    decide if I need 120 meg ram or if 64 will be adequate or if it really makes
    a difference.

    Thanks

    Mike L, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Mike L

    Photon Guest

    You need enough RAM to support 24 or 32bpp at your screen resolution. For a
    1600x1200 resolution, that would be less than 8MB.

    Most current graphic cards have a lot more memory than that, which is used
    to store textures for 3D scenes rendering.

    Needless to say, there is not much difference between 64 and 120 Megs
    (everything else being equal) for what retouching concerns.

    However, it pays to have a high-end card with quality components on the VGA
    (analog) output. With a poor VGA output, the screen may be a bit fuzzy, the
    colors could smear. There is not straightforward way to tell that from the
    spec, but you can look at the RAMDAC bandwidth: the higher the better
    (again, everything else being equal). I guess it is less critical if you use
    a DVI (digital) output to an LCD panel.

    Photon, Jul 23, 2003