    answer anywhere for want of trying.

    (Apologies if this has been answered before; I can't find it anywhere in
    this group)

    Gary Woodward, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Gary Woodward

    Jerry G. Guest

    The RAM's have to be exactly matched. I would suggest changing them all
    together to achieve this. You can probably sell your old ones, or use them
    for making a new machine. You can put together a second basic machine,
    network it to the main one, and use it as a file server, or proxy. This is
    an interesting project, and you will learn a lot once you get in to
    networking. Networking is the big thing now.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "Gary Woodward" <> wrote in message
    I am learning system building, and have a custom-built computer which I am
    always upgrading. I currently have 512MB of RAM in my windows system, but
    have taken a liking to graphic design using Photoshop and would therefore
    like to buy more. My question is, will a stick of 512MB unbuffered DDR RAM
    work with the 512MB I already have (2x256MB sticks), which are both
    Registered memory?

    I know that I won't have a problem running 1GB on my motherboard, that I
    have plenty of slots to cope with it, and that XP Home can *definitely*
    handle it, but I am unsure about the compatibility and cannot find the

    Jerry G., Dec 2, 2003

  3. The RAM's do *not* have to be exactly matched. I'm not sure whether they
    need to be matched as far as registered RAM is concerned but they do
    *not* need to be matched in terms of capacity. Not even dual
    channel-except that for dual channel RAM each *pair* needs to match.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Gary Woodward

    Shaun Rigby Guest

    Ram has to be matched by type, DDR will only work with DDR and SD-Ram will
    only work wih SD-Ram

    Shaun Rigby, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Correct. That's at least one exception that I missed. Thanks.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Gary Woodward

    Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:25:44 -0000, "Gary Woodward"
    <> wrote:

    >I am learning system building, and have a custom-built computer which I am
    >always upgrading. I currently have 512MB of RAM in my windows system, but
    >have taken a liking to graphic design using Photoshop and would therefore
    >like to buy more. My question is, will a stick of 512MB unbuffered DDR RAM
    >work with the 512MB I already have (2x256MB sticks), which are both
    >Registered memory?
    >
    >I know that I won't have a problem running 1GB on my motherboard, that I
    >have plenty of slots to cope with it, and that XP Home can *definitely*
    >handle it, but I am unsure about the compatibility and cannot find the
    >answer anywhere for want of trying.
    >
    >(Apologies if this has been answered before; I can't find it anywhere in
    >this group)

    Get 2 512s. Put them in slots 1 and 2. Move the 256s to slots 3 and 4.

    Or add 2 more 256s to slots 3 and 4.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Dec 3, 2003
  7. Gary Woodward

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > The RAM's have to be exactly matched. I would suggest changing them all
    > together to achieve this. You can probably sell your old ones, or use

    them
    > for making a new machine.

    Yeah, every time I have an extra memory module laying around, I build a new
    computer around it too!

    Michael-NC, Dec 4, 2003