    the RAM is matching 4x1GB 800mhz
    oh, and i have installed the visit 64-bit patch that is supposed to deal
    with it

    james, Dec 20, 2007

  2. james

    Ken Triebold Guest

    As a first step I would try adding your new RAM one stick at a time. This
    would tell you if the problem is related to one of your new sticks.

    Ken Triebold, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Is your BIOS up to date?

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Colin's suggestion about the BIOS is a good one - there can be issues with
    some mobo BIOS versions and 4GB or more.

    Next, try pulling your original 2GB and putting in only the second 2GB. See
    if the performance issues are related to that particular RAM, or the
    quantity.

    A good RAM tester would be a worthwhile check as well - I know I've used
    memtest86 in the past with good success.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 20, 2007
  5. james

    Kue2 Guest

    Charlie is there a memtest for Vista 64?

    Kue2, Dec 20, 2007
  6. runs below the OS level, so it doesn't matter. I've forgotten whether it's a
    boot floppy or boot CD, but IAC, it doesn't have anything to do with Vista
    at that point.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 20, 2007
  7. james

    John Barnes Guest

    Both are available on the net. .iso or bootable floppy.

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2007
  8. Thanks, John.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 21, 2007
  9. james

    xiowan Guest

    Hello "james":
    I have an Intel Q6600 cpu on an Intel DG965WH board and the exact same
    thing happened to me. I tried the patch also with no help. I replaced 2 1GB
    RAM modules with 512MB for a total of 3 GB RAM and the pc now works
    beautifully. I'm sure if I spent hours and hours seeking a solution to the
    problem of 4GB on Vista Ultimate, I might find the perfect solution but I'm
    happy with 3GB's performance. I don't think your problem is with the memory
    either. More likely the O.S./motherboard/RAM combination not working
    together as they should. I have yet to see a store ad for a Quadcore pc with
    4 GBs RAM.....they always advertise 3 GBs. Could be to hold down the price
    or could be the same problem we have seen with 4GBs!

    xiowan..........in tucson

    xiowan, Jan 11, 2008
  10. You are correct. It is the combination. pc6400 ram seems to be the type
    associated with this. Try pc5300 ram if you can and see. The issue appears
    to arise with a stick of pc6400 ram in the fourth dimm slot. It is not the
    amount of ram (it happens with 2GB sticks as well). If you want 4GB of
    pc6400, use a pair of 2GB sticks and you will be fine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 11, 2008
  11. james

    xiowan Guest

    Hello "Colin":
    Thanks for the info! Wish I had read of that issue sooner. I just
    purchased 4 512MB sticks of DDR2 800 Mhz RAM to get down to 3 GB on my 2
    Vista pcs! I have 4 leftover 1GB sticks of DDR2 667Mhz I used before
    switching to Vista but don't think I will go to the expense of buying 2 2GB
    sticks of DDR2 800 Mhz to see if they will work with my board and Vista.
    Both Vista PCs are working beautifully with just 3 GB of 800 Mhz although the
    Task Mgr is showing Vista as using close to all of the memory but it would
    probably show the same result if I doubled the memory LOL! I wish Intel had
    warned of this issue before I purchased 3 motherboards they said supported 4
    GBs of DDR2 800 Mhz RAM. I was very careful to research everything about the
    board, including any possible memory issues and am disappointed that I won't
    be able to use the boards as planned.

    xiowan........in tucson

    xiowan, Jan 11, 2008
  12. I am using 3x2GB pc6400 in one box and seeing 6143mb of ram. The fourth
    stick prevents Windows from loading. The performance difference between 3GB
    and 6GB on this box is dramatic in terms of hard drive activity. That 4th
    GB in your system would make a difference, believe me.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 11, 2008
  13. james

    xiowan Guest

    Hello "Colin":
    Question about your statement: "I am using 3x2GB pc6400".....can your pc
    run in dual channel mode when you have unequal amounts of RAM in the two
    channels? My Intel manual says if I run 3 sticks that the 3rd stick must be
    equal to the the total of the two sticks in the first channel to enable dual
    channel operation. For example 2 1GB sticks in the first 2 slots and 1 2GB
    stick in the 3rd (or 4th) slot would result in dual channel operation whereas
    using a 1GB in the 3rd slot with two 1GB in the first 2 slots would result in
    single channel operation. Does this prerequisite vary from board to board or
    are you operating in single channel mode?

    xiowan.........in tucson

    xiowan, Jan 11, 2008
  14. No, I cannot run in dual channel this way. That doesn't bother me since
    everything is so fast on this box as it is.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 11, 2008
  15. james

    xiowan Guest

    Hello"Colin":
    Whew! I was beginning to think that my board couldn't do stuff your's
    could!

    xiowan........in tucson

    xiowan, Jan 11, 2008
  16. james

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    I got stable operation with 4 x 2GB of DDR2-6400 ram by setting the bios to
    run it at 667MHz instead of the default 800 MHz. With an Intel 6850 cpu
    which has a 1333 MHz bus, the performance difference between ram running at
    full 800 MHz speed and reduced to 667 MHz speed was negligible. I'm guessing
    that's because 667 MHz is 1:1 synchronous with the 1333 MHz processor bus
    (one is quad-speed and one is double speed, so the basic bus in both cases
    is 333 MHz).

    Paul Shapiro, Jan 12, 2008
  17. Yes, most of the buzz on the mobo forums on this topic involves discussion
    of where to set the dram voltage to get 6400 down to a speed that works.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 12, 2008
  18. james

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    I left the voltage at the standard 1.8. I would expect lower ram speed to
    always work at default voltage? Maybe some ram is programmed for higher
    voltage at its default speed, and when you switch to manual control you have
    to manually specify higher than default voltage? Some utilities show the
    ram's SPD programming. I use Lavalys Everest which shows the programmed
    timings and the current actual timings. It also displays a value for ram
    voltage, which I assume is the current ram voltage.

    Paul Shapiro, Jan 12, 2008