    striping without parity vs no raid at all in terms of cpu usage?

    fyi, I think I will use 2 or 3 of the WD SATA 10k RPM drives (I think they
    are called raptors)
    Jason Wheeler, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Jason Wheeler

    Mark Guest

    Its going to be a little tough to find a MB for raid 5...you need to look
    toward purchasing a server board and controller.

    --
    Mark
    MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
    "Jason Wheeler" <bigwheels16$P@> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of buying a new computer, and I want it fast (duh) and I

    know
    > that the best way to make it fast is to speed up the slowest device, the
    > hard drive. Which is why I want to put a raid setup in it that stripes

    the
    > disks. Now, I realize that striping makes it much faster, at the expense

    of
    > being twice as likely to fail. So I was thinking of doing raid 5,

    striping
    > with parity, but I have no experience with this. Have any of you set up

    or

    Mark, Aug 21, 2004

  3. "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Its going to be a little tough to find a MB for raid 5...you need to look
    > toward purchasing a server board and controller.
    >
    > --
    > Mark
    > MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
    > "Jason Wheeler" <bigwheels16$P@> wrote in message
    > > I am thinking of buying a new computer, and I want it fast (duh) and I

    > know
    > > that the best way to make it fast is to speed up the slowest device, the
    > > hard drive. Which is why I want to put a raid setup in it that stripes

    > the
    > > disks. Now, I realize that striping makes it much faster, at the

    expense
    > of
    > > being twice as likely to fail. So I was thinking of doing raid 5,

    > striping
    > > with parity, but I have no experience with this. Have any of you set up

    > or
    > > used a raid 5 set up before? And do you know the overhead of raid 5 vs
    > > striping without parity vs no raid at all in terms of cpu usage?
    > >
    > > fyi, I think I will use 2 or 3 of the WD SATA 10k RPM drives (I think

    they
    > > are called raptors)

    You also need to read up on RAID... speed , failure fault tolerance .....

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «bonehead;\), Aug 22, 2004
  4. Jason Wheeler

    JJW Guest

    > You also need to read up on RAID... speed , failure fault tolerance .....
    >
    > --
    > <B0N3H3@D>
    > "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert

    Einstein

    I was hoping I could just skip the many weeks of reading about raid and have
    someone just impart their knowledge to me, hence the question in the first
    place :-D

    you're right, I will read up on it, but I would like to hear some first hand
    experience, some real-life application and usage.

    in respnse to previous post, I was planning on purchasing a raid controller
    add in card, not using an onboard controller, but honestly, I have not
    checked the price of those yet.
    JJW, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Jason Wheeler

    AG Guest

    > I am thinking of buying a new computer, and I want it fast (duh) and I

    know
    > that the best way to make it fast is to speed up the slowest device, the
    > hard drive. Which is why I want to put a raid setup in it that stripes

    the
    > disks. Now, I realize that striping makes it much faster, at the expense

    of
    > being twice as likely to fail. So I was thinking of doing raid 5,

    striping
    > with parity, but I have no experience with this. Have any of you set up

    or
    > used a raid 5 set up before? And do you know the overhead of raid 5 vs
    > striping without parity vs no raid at all in terms of cpu usage?
    >
    > fyi, I think I will use 2 or 3 of the WD SATA 10k RPM drives (I think they
    > are called raptors)

    For RAID 5 you will need at least 3 drives and 4 is better. I wouldn't
    really recommend them or home use. It does slow down disk writes. If you
    go with SATA drives you would get good read speed anyway.
    I have a RAID 5 array on a mail server and I've had problems with it from
    day 1. Drives that check out fine with the diagnostic software have "gone
    down" according to the RAID control software and just won't work with it. I
    keep two spare drives in stock at all times.
    We're probably going to build a new server and it will not have a RAID array
    in it.

    AG
    AG, Aug 24, 2004
  6. Jason Wheeler

    Bill Guest

    Jason Wheeler wrote:

    > I am thinking of buying a new computer, and I want it fast (duh) and I know
    > that the best way to make it fast is to speed up the slowest device, the
    > hard drive. Which is why I want to put a raid setup in it that stripes the
    > disks. Now, I realize that striping makes it much faster, at the expense of
    > being twice as likely to fail. So I was thinking of doing raid 5, striping
    > with parity, but I have no experience with this. Have any of you set up or
    > used a raid 5 set up before? And do you know the overhead of raid 5 vs
    > striping without parity vs no raid at all in terms of cpu usage?
    >
    > fyi, I think I will use 2 or 3 of the WD SATA 10k RPM drives (I think they
    > are called raptors)

    Hi Jason,

    If you want performance, go Raid 0. If you want performance and fault
    tolerance, go with Raid 0/1 (aka Raid 0+1 or Raid 10). Raid 0/1 requires
    four drives. There are two RAID 0 stripe sets, which are used to provide
    high input/output performance, that are mirrored as in Raid 1.

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 25, 2004
  7. Jason Wheeler

    JJW Guest

    oh ok, well thanks for the input, I was under the impression that raid 5
    would give u both speed and fault tolerance.

    JJW, Aug 25, 2004
  8. Jason Wheeler

    JJW Guest

    > Hi Jason,
    >
    > If you want performance, go Raid 0. If you want performance and fault
    > tolerance, go with Raid 0/1 (aka Raid 0+1 or Raid 10). Raid 0/1 requires
    > four drives. There are two RAID 0 stripe sets, which are used to provide
    > high input/output performance, that are mirrored as in Raid 1.
    >
    > Bill

    alright, thanks, that is good info...I was under the impression that raid 5
    would give u good performance but I guess not. I guess what I will probably
    do then is raid 0 and then back up the data manually to another non raided
    drive. I can afford downtime, since it would just be my home pc. do u how
    much an onboard controller would affect performance (of the computer, mostly
    the cpu) v.s a card?
    JJW, Aug 25, 2004
  9. "JJW" <bigwheels16$P@> wrote in message
    > > You also need to read up on RAID... speed , failure fault

    tolerance .....

    > > --
    > > <B0N3H3@D>
    > > "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert

    > Einstein
    > >

    > I was hoping I could just skip the many weeks of reading about raid

    and have
    > someone just impart their knowledge to me, hence the question in the

    first
    > place :-D
    >
    > you're right, I will read up on it, but I would like to hear some

    first hand
    > experience, some real-life application and usage.
    >
    > in respnse to previous post, I was planning on purchasing a raid

    controller
    > add in card, not using an onboard controller, but honestly, I have

    not
    > checked the price of those yet.

    funny, you should not have to purchase a raid controller card, since
    the powermac g5 has embedded raid controllers (you did say you wanted
    a fast system, right?).

    by the way, kudos on the choice to go western digital.
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 30, 2004
  10. Jason Wheeler

    JJW Guest

    > funny, you should not have to purchase a raid controller card, since
    > the powermac g5 has embedded raid controllers (you did say you wanted
    > a fast system, right?).

    right, but I guess I failed to mention that I would also like to run my
    programs on it, and everyone else's, too
    but I agree, it's an extremely fast machine

    > by the way, kudos on the choice to go western digital.

    the reason I went with them is because they are the only ones I know of that
    have 10k RPM SATA drives....I dunno, maybe other companies have them now
    JJW, Aug 31, 2004
  11. "JJW" <bigwheels16$P@> wrote in message
    > > funny, you should not have to purchase a raid controller card,

    since
    > > the powermac g5 has embedded raid controllers (you did say you

    wanted
    > > a fast system, right?).

    > right, but I guess I failed to mention that I would also like to run

    my
    > programs on it, and everyone else's, too
    > but I agree, it's an extremely fast machine

    if you're comparing the availability of mac software vs. pc software,
    remember, that's like comparing 10 pieces of gold with 100 piece of
    silver, respectively, but then, pc software is a mere subset of mac
    software thanks to virtualPC.

    > > by the way, kudos on the choice to go western digital.

    > the reason I went with them is because they are the only ones I know

    of that
    > have 10k RPM SATA drives....I dunno, maybe other companies have them

    now

    others do (seacrate cheetahs come to mind) but western digital is
    renowned for being the most reliable
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 31, 2004