    diffrence with another 256 on a 1.7 celeron or should i upgrade my cpu. not
    heavy into games they run ok anyway it really seems to slow down when i get
    too many things open at once

    Brad, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Brad

    MrToad Guest

    "Brad" <> Ran in the back door and shouted

    > Is 256 enough ram anymore or is everyone got 512 will i notice a big
    > diffrence with another 256 on a 1.7 celeron or should i upgrade my
    > cpu. not heavy into games they run ok anyway it really seems to slow
    > down when i get too many things open at once

    In your case ram would be the smart choice.
    More ram will help with your slow downs....

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Brad

    bmoag Guest

    A lot depends on how you use the computer.
    If you do not do digital image processing then more ram,but if you run Win9x
    no more than 512mbs as the OS does not handle greater amounts well.
    If you do digital image processing a non-Celeron processor will be faster
    because of the difference in on-chip cache. You should also increase the
    amount of memory.

    bmoag, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Brad

    jtw Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:00:58 -0500, "Brad" <>
    wrote:

    >Is 256 enough ram anymore or is everyone got 512 will i notice a big
    >diffrence with another 256 on a 1.7 celeron or should i upgrade my cpu. not
    >heavy into games they run ok anyway it really seems to slow down when i get
    >too many things open at once

    Lots of memory will do you good. A very fast hard drive does not hurt
    either.

    jtw

    --
    UsenetRocket.com - Know the Difference
    http://www.UsenetRocket.com

    jtw, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Brad

    Brad Guest

    thanks everyone

    Brad, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Brad

    mark mandell Guest

    "Brad" <> wrote in message
    > Is 256 enough ram anymore or is everyone got 512 will i notice a big
    > diffrence with another 256 on a 1.7 celeron or should i upgrade my cpu.

    not
    > heavy into games they run ok anyway it really seems to slow down when i

    get
    > too many things open at once

    Certainly more RAM could help but if you cut down noticeably on the # of
    programs running that in itself would help things.

    mark mandell, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Brad

    MrToad Guest

    "bmoag" <> Ran in the back door and shouted

    > A lot depends on how you use the computer.
    > If you do not do digital image processing then more ram,but if you run
    > Win9x no more than 512mbs as the OS does not handle greater amounts
    > well. If you do digital image processing a non-Celeron processor will
    > be faster because of the difference in on-chip cache. You should also
    > increase the amount of memory.

    Just FYI, there is a work around for the greater than 512MB ram issue under
    Win9x;
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q253912

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Dec 1, 2003
  8. Brad

    Plato Guest

    Brad wrote:

    > Is 256 enough ram anymore or is everyone got 512 will i notice a big

    512 is the basic these days really. Oddly, silly compaqs I hear with XP
    still come with 128 by default if I'm not mistaken.

    Plato, Dec 4, 2003