    I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody here
    go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I know it
    would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?

    Larry Hodges, May 15, 2006

  2. Larry Hodges

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    Me! :p
    I upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM on my x64 system in January.
    There was not a big speed increase, but I often run several VMs at once and
    was running into problems with not having enough memory.

    It depends what you are using your machine for. If you find yourself often
    using more than 2 GB of memory (Performance tab of the Task Manager gives an
    indication of how much you are using) then it might help, but I imagine you
    are pretty busy with your machine if that is the case.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, May 15, 2006

  3. Larry Hodges

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    It's also worth noting that, depending on your motherboard, your system may
    not recognize the full 4 GB. My system only sees 3.25 GB. (My board had a
    warning about this in the instruction manual.)

    I think there is a recent thread about this in this newsgroup, but I can't
    seem to find it at the moment. Anyway, this has to do with the max
    addressable memory of a 32-bit system being 4 GB, and other devices needing
    addresses within that 4 GB space.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, May 15, 2006
  4. Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    In 32-bit Windows it would be a waste of money to go to 4GB but would be
    reasonable to go to 3GB.

    In x64 it is meaningful to go to 4GB. Unfortunately there are a lot of
    motherboards that are marketed as being capable of 4GB but that really
    aren't. Two exceptions are the ASUS SLI Deluxe which several people have
    recommended, and Foxconn some model number with NVidia nForce 430 and 6150
    chips where 4GB is working for me. I only need it for virtual machines but
    I'd guess users of Autocad and a few other programs would benefit from it
    too.

    Norman Diamond, May 15, 2006
  5. Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    What are you doing on your machine? Are you currently RAM starved? An
    ordinary machine, doing ordinary things? Probably no difference at all. (And
    keep in mind what folks are saying about losing some of that RAM space to
    mobo problems.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2006
  6. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    I regularly have 1.5gb in use according to Task Manager. My Peak today is
    1678108k. But I very seldom go over 2gb. Mainly gaming is what is so
    demanding. Quake4 pushes 2gb.

    I just wondered if the OS would preload certain items if it detected an
    abundance of RAM. Which would speed things up of course, not having to call
    them off the HD.

    Larry Hodges, May 15, 2006
  7. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    Mine sees up to 8gb:
    http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=284

    Larry Hodges, May 15, 2006
  8. Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    Well, to some extent it might. But a better way to go would be to invest in
    one of these new "hybrid" drives, if absolute drive speed is an issue for
    you. I expect to see them come down to reasonable levels in a year or two,
    but right now they're not, really.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2006
  9. Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    By default on XP (32 bit or 64 bit) the system will not expand the system
    cache (cache things accessed from disk) beyond a small size (10Mb on 32 bit
    Windows not sure if it's different for x64) unless you enable System Cache
    Mode, which uses all free memory as disk cache minus 4Mb.

    By default on Server 2003 (32 bit or 64 bit) System Cache Mode is enabled.

    A good article which explains how to do this and what it does is the aptly
    titled 'Things to consider before you enable System cache mode in Windows
    XP' here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895932

    Caveat user - Your mileage may vary - I typically enable System Cache Mode
    on systems with >1Gb RAM and have experienced generally positive results.
    It's pretty dependant on your user profile, how many apps you run, and if
    those apps share common DLLs/resources, which is generally true for servers.
    Gaming may be a client type scenario which would benefit...

    Try it out and let me know how you get on.

    Cheers
    Simon.

    --
    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com

    Simon Meacham, May 15, 2006
  10. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    Thanks Simon. I did enable it based on your post, and we'll see if I can
    notice a difference. I appreciate the input.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, May 15, 2006
  11. Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    >I regularly have 1.5gb in use according to Task Manager. My Peak today is
    >1678108k. But I very seldom go over 2gb. Mainly gaming is what is so
    >demanding. Quake4 pushes 2gb.

    Unless the game is built with LARGEADDRESSAWARE or is a native 64-bit
    application, it can't use more than 2 GB of RAM no matter how much RAM you
    have in your box or which OS you are running. If you are running multiple
    memory-demanding applications at once, then it would help.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, Game Technology Group

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], May 16, 2006
  12. Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    I'm curious - are you aware of any 32-bit games that are compiled with
    LARGEMEMORYADDRESSAWARE? It would seem to me to be something that would not
    generally help games, because of the constraints that it would impose on a
    normal 32-bit OS.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 16, 2006
  13. Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    I doubt most game developers are even aware of LAW...

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, Game Technology Group

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], May 16, 2006
  14. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Re: 2GB to 4GB?

    "Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > >I regularly have 1.5gb in use according to Task Manager. My Peak today
    > >is 1678108k. But I very seldom go over 2gb. Mainly gaming is what is so
    > >demanding. Quake4 pushes 2gb.

    > Unless the game is built with LARGEADDRESSAWARE or is a native 64-bit
    > application, it can't use more than 2 GB of RAM no matter how much RAM you
    > have in your box or which OS you are running. If you are running multiple
    > memory-demanding applications at once, then it would help.
    >
    > --
    > Chuck Walbourn
    > SDE, Game Technology Group

    > rights.

    Many of the new games (FarCry, HL2, FEAR), have 64 bit patches that add
    texture detail, etc. HL2 claims an 84% performance increase IN ADDITION TO
    enriched texture detail in the 64 bit version.

    As far as LARGEADDRESSAWARE, I have no idea even what that is.

    Larry Hodges, May 16, 2006