    Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
    Top secret! Burn before reading!
    The above tagline is number 452 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
    Gary Edstrom, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Gary Edstrom

    Steve Guest

    Very nice.

    Steve, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > Saw this rainbow on the way home from work this in Valencia, California
    > evening. It was really vivid. You can even see the secondary rainbow:
    > http://gbe.dynip.com/misc/Q0017332A.JPG

    Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?

    Gordon
    Gordon MacPherson, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    Note: Courtesy copy of this followup sent to author via email.

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:59:53 +0000, Gordon MacPherson
    <> wrote:

    >Gary Edstrom wrote:
    >> Saw this rainbow on the way home from work this in Valencia, California
    >> evening. It was really vivid. You can even see the secondary rainbow:
    >> http://gbe.dynip.com/misc/Q0017332A.JPG
    >>

    >Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?
    >
    >Gordon

    It has to do with the physics of how rainbows are created and the
    refraction of the light. The inside will always be lighter than the
    outside. You would need to search the web for an exact technical
    explanation of why. Likewise, there is ALWAYS a secondary rainbow, but
    it is often too faint to be seen. There are even tertiary and higher
    order rainbows, but each one gets fainter and fainter, so they are never
    seen.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Edstrom <>
    Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
    Gary Edstrom, Mar 7, 2005
  5. Gary Edstrom

    KewlKiwi Guest

    Gordon MacPherson wrote:

    > Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?

    "42" :)
    KewlKiwi, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Gary Edstrom

    paul Guest

    <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/our-garden/more/2004-02-02-rainbow&PG=1&PIC=2>

    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/ligsky.html#c1
    paul, Mar 8, 2005
  7. Gary Edstrom

    Stewy Guest

    In article <d0hfj5$93p$>,
    Gordon MacPherson <> wrote:

    > Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > > Saw this rainbow on the way home from work this in Valencia, California
    > > evening. It was really vivid. You can even see the secondary rainbow:
    > > http://gbe.dynip.com/misc/Q0017332A.JPG
    > >

    > Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?

    Rainbows occur when sunlight and rain are both available the sky and
    rain around the rainbow is always sunlit - you won't see the rainbow
    otherwise. As the rainbow reflects some light (and so the sky appears
    darker) but below the rainbow nothing is reflected making that part of
    the sky brighter.
    Stewy, Mar 9, 2005