , and in the remaining
    > slot insert the pc133 ram, did not recognize the pc133, and then i tried a
    > combination of swiching ram positions. Can some one tell me if this is even
    > possible, or should i just sell this pc133 of ram on ebay, thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Hp pavilion 6835
    > 128mb ram

    ..

    How many chips are on this 128MB DIMM, and what are the part numbers on the
    chips and DIMM?

    Does this 128MB DIMM only have four chips? If so, they are 16Mx16(256Mbit)
    chips. This system will not support 128MB DIMMs with only four chips.

    This system uses an Intel 810 chipset. It supports memory chip densities up to
    128Mbit. It will support 256MB DIMMs that use sixteen 16Mx8(128Mbit) chips. It
    will support 128MB DIMMs with either eight 16Mx8 chips, or sixteen 8Mx8(64Mbit)
    chips.

    steven67@, Jul 4, 2004
  12. Hugo

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Hugo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi my pc uses pc100 ram, i have 2 slots , that occupy 2 sticks of 64mb
    > totaling 128mb, recently i recieved a 128 mb of ram stick the only

    problem
    > its pc133, the 1st thing i tried is taking out all of the ram i have in my
    > pc and install only the new pc133 stick, it did not work, second thing i

    did
    > is leave on of the 64mb of ram pc100 in the slot , and in the remaining
    > slot insert the pc133 ram, did not recognize the pc133, and then i tried a
    > combination of swiching ram positions. Can some one tell me if this is

    even
    > possible, or should i just sell this pc133 of ram on ebay, thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Hp pavilion 6835
    > 128mb ram

    Maybe your motherboard doesn't accept PC133? The RAM may work fine, but your
    motherboard doesn't support it.

    Thats what it sounds like to me.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jul 4, 2004
  13. Hugo

    Paul Murphy Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I think that RAM needs to be inserted in matched pairs. Both slots
    > > need to be the same.

    > I highly doubt that is the case. Aside from RAMBUS memory, you haven't
    > needed to fill matching banks since EDO RAM.

    And with *some* RAMBUS/RDRAM motherboards, filling both slots may entail a
    RIMM in the first slot and a (non-matching) Continuity-RIMM (CRIMM) in the
    second - ie only one stick of memory is essential and the CRIMM is basically
    a blanking module to terminate the memory bus. An example is the Asus P3C-E.

    Paul Murphy

    Paul Murphy, Jul 4, 2004