    My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if perhaps
    it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone else noticed
    such? Thanks to all who care to reply.

    Jeff Pearson, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Jeff Pearson

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Jeff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns941FEF24296C6jeffreyjpearsonhotma@151.164.30.93...
    <<While watching the "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" DVD tonight, I noticed
    two instances when the image appeared to "jump" a bit, as if perhaps a
    frame was missing. These occur at 15.21, after Jones and Brody have
    entered the hallway outside the classroom, and at 17.12 during the
    meeting with the fat and thin army intelligence men.>>

    <<My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if
    perhaps it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone else
    noticed such? Thanks to all who care to reply.>>

    My Sony 550 does the same thing.

    The skipped frame from the hallway scene at 15.21 is nearly
    imperceptible, however, I can plainly see the skipped frame in the
    classroom scene at 17.12. (Actually, it looks as though a missing frame
    has been replaced by a repeated frame in both instances. This procedure
    is done all the time in some other movies.)

    There are probably other instances of skipped frames that you haven't
    seen yet.

    Scot Gardner, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Jeff Pearson

    revoltnow Guest

    Jeff Pearson <> wrote in message news:<Xns941FEF24296C6jeffreyjpearsonhotma@151.164.30.93>...
    > While watching the "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" DVD tonight, I noticed two
    > instances when the image appeared to "jump" a bit, as if perhaps a frame
    > was missing. These occur at 15.21, after Jones and Brody have entered the
    > hallway outside the classroom, and at 17.12 during the meeting with the fat
    > and thin army intelligence men.
    >
    > My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if perhaps
    > it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone else noticed
    > such? Thanks to all who care to reply.

    Just played back the scenes a few times and didn't notice any jumping
    or skipping. Are you able to play the disc on another player?
    Depending on the result you may conclude that the problem is with the
    first player or if not your disc. Good luck!

    revoltnow, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Jeff Pearson wrote:

    > While watching the "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" DVD tonight, I noticed two
    > instances when the image appeared to "jump" a bit, as if perhaps a frame
    > was missing. These occur at 15.21, after Jones and Brody have entered the
    > hallway outside the classroom, and at 17.12 during the meeting with the fat
    > and thin army intelligence men.
    >
    > My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if perhaps
    > it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone else noticed
    > such? Thanks to all who care to reply.

    My player completely stopped at the army intelligence scene, didn't
    notice anything like that during the hallway scene. I fast-forwarded
    myself out of the jam, then rewound, it played smoothly after that.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Jeff Pearson

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "revoltnow" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Pearson <> wrote in message

    Jeff Pearson <> wrote in message
    <<<While watching the "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" DVD tonight, I noticed
    two instances when the image appeared to "jump" a bit, as if perhaps a
    frame was missing. These occur at 15.21, after Jones and Brody have
    entered the hallway outside the classroom, and at 17.12 during the
    meeting with the fat and thin army intelligence men.>>>

    <<<My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if
    perhaps it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone else
    noticed such? Thanks to all who care to reply.>>>

    <<Just played back the scenes a few times and didn't notice any jumping
    or skipping. Are you able to play the disc on another player? Depending
    on the result you may conclude that the problem is with the first player
    or if not your disc. Good luck!>>

    The hallway scene at 15.21 is hard to see, however, the classroom scene
    at 17.12 is easier to see. (Keep in mind that this is very difficult to
    notice if you aren't looking for it.)

    In this scene, you will see a man on the left of the screen facing
    Indiana Jones as Indiana's image moves slowly to the left of the screen.
    Just as Indiana's image starts to move behind the larger image of the
    man on the left of the screen, the frame jumps slightly and Indiana's
    image moves quickly to the left as one frame is skipped and another
    frame is repeated.

    I don't think this is the fault of the player.

    Scot Gardner, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Jeff Pearson

    Jeff Pearson Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in news:20031027015237.956
    $:

    > "Jeff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > <<While watching the "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" DVD tonight, I noticed
    > two instances when the image appeared to "jump" a bit, as if perhaps a
    > frame was missing. These occur at 15.21, after Jones and Brody have
    > entered the hallway outside the classroom, and at 17.12 during the
    > meeting with the fat and thin army intelligence men.>>
    >
    > <<My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if
    > perhaps it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone else
    > noticed such? Thanks to all who care to reply.>>
    >

    > My Sony 550 does the same thing.
    >
    > The skipped frame from the hallway scene at 15.21 is nearly
    > imperceptible, however, I can plainly see the skipped frame in the
    > classroom scene at 17.12. (Actually, it looks as though a missing frame
    > has been replaced by a repeated frame in both instances. This procedure
    > is done all the time in some other movies.)
    >

    > There are probably other instances of skipped frames that you haven't
    > seen yet.

    Thanks! Apart from those two odd moments the new DVD transfer is simply
    wonderful and easily the best home video copy this old LD fanatic has
    ever seen. Have to admit it's rather good someone else noticed the
    glitches, though.

    Jeff Pearson, Oct 28, 2003
  7. On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:20:16 GMT, Jeff Pearson <> wrote:

    >"Scot Gardner" <> wrote in news:20031027015237.956
    >$:
    >
    >> "Jeff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >> <<While watching the "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" DVD tonight, I noticed
    >> two instances when the image appeared to "jump" a bit, as if perhaps a
    >> frame was missing. These occur at 15.21, after Jones and Brody have
    >> entered the hallway outside the classroom, and at 17.12 during the
    >> meeting with the fat and thin army intelligence men.>>
    >>
    >> <<My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if
    >> perhaps it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone else
    >> noticed such? Thanks to all who care to reply.>>
    >>

    >> My Sony 550 does the same thing.
    >>
    >> The skipped frame from the hallway scene at 15.21 is nearly
    >> imperceptible, however, I can plainly see the skipped frame in the
    >> classroom scene at 17.12. (Actually, it looks as though a missing frame
    >> has been replaced by a repeated frame in both instances. This procedure
    >> is done all the time in some other movies.)
    >>

    >> There are probably other instances of skipped frames that you haven't
    >> seen yet.
    >>

    >Thanks! Apart from those two odd moments the new DVD transfer is simply
    >wonderful and easily the best home video copy this old LD fanatic has
    >ever seen. Have to admit it's rather good someone else noticed the
    >glitches, though.

    If you wanna see Raiders NOT jumping, check out the Oakland Raiders!! LOL!!

    SpeedByrd PhD

    Dr. Speedbyrd :>, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Jeff Pearson

    Scot Gardner Guest

    From: "Jeff Pearson" <>
    Subject: Re: Raiders Jumps
    Date: Monday, October 27, 2003 8:20 PM

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in news:20031027015237.956
    $:

    > "Jeff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > <<While watching the "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" DVD tonight, I noticed
    > two instances when the image appeared to "jump" a bit, as if perhaps a
    > frame was missing. These occur at 15.21, after Jones and Brody have
    > entered the hallway outside the classroom, and at 17.12 during the
    > meeting with the fat and thin army intelligence men.>>
    >
    > <<My player (a Pioneer DV-563A) is still very new so I'm wondering if
    > perhaps it's simply failing to read the disc properly. Has anyone
    > else noticed such? Thanks to all who care to reply.>>
    >

    > My Sony 550 does the same thing.
    >
    > The skipped frame from the hallway scene at 15.21 is nearly
    > imperceptible, however, I can plainly see the skipped frame in the
    > classroom scene at 17.12. (Actually, it looks as though a missing
    > frame has been replaced by a repeated frame in both instances.
    > This procedure is done all the time in some other movies.)
    >

    > There are probably other instances of skipped frames that you haven't
    > seen yet.

    <<Thanks! Apart from those two odd moments the new DVD transfer is
    simply wonderful and easily the best home video copy this old LD fanatic
    has ever seen. Have to admit it's rather good someone else noticed the
    glitches, though.>>

    I agree that this is the best that _Raiders of the Lost Ark_ has ever
    looked on home video. Unfortunately, Raiders -- the best movie in the
    Indiana Jones trilogy -- has the worst picture. The bit rate of all
    three movies is very high, but the picture detail and color of Raiders
    is not as good as the other two movies.

    If you own _Robin Hood_ (1938), you might run across this glitch, which
    has been verified by at least 2 other people:

    The glitch occurs during playback of "Glorious Technicolor", which is on
    disk 2.

    On my copy, at 16 seconds into the presentation, when Esther Williams
    says the word "Technicolor", there is a slight, one frame picture
    disruption with minor pixelation and an audible "scratch" noise. So far,
    this is the only flaw that I have found on the disk.

    There are absolutely no visible surface blemishes.

    Scot Gardner, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Jeff Pearson

    Doonie Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:13:08 -0800, Scot Gardner wrote:

    >In this scene, you will see a man on the left of the screen facing
    >Indiana Jones as Indiana's image moves slowly to the left of the screen.
    >Just as Indiana's image starts to move behind the larger image of the
    >man on the left of the screen, the frame jumps slightly and Indiana's
    >image moves quickly to the left as one frame is skipped and another
    >frame is repeated.
    >
    >I don't think this is the fault of the player.

    It does this on my Onkyo DV-S555, too. I picked that jump out the
    first time we watched it. Easy to pick out because your eyes are on
    Indy as he moves from right to left.
    Anyone else notice the floating, oval smears in the upper part of
    the picture that appear a couple times throughout the movie? I wonder
    what they are. I could start looking for them, but it would take me
    forever to find them.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Oct 28, 2003
  10. Jeff Pearson

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Doonie" <> wrote in message

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:13:08 -0800, Scot Gardner wrote:

    >In this scene, you will see a man on the left of the screen facing
    >Indiana Jones as Indiana's image moves slowly to the left of the
    >screen.
    >Just as Indiana's image starts to move behind the larger image of the
    >man on the left of the screen, the frame jumps slightly and Indiana's
    >image moves quickly to the left as one frame is skipped and another
    >frame is repeated.
    >
    >I don't think this is the fault of the player.

    <<It does this on my Onkyo DV-S555, too. I picked that jump out the
    first time we watched it. Easy to pick out because your eyes are on
    Indy as he moves from right to left.>>
    <<Anyone else notice the floating, oval smears in the upper part of
    the picture that appear a couple times throughout the movie? I wonder
    what they are. I could start looking for them, but it would take me
    forever to find them.>>

    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Could those be the so-called cigarette burns which were used to alert
    projectionists to the reel change?

    First of all, what are cigarette burns?

    From the film Fight Club:
    JACK: See a movie doesn't come all on one big reel. It comes on a few,
    so someone has to be there to switch the projector at the exact moment
    that one reel ends and the next one begins. If you look for it, you can
    see these little dots come onto the upper right hand corner of the
    screen.

    TYLER: In the industry, we call them cigarette burns.

    JACK: That's the cue for a changeover, he flips the projectors, movie
    keeps on going, and nobody in the audience has any idea.

    http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/2002-1/issue1/ar-burns.html

    Scot Gardner, Oct 28, 2003
  11. Jeff Pearson

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Scot Gardner <> wrote:

    >but the picture detail and color of Raiders
    > is not as good as the other two movies.

    That's still a moot point...it's the best image of Raiders I've ever
    seen!

    Peter Briggs, Oct 28, 2003
  12. Jeff Pearson

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:28:12 -0800, Scot Gardner wrote:

    > Anyone else notice the floating, oval smears in the upper part of
    >the picture that appear a couple times throughout the movie? I wonder
    >what they are. I could start looking for them, but it would take me
    >forever to find them.
    >
    >Could those be the so-called cigarette burns which were used to alert
    >projectionists to the reel change?

    No, they were in the top middle of the screen, not in the top right
    where the markers usually are. Plus, they looked nothing like all the
    cigarette burns I've ever seen. I'll have to watch the show again to
    see where they are.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Oct 28, 2003