    ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any ideas as to why my pc will not
    register the 2nd chip ?

    Thanks in advance.
    2yngforthis, Jan 3, 2005

  2. 2yngforthis

    Thagor Guest

    "2yngforthis" <> wrote in
    news:lp0Cd.5676$:

    > I have a MSI 6390 MB w/ 256 2100 speed DDR ram. I bought another chip
    > of the same ram
    > and installed the pc didn't recognize it. I returned and got another
    > chip and had the same problem.
    > I've tried running the new chip by itself and it worked fine. i tried
    > swapping the slots for the chips and it still only recognizes 256. I
    > downloaded software (everest home) and it detects the second chip in
    > the 2nd dimm slot but also shows the computer as only running 256
    > megs. Ive went throught the mb manual and the motherboard is capable
    > of having 2 gigs of ram. I then thot about updatingthe bios drives but
    > skimmed thru the updates and none of the newer ones had a mention of a
    > problem or fix if detecting ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any
    > ideas as to why my pc will not register the 2nd chip ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Yep. Wrong ram.
    Thagor, Jan 3, 2005

  3. 2yngforthis

    Drifter Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:33:21 GMT, "2yngforthis"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a MSI 6390 MB w/ 256 2100 speed DDR ram. I bought another chip of
    >the same ram
    >and installed the pc didn't recognize it. I returned and got another chip
    >and had the same problem.
    > I've tried running the new chip by itself and it worked fine. i tried
    >swapping the slots for the chips and it still only recognizes 256. I
    >downloaded software (everest home) and it detects the second chip in the 2nd
    >dimm slot but also shows the computer as only running 256 megs. Ive went
    >throught the mb manual and the motherboard is capable of having 2 gigs of
    >ram. I then thot about updatingthe bios drives but skimmed thru the updates
    >and none of the newer ones had a mention of a problem or fix if detecting
    >ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any ideas as to why my pc will not
    >register the 2nd chip ?

    Some types of RAM simply do not "play well" together. I always try to
    buy my RAM in matched sets, or at least in the same brand.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Jan 3, 2005
  4. 2yngforthis

    2yngforthis Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:33:21 GMT, "2yngforthis"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a MSI 6390 MB w/ 256 2100 speed DDR ram. I bought another chip of
    >>the same ram
    >>and installed the pc didn't recognize it. I returned and got another chip
    >>and had the same problem.
    >> I've tried running the new chip by itself and it worked fine. i tried
    >>swapping the slots for the chips and it still only recognizes 256. I
    >>downloaded software (everest home) and it detects the second chip in the
    >>2nd
    >>dimm slot but also shows the computer as only running 256 megs. Ive went
    >>throught the mb manual and the motherboard is capable of having 2 gigs of
    >>ram. I then thot about updatingthe bios drives but skimmed thru the
    >>updates
    >>and none of the newer ones had a mention of a problem or fix if detecting
    >>ram.. Im hesitant to make that jump. Any ideas as to why my pc will not
    >>register the 2nd chip ?

    > Some types of RAM simply do not "play well" together. I always try to
    > buy my RAM in matched sets, or at least in the same brand.
    >

    > Drifter
    > "I've been here, I've been there..."

    I came to the same conclusion so i went and bought 2 chips of Kingston 512
    sticks
    and my pc would not even boot when they were installed.... Anyone have this
    mb
    with upgraded ram ? I'm weary of which chips to buy.
    2yngforthis, Jan 3, 2005
  5. 2yngforthis

    Thor Guest

    Crucial matched compatible memory for your MSI 6390 motherboard.

    http://tinyurl.com/5ypnr

    If the ones crucial recommends do not work in your system, then I would
    suspect something wrong with your board.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2005