    refuses to boot. i get an error message that flashes by to fast to read,
    and than the safe mode screen. regardless of what boot mode I select it
    just reboots to the same thing. Any ideas?
    Bob Peterson, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Bob Peterson

    Helen Guest

    "Bob Peterson" <> wrote in message
    news:bm7qn7$jera7$-berlin.de...
    : I just went to a compusa store, bought a 256mb pc133 memory upgrade and
    : installed it in my nec ready 9910. the guy at the repair desk that sold
    it
    : to me assured me it would be Ok to use PC133 even though the existing ones
    : are PC100 (2x 64MB). When I installed it, the bios setup sees 64mb in
    each
    : of the first two slots, and 256mb in the third slot, but windows xp just
    : refuses to boot. i get an error message that flashes by to fast to read,
    : and than the safe mode screen. regardless of what boot mode I select it
    : just reboots to the same thing. Any ideas?
    :
    :
    In some machines you can't mix ram. And it will run only as fast as the
    slower one. If you take out the new RAM stick, can you boot? Have you
    tried rearranging the sticks of RAM? I have a P2, and upgraded from 64 MB
    RAM to 128 MB. But the 128MB is in one stick. The 64MB one would not mix,
    so it's lying on the bookcase. Have you gone to the Mfgr site for info?

    Helen

    ---
    Helen, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Bob Peterson

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    > I just went to a compusa store, bought a 256mb pc133 memory upgrade and
    > installed it in my nec ready 9910. the guy at the repair desk that sold

    it
    > to me assured me it would be Ok to use PC133 even though the existing ones
    > are PC100 (2x 64MB). When I installed it, the bios setup sees 64mb in

    each
    > of the first two slots, and 256mb in the third slot, but windows xp just
    > refuses to boot. i get an error message that flashes by to fast to read,
    > and than the safe mode screen. regardless of what boot mode I select it
    > just reboots to the same thing. Any ideas?

    PC133 will work in place of PC100. It's backwards compatible. Try removing
    the two 64 MB modules and install just the 256 MB module. If that works,
    plug in one extra module at a time. If it refuses to run with one or two 64
    MB modules, or it won't run with just the 256 MB module, it or one of the
    other modules may be defective.
    You can test the memory modules with memtest86:
    www.memtest86.com

    It's free and it runs from a floppy in DOS mode.

    dr_hardwrae, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Bob Peterson

    Helen Guest

    Oh yeah, I also meant to include the note that some MB's or BIOS have
    a set MAX amount of memory that can be used. Just a thought.

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    :
    : "Bob Peterson" <> wrote in message
    : news:bm7qn7$jera7$-berlin.de...
    : : I just went to a compusa store, bought a 256mb pc133 memory upgrade and
    : : installed it in my nec ready 9910. the guy at the repair desk that sold
    : it
    : : to me assured me it would be Ok to use PC133 even though the existing
    ones
    : : are PC100 (2x 64MB). When I installed it, the bios setup sees 64mb in
    : each
    : : of the first two slots, and 256mb in the third slot, but windows xp
    just
    : : refuses to boot. i get an error message that flashes by to fast to
    read,
    : : and than the safe mode screen. regardless of what boot mode I select it
    : : just reboots to the same thing. Any ideas?
    : :
    : :
    : In some machines you can't mix ram. And it will run only as fast as the
    : slower one. If you take out the new RAM stick, can you boot? Have you
    : tried rearranging the sticks of RAM? I have a P2, and upgraded from 64 MB
    : RAM to 128 MB. But the 128MB is in one stick. The 64MB one would not
    mix,
    : so it's lying on the bookcase. Have you gone to the Mfgr site for info?
    :
    : Helen
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : ---
    :
    :

    ---
    Helen, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Bob Peterson

    Kenny Guest

    I mixed 123MB PC100 and 256MB PC133 on an Asus K7M and it worked OK, both
    running at 110MHz. Make sure the slower memory is in the first slot and
    look in BIOS for "set memory timing by SPD (serial presence detect)".
    Wording may be slightly different depending on BIOS type.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 11, 2003
  6. Bob Peterson

    Mike0000 Guest

    Bob Peterson wrote:

    > I just went to a compusa store, bought a 256mb pc133 memory upgrade and
    > installed it in my nec ready 9910. the guy at the repair desk that sold it
    > to me assured me it would be Ok to use PC133 even though the existing ones
    > are PC100 (2x 64MB). When I installed it, the bios setup sees 64mb in each
    > of the first two slots, and 256mb in the third slot, but windows xp just
    > refuses to boot. i get an error message that flashes by to fast to read,
    > and than the safe mode screen. regardless of what boot mode I select it
    > just reboots to the same thing. Any ideas?

    Some PC133 is NOT backwards compatible. Double check the model on the
    web and see what you get.

    Also, the largest RAM should go in the first slots then work your way
    towards the other slots. Some boards may not like that fact that you
    are not putting in pairs.

    I would remove the old RAM, put in the new and boot it up. If all goes
    well try putting the old RAM back after the new RAM and see what
    happens. You may have to throw the old RAM away if its not working for
    you and keep the 256 module.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now