    no changes made to the system before reinstallation. Any ideas on what's
    going on?
    TIA
    Canon Guy, Jan 7, 2008

  2. Canon Guy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:26:15 -0600, "Canon Guy" <>
    wrote:

    >XP Home, SP2, Two 512 MB sticks of RAM. All updates. Device Manager looks
    >fine. Just reloaded OS and all is well, with one exception. When I rt. click
    >'My Computer' > Properties, it indicates 480 MB of RAM (32 MB onboard
    >Video). If I open Aida SysInfo, it shows both sticks of installed RAM (even
    >their serial numbers). In prior OS installation all was normal. There were
    >no changes made to the system before reinstallation. Any ideas on what's
    >going on?

    What does your BIOS say?

    Try one stick at a time, see if one is bad.
    Evan Platt, Jan 7, 2008

  3. Canon Guy

    Guest

    "Canon Guy" <> wrote:

    >XP Home, SP2, Two 512 MB sticks of RAM. All updates. Device Manager looks
    >fine. Just reloaded OS and all is well, with one exception. When I rt. click
    >'My Computer' > Properties, it indicates 480 MB of RAM (32 MB onboard
    >Video). If I open Aida SysInfo, it shows both sticks of installed RAM (even
    >their serial numbers). In prior OS installation all was normal. There were
    >no changes made to the system before reinstallation. Any ideas on what's
    >going on?
    >TIA

    480 + 32 = 512, no problems

    --

    Cursor * 10
    http://www.nekogames.jp/mt/2008/01/cursor10.html
  4. Canon Guy

    Guest

    , Jan 7, 2008
  5. Canon Guy

    Plato Guest

    Canon Guy wrote:

    > XP Home, SP2, Two 512 MB sticks of RAM. All updates. Device Manager looks
    > fine. Just reloaded OS and all is well, with one exception. When I rt. click
    > 'My Computer' > Properties, it indicates 480 MB of RAM (32 MB onboard
    > Video). If I open Aida SysInfo, it shows both sticks of installed RAM (even
    > their serial numbers). In prior OS installation all was normal. There were
    > no changes made to the system before reinstallation. Any ideas on what's
    > going on?

    Everything seems perfect to me.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 8, 2008
  6. Canon Guy

    chuckcar Guest

    "Canon Guy" <> wrote in

    > XP Home, SP2, Two 512 MB sticks of RAM. All updates. Device Manager
    > looks fine. Just reloaded OS and all is well, with one exception. When
    > I rt. click 'My Computer' > Properties, it indicates 480 MB of RAM (32
    > MB onboard Video). If I open Aida SysInfo, it shows both sticks of
    > installed RAM (even their serial numbers). In prior OS installation
    > all was normal. There were no changes made to the system before
    > reinstallation. Any ideas on what's going on?
    > TIA

    Try taking one stick out and leaving the other in. Then switch them. One
    is either the wrong type or bad.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 8, 2008
  7. Canon Guy

    Buffalo Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Canon Guy" <> wrote in
    >
    > > XP Home, SP2, Two 512 MB sticks of RAM. All updates. Device Manager
    > > looks fine. Just reloaded OS and all is well, with one exception. When
    > > I rt. click 'My Computer' > Properties, it indicates 480 MB of RAM (32
    > > MB onboard Video). If I open Aida SysInfo, it shows both sticks of
    > > installed RAM (even their serial numbers). In prior OS installation
    > > all was normal. There were no changes made to the system before
    > > reinstallation. Any ideas on what's going on?
    > > TIA
    > >

    > Try taking one stick out and leaving the other in. Then switch them. One
    > is either the wrong type or bad.

    I really doubt the wrong type since it worked before the reinstall.
    Buffalo, Jan 9, 2008
  8. Canon Guy

    Canon Guy Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in message

    > I really doubt the wrong type since it worked before the reinstall.

    The confusing part is that it IS recognized by Aida SysInfo.
    Canon Guy, Jan 9, 2008
  9. Canon Guy

    chuckcar Guest

    "Canon Guy" <> wrote in

    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> I really doubt the wrong type since it worked before the reinstall.
    >>

    > The confusing part is that it IS recognized by Aida SysInfo.

    Just try it to see what happens. I haven't seen any *other* suggestions
    BTW. The odds are excellent you'll get a POST code on boot with one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 10, 2008
  10. Canon Guy

    chuckcar Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Canon Guy" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > XP Home, SP2, Two 512 MB sticks of RAM. All updates. Device Manager
    >> > looks fine. Just reloaded OS and all is well, with one exception.
    >> > When I rt. click 'My Computer' > Properties, it indicates 480 MB of
    >> > RAM (32 MB onboard Video). If I open Aida SysInfo, it shows both
    >> > sticks of installed RAM (even their serial numbers). In prior OS
    >> > installation all was normal. There were no changes made to the
    >> > system before reinstallation. Any ideas on what's going on?
    >> > TIA
    >> >

    >> Try taking one stick out and leaving the other in. Then switch them.
    >> One is either the wrong type or bad.
    >>

    > I really doubt the wrong type since it worked before the reinstall.

    Hmm. a First time poster using OE. I'm sure you're going to be a *real*
    expert. And you are suggesting what to fix the problem again?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 10, 2008
  11. Canon Guy

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >>> Try taking one stick out and leaving the other in. Then switch them.
    >>> One is either the wrong type or bad.

    >> I really doubt the wrong type since it worked before the reinstall.

    >Hmm. a First time poster using OE. I'm sure you're going to be a *real*
    >expert. And you are suggesting what to fix the problem again?

    Gotta start somewhere and at sometime.

    No help here, ram can really throw ya some loops - But I'd take a can
    of air to the slots.
    --

    Material Turns All Surfaces into Stereo
    http://tinyurl.com/37y6zw
  12. Canon Guy

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    >>> I really doubt the wrong type since it worked before the reinstall.

    >>Hmm. a First time poster using OE. I'm sure you're going to be a
    >>*real* expert. And you are suggesting what to fix the problem again?

    > Gotta start somewhere and at sometime.
    >
    > No help here, ram can really throw ya some loops - But I'd take a can
    > of air to the slots.

    Swapping the sticks checks more than one thing too: the syicks are in
    properly, whether they're still good, if they're (this is a tough one,
    but can happen) in backwards, the list goes on and on. The same priciple
    applies to any connection - boards, usb, power plugs, you name it. What
    kills me is this is a *basic* thing to do, not unusual at all.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 10, 2008
  13. Canon Guy

    Canon Guy Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    > Swapping the sticks checks more than one thing too: the syicks are in
    > properly, whether they're still good, if they're (this is a tough one,
    > but can happen) in backwards, the list goes on and on. The same priciple
    > applies to any connection - boards, usb, power plugs, you name it. What
    > kills me is this is a *basic* thing to do, not unusual at all.

    That's what I'll do - as soon as I muster the ambition to pull the computer
    from the shelf. :) It's the eMachine to the left of the breadboard
    comp on the cabinet door at top right. See it here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2053802734&size=o
    Canon Guy, Jan 10, 2008
  14. Canon Guy

    Canon Guy Guest

    Thanks for the help guys! 'preciate it.
    Canon Guy, Jan 10, 2008
  15. Canon Guy

    chuckcar Guest

    "Canon Guy" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Swapping the sticks checks more than one thing too: the syicks are in
    >> properly, whether they're still good, if they're (this is a tough
    >> one, but can happen) in backwards, the list goes on and on. The same
    >> priciple applies to any connection - boards, usb, power plugs, you
    >> name it. What kills me is this is a *basic* thing to do, not unusual
    >> at all.

    > That's what I'll do - as soon as I muster the ambition to pull the
    > computer from the shelf. :) It's the eMachine to the left of the
    > breadboard comp on the cabinet door at top right. See it here:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2053802734&size=o

    Nice setup. Shame it has to be filled with consumer desktops <g>.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 10, 2008
  16. Canon Guy

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Jan 10, 2008
  17. Canon Guy

    Canon Guy Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Canon Guy" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Swapping the sticks checks more than one thing too: the syicks are in
    >>> properly, whether they're still good, if they're (this is a tough
    >>> one, but can happen) in backwards, the list goes on and on. The same
    >>> priciple applies to any connection - boards, usb, power plugs, you
    >>> name it. What kills me is this is a *basic* thing to do, not unusual
    >>> at all.

    >> That's what I'll do - as soon as I muster the ambition to pull the
    >> computer from the shelf. :) It's the eMachine to the left of the
    >> breadboard comp on the cabinet door at top right. See it here:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2053802734&size=o
    >>

    > Nice setup. Shame it has to be filled with consumer desktops <g>.

    LOL - Four of the boxes are self-built - with specs that'd blow you away.
    The others are gradually being replaced. None have less than 1 GB of RAM,
    most have at least 750 GB of storage, two have 1.5 TB each. The entire wall
    contains 17 HD's. The cabling is awe inspiring. :) An outbuilding contains
    all of the backup hardware. Not everything is running at once, so the UPS is
    only a 2 megawatt unit. My biggest mistake was not building the cabinet
    system with rear access. Next time for sure.
    Canon Guy, Jan 10, 2008
  18. Canon Guy

    Canon Guy Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:27:47 -0600, "Canon Guy" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2053802734&size=o

    > Awesome... My hero. You looking to adopt?

    LOL, no but in my remote area it's hard to find enthusiasts to share the fun
    with.
    Canon Guy, Jan 10, 2008
  19. Canon Guy

    G. Morgan Guest

    Canon Guy wrote:

    >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Canon Guy" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    >>> That's what I'll do - as soon as I muster the ambition to pull the
    >>> computer from the shelf. :) It's the eMachine to the left of the
    >>> breadboard comp on the cabinet door at top right. See it here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2053802734&size=o
    >>>

    >> Nice setup. Shame it has to be filled with consumer desktops <g>.

    >LOL - Four of the boxes are self-built - with specs that'd blow you away.
    >The others are gradually being replaced. None have less than 1 GB of RAM,
    >most have at least 750 GB of storage, two have 1.5 TB each. The entire wall
    >contains 17 HD's. The cabling is awe inspiring. :) An outbuilding contains
    >all of the backup hardware. Not everything is running at once, so the UPS is
    >only a 2 megawatt unit. My biggest mistake was not building the cabinet
    >system with rear access. Next time for sure.

    What do you do with all that hardware? Color me impressed!

    --

    -G
    G. Morgan, Jan 10, 2008
  20. Canon Guy

    Canon Guy Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message

    > What do you do with all that hardware? Color me impressed!

    Mostly music and video editing, with a healthy measure of photographic work.
    How 'bout 130,000 + of mp3's? Each box has its own USB hub, so when I need
    help I just plug in another KB/Mouse and away he can go. If I accidentally
    sweep my mouse across a monitor he's using, it steals his cursor. Gotta
    figger that one out - another question for the group I suppose :)
    Canon Guy, Jan 10, 2008