Rail fans

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken Davey, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    Ken Davey, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Ken Davey

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Ken Davey wrote:

    > On topic - all photos 10D.
    > http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    > Comments welcome.
    > There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of Photoshop
    > but it was a work of love.
    > Regards.
    > Ken.

    Hi...

    Nice. No excuses necessary :)

    Question though, if I may? How in the world could
    a train possibly travel on those tracks without
    bucking itself off the tracks? Are the 'squiggly'
    tracks still in use?

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > Ken Davey wrote:
    >
    >> On topic - all photos 10D.
    >> http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >> Comments welcome.
    >> There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of
    >> Photoshop but it was a work of love.
    >> Regards.
    >> Ken.

    > Hi...
    >
    > Nice. No excuses necessary :)
    >
    > Question though, if I may? How in the world could
    > a train possibly travel on those tracks without
    > bucking itself off the tracks? Are the 'squiggly'
    > tracks still in use?
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    They are still in use.
    I travel on those tracks (that train) almost daily.
    It is *slow*. I am talking about almost being able to beat the train to town
    walking fast.
    Regards.
    Ken.

    --
    http://www.rupert.net/~solar
    Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

    Ken Davey, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Ken Davey

    Frank ess Guest

    Ken Davey wrote:
    > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    >> Ken Davey wrote:
    >>
    >>> On topic - all photos 10D.
    >>> http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >>> Comments welcome.
    >>> There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of
    >>> Photoshop but it was a work of love.
    >>> Regards.
    >>> Ken.

    >> Hi...
    >>
    >> Nice. No excuses necessary :)
    >>
    >> Question though, if I may? How in the world could
    >> a train possibly travel on those tracks without
    >> bucking itself off the tracks? Are the 'squiggly'
    >> tracks still in use?
    >>
    >> Take care.
    >>
    >> Ken

    > They are still in use.
    > I travel on those tracks (that train) almost daily.
    > It is *slow*. I am talking about almost being able to beat the train
    > to town walking fast.
    > Regards.
    > Ken.

    I really enjoyed seeing this little slice of life. Sad how transient
    even the 'solid' things can be.
    Thanks for the opportunity.

    I'm not seeing the Ceiba map. Is there one too many jpgs in the image
    source file name?

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Ken Davey wrote:
    >> Ken Weitzel wrote:

    >>> Hi...
    >>>
    >>> Nice. No excuses necessary :)
    >>>
    >>> Question though, if I may? How in the world could
    >>> a train possibly travel on those tracks without
    >>> bucking itself off the tracks? Are the 'squiggly'
    >>> tracks still in use?
    >>>
    >>> Take care.
    >>>
    >>> Ken

    >> They are still in use.
    >> I travel on those tracks (that train) almost daily.
    >> It is *slow*. I am talking about almost being able to beat the train
    >> to town walking fast.
    >> Regards.
    >> Ken.

    > I really enjoyed seeing this little slice of life. Sad how transient
    > even the 'solid' things can be.
    > Thanks for the opportunity.
    >
    > I'm not seeing the Ceiba map. Is there one too many jpgs in the image
    > source file name?

    Could be. I have been having trouble with that page. Will keep working on
    it.

    Ken.

    Ken Davey, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Ken Davey

    BobS Guest

    Ken,

    Interesting and I for one would like to see more. May I ask what you are
    doing in that part of the world?

    Bob S.

    BobS, Nov 15, 2004
  7. Ken Davey

    Jer Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > Ken Davey wrote:
    >
    >> On topic - all photos 10D.
    >> http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >> Comments welcome.
    >> There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of
    >> Photoshop but it was a work of love.
    >> Regards.
    >> Ken.

    > Hi...
    >
    > Nice. No excuses necessary :)
    >
    > Question though, if I may? How in the world could
    > a train possibly travel on those tracks without
    > bucking itself off the tracks? Are the 'squiggly'
    > tracks still in use?
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Lends a whole new meaning to the term 'light rail' doesn't it? :)

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Nov 15, 2004
  8. On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:44:58 -0600, "Ken Davey"
    <> wrote:

    >On topic - all photos 10D.
    >http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >Comments welcome.
    >There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of Photoshop
    >but it was a work of love.
    >Regards.
    >Ken.

    Ken --

    Thank you for posting the pictures. Fascinating.

    IMHO, some of the folks in the USA who think they have it tough ought
    to take a look at them.

    Orrin

    Orrin Iseminger, Nov 16, 2004
  9. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    BobS wrote:
    > Ken,
    >
    > Interesting and I for one would like to see more. May I ask what you
    > are doing in that part of the world?
    >
    > Bob S.
    >
    > "Ken Davey" <> wrote in message
    >> On topic - all photos 10D.
    >> http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >> Comments welcome.

    I am retired and spend my winters here. Beats staying at home - about 120
    miles south of the Alaskan Pan Handle.
    Ken.

    Ken Davey, Nov 16, 2004
  10. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    Jer wrote:
    > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    >

    >> Ken Davey wrote:
    >>
    >>> On topic - all photos 10D.
    >>> http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >>> Comments welcome.
    >>> There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of
    >>> Photoshop but it was a work of love.
    >>> Regards.
    >>> Ken.

    >> Hi...
    >>
    >> Nice. No excuses necessary :)
    >>
    >> Question though, if I may? How in the world could
    >> a train possibly travel on those tracks without
    >> bucking itself off the tracks? Are the 'squiggly'
    >> tracks still in use?
    >>
    >> Take care.
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Lends a whole new meaning to the term 'light rail' doesn't it? :)

    You ought to see how beat up the 're-railer' is that hangs off the engine.
    Ken..

    Ken Davey, Nov 16, 2004
  11. On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:44:58 -0600, "Ken Davey"
    <> wrote:

    >On topic - all photos 10D.
    >http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >Comments welcome.

    Very interesting - thanks. There used to be a similar small railway in
    the Dominican Republic, but a few rails on the pier is about all that's
    left now.

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, Nov 16, 2004
  12. Ken Davey

    Big Bill Guest

    Ken Davey wrote:

    > On topic - all photos 10D.
    >> http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >> Comments welcome.
    >> There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of
    >> Photoshop but it was a work of love.
    >> Regards.
    >> Ken.

    > Hi...
    >
    > Nice. No excuses necessary :)
    >
    > Question though, if I may? How in the world could
    > a train possibly travel on those tracks without
    > bucking itself off the tracks? Are the 'squiggly'
    > tracks still in use?
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    One word: slow speed!
    Even at slow speeds, derailments are still bound to happen, but with
    such light rollng stock (even that loco is lightweight!) putting the
    wheels back on the track is only(!) the work of a couple of hours at
    longest. The slow speed limits just how far off track the wheels can
    go.
    There are metal pieces that are carried, and they are shaped such
    that, when staked in the ground to keep them from moving, the loco can
    pull the wheels back onto the tracks. If the loco itself goes off
    track, it's a lot more work, but in such areas as in the story,
    manpower can usually be found to help, if not already on the train.
    This is possible because the train is seen as a part of the community,
    and the community is willing to make it work.

    In fact, let me look (shuffle, shuffle), yes, I have a photo of a
    rerailer (taken at the Colorado RR Museum):
    http://www.pippina.us/images/rerailer1.jpg

    There! Back on topic! :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 16, 2004
  13. Ken Davey

    Ron G Guest

    Nice photos. Though it needs to be said that with the use of a telephoto
    almost any railroad tracks can be made to be very crooked indeed. I can
    scan the heck out of anyone using a 250mm telephoto anywhere on the NE
    Corridor. Not to suggest that this was done here, but it is always a
    matter of perspective.

    Ron G, Nov 17, 2004
  14. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    Ron G wrote:
    > Nice photos. Though it needs to be said that with the use of a
    > telephoto almost any railroad tracks can be made to be very crooked
    > indeed. I can scan the heck out of anyone using a 250mm telephoto
    > anywhere on the NE Corridor. Not to suggest that this was done here,
    > but it is always a matter of perspective.
    >
    > Ken Davey wrote:
    >> On topic - all photos 10D.
    >> http://www.rupert.net/~solar/
    >> Comments welcome.
    >> There are glaring mistakes due to my primitive understanding of
    >> Photoshop but it was a work of love.
    >> Regards.
    >> Ken.

    Tamron 28-75.
    Mostly used about mid range.
    For this line you could stand on a rail and shoot straight down wide angle
    and still see the wobble.(g)
    Ken.

    Ken Davey, Nov 17, 2004