    drives were on seperate channels?

    thanks

    jjw
    jjw, Dec 24, 2004

  2. jjw

    AG Guest

    "jjw" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo. It has a pata raid controller that will do
    >Raid Striping. I have two identical WD 80GB hard drives that I would like
    >to stripe. The motherboard only has one pata raid controller/connection,
    >so if I set up the hard drives to do raid, they would be on the same
    >"channel", one as master and one as slave. I am not real experienced with
    >raid, but I thought that with raid striping u generally had each drive on
    >seperate channels. The question is: will I still see a performance
    >increase if I stripe the drives and connect them on the same channel, and
    >how much more performance would I see if the drives were on seperate
    >channels?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > jjw

    The performance increases are small and the problem is that if you use RAID
    0 you actually increase the potential of loosing all of the data on the
    array. We often use RAID 1 and 5 on our servers.
    There's a FAQ here:
    http://www.recoverdata.com/raidfaq.htm and there are lots more sites that
    explain it better than I can in a short post.

    AG
    AG, Dec 28, 2004

  3. jjw

    jjw Guest

    AG wrote:
    > The performance increases are small

    are the perfomance increases small because they are on the same
    controller, or because raid 0 does not generally give u a lot of extra
    performance? I was under the impression that raid 0 gave u near double
    performance, at least when on seperate controllers.

    > and the problem is that if you use RAID 0 you actually increase the

    potential of loosing all of the data on the array.

    I am aware of the increase in risk, but am not concerned about it.

    I was a little impatient so I set it up already, and actually, I have
    already un-set it up as well. I researched it a little, and it looks
    like the Promise Fasttrak 387 chip it has on there does software raid,
    and not true raid. I'd have to get some sata drives to do hardware
    raid. Because of that, it doesn't work well with linux....but thanks
    for ur reply, I had this question even before I got this new
    motherboard cuz I have seen others that had a similar setup.

    jjw
    jjw, Dec 30, 2004
  4. jjw

    AG Guest

    "jjw" <> wrote in message

    > AG wrote:
    >> The performance increases are small

    > are the perfomance increases small because they are on the same
    > controller, or because raid 0 does not generally give u a lot of extra
    > performance? I was under the impression that raid 0 gave u near double
    > performance, at least when on seperate controllers.
    >
    >> and the problem is that if you use RAID 0 you actually increase the

    > potential of loosing all of the data on the array.
    >
    > I am aware of the increase in risk, but am not concerned about it.
    >
    > I was a little impatient so I set it up already, and actually, I have
    > already un-set it up as well. I researched it a little, and it looks
    > like the Promise Fasttrak 387 chip it has on there does software raid,
    > and not true raid. I'd have to get some sata drives to do hardware
    > raid. Because of that, it doesn't work well with linux....but thanks
    > for ur reply, I had this question even before I got this new
    > motherboard cuz I have seen others that had a similar setup.
    >
    > jjw

    I've had LOTS of trouble with Linux and RAID. I have used software RAID but
    always had problems getting the boot sector set up so that either drive will
    boot. With the right controller you can get a true hardware RAID without
    any problem but they are usually pretty expensive, a minimum of $200 or so
    for a good one.

    AG
    AG, Dec 30, 2004