    and just the "boot" files and the swap file are now on C:

    it works fine that way,...but was just curious why it would not boot from an
    NTFS partition...

    philo, Nov 1, 2006

  2. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:39:02 -0600, philo Has Frothed:

    > I picked up a nice HP Netserver LC3
    >
    > The machine was setup with NT4 server and I did not like the way the RAID
    > was configured....so I ended up re-configuring the RAID &creating one ,
    > 27gig logical signature of RAID5...
    > formatting the array as NTFS and installing win2k...
    >
    > however at the first boot , the machine just hung.
    >
    > after trying a few times...I recalled that the machine originally had a 2
    > gig , FAT boot partition
    > which I ended up recreating...
    > then I installed win2k on the D: drive which is NTFS and just the "boot"
    > files and the swap file are now on C:
    >
    > it works fine that way,...but was just curious why it would not boot from
    > an NTFS partition...

    IIRC I've seen this before and asked myself the same question.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 1, 2006

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:39:02 -0600, philo Has Frothed:
    >
    > > I picked up a nice HP Netserver LC3
    > >
    > > The machine was setup with NT4 server and I did not like the way the

    RAID
    > > was configured....so I ended up re-configuring the RAID &creating one ,
    > > 27gig logical signature of RAID5...
    > > formatting the array as NTFS and installing win2k...
    > >
    > > however at the first boot , the machine just hung.
    > >
    > > after trying a few times...I recalled that the machine originally had a

    2
    > > gig , FAT boot partition
    > > which I ended up recreating...
    > > then I installed win2k on the D: drive which is NTFS and just the "boot"
    > > files and the swap file are now on C:
    > >
    > > it works fine that way,...but was just curious why it would not boot

    from
    > > an NTFS partition...

    > IIRC I've seen this before and asked myself the same question.

    I basically just work on old, surplus junk machines...
    and found that servers typically have a smaller FAT partition that they boot
    from...

    however I do have a few non-RAID servers in my workshop that can boot from
    NTFS or ext3
    without a problem

    This is actually my first experience setting up RAID and RAID5 really works
    quite nicely.

    The machine is a single P-II-450 with 576 megs of RAM and really performs
    well

    philo, Nov 1, 2006
  4. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:24:07 -0600, philo Has Frothed:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:39:02 -0600, philo Has Frothed:
    >>
    >> > I picked up a nice HP Netserver LC3
    >> >
    >> > The machine was setup with NT4 server and I did not like the way the

    > RAID
    >> > was configured....so I ended up re-configuring the RAID &creating one
    >> > , 27gig logical signature of RAID5...
    >> > formatting the array as NTFS and installing win2k...
    >> >
    >> > however at the first boot , the machine just hung.
    >> >
    >> > after trying a few times...I recalled that the machine originally had

    > 2
    >> > gig , FAT boot partition
    >> > which I ended up recreating...
    >> > then I installed win2k on the D: drive which is NTFS and just the
    >> > "boot" files and the swap file are now on C:
    >> >
    >> > it works fine that way,...but was just curious why it would not boot

    > from
    >> > an NTFS partition...

    >> IIRC I've seen this before and asked myself the same question.

    > I basically just work on old, surplus junk machines... and found that
    > servers typically have a smaller FAT partition that they boot from...
    >
    > however I do have a few non-RAID servers in my workshop that can boot from
    > NTFS or ext3
    > without a problem
    >
    > This is actually my first experience setting up RAID and RAID5 really
    > works quite nicely.
    >
    > The machine is a single P-II-450 with 576 megs of RAM and really performs
    > well

    I've set up several Dell Poweredge 2300's with raid 5 and NT4 and
    Novell ops on them. Only problem I had with them was the PERC2 controller
    that had a battery issue and shitty Fujitsu SCSI drives.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 2, 2006
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    > I've set up several Dell Poweredge 2300's with raid 5 and NT4 and
    > Novell ops on them. Only problem I had with them was the PERC2 controller
    > that had a battery issue and shitty Fujitsu SCSI drives.

    Well the machine is running fine...
    I have one more to fool with...

    Don't know what I will do with them

    philo, Nov 2, 2006
  6. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:24:59 -0600, philo Has Frothed:

    >> I've set up several Dell Poweredge 2300's with raid 5 and NT4 and Novell
    >> ops on them. Only problem I had with them was the PERC2 controller that
    >> had a battery issue and shitty Fujitsu SCSI drives.
    >>

    > Well the machine is running fine...
    > I have one more to fool with...
    >
    > Don't know what I will do with them

    Sell one to St00pid for a kiddie p0rn swerver.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 2, 2006
  7. Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:24:59 -0600, philo Has Frothed:
    >

    >>> I've set up several Dell Poweredge 2300's with raid 5 and NT4
    >>> and Novell ops on them. Only problem I had with them was the
    >>> PERC2 controller that had a battery issue and shitty Fujitsu
    >>> SCSI drives.
    >>>

    >> Well the machine is running fine...
    >> I have one more to fool with...
    >>
    >> Don't know what I will do with them

    > Sell one to St00pid for a kiddie p0rn swerver.

    He wouldn't be able to figger it out...

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 3, 2006