Raid SATA Drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Skippy, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Skippy

    Skippy Guest

    Hey Guys and Gals,

    I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    I have setup the RAID using the VIA RAID BIOS. However the Windows XP cd is
    not picking up the Via VT8237 Controller therefore windows install is not
    picking up the controller.

    I have pressed F6 to get into the additional controller setup however the
    drivers that I have found on the internet are 7MB and obviously wont fit on
    a floppy disk. Windows install will not let me choose any other device to
    select the drivers (Eg CD Rom, DVD Rom, USB Stick)

    Any information or ideas would be great

    Cheers

    Skippy
    Skippy, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Skippy

    Martin Guest

    > I have pressed F6 to get into the additional controller setup however the
    > drivers that I have found on the internet are 7MB and obviously wont fit
    > on
    > a floppy disk. Windows install will not let me choose any other device to
    > select the drivers (Eg CD Rom, DVD Rom, USB Stick)

    Extract the 7mb drivers out if they are in a zip file or self extracting
    archive then copy the files to multiple floppy disks - ie. 1.4 mb of files
    to each disk then insert each one when prompted for a floppy disk - 1 should
    work then it will fail to find the next file it needs and give you the
    option to retry, put the next floppy disk in and click retry, rinse repeat
    until the drivers are loaded...
    Martin, Sep 11, 2006

  3. In message <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, Skippy wrote:

    > I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey, that
    rhymes...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 11, 2006
  4. On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, Skippy wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    > You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey, that
    > rhymes...

    Use RAID zero and you won't be a hero
    Use RAID five and stay alive
    wogers nemesis, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Skippy

    Martin Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, Skippy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    >> You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey,
    >> that
    >> rhymes...

    > Use RAID zero and you won't be a hero
    > Use RAID five and stay alive

    Better yet, dont forget, RAID1 mirror, you won't lose a sliver..(ok, so the
    rhyming is marginal but - its the only way to go for 2 disks...(-;
    Martin, Sep 11, 2006
  6. Skippy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, says...
    > Hey Guys and Gals,
    >

    > I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.
    >

    > I have setup the RAID using the VIA RAID BIOS. However the Windows XP cd is
    > not picking up the Via VT8237 Controller therefore windows install is not
    > picking up the controller.
    >

    > I have pressed F6 to get into the additional controller setup however the
    > drivers that I have found on the internet are 7MB and obviously wont fit on
    > a floppy disk. Windows install will not let me choose any other device to
    > select the drivers (Eg CD Rom, DVD Rom, USB Stick)

    Yer installing the wrong driver. There will be a much smaller driver
    (should be on the Via CD, or mobo CD), that is for the F6 install part
    of windows.

    Once you get that sorted, ye'll be sweet (I setup such an array last
    week for a Gigabyte something mobo - and it went just fine).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 11, 2006
  7. Skippy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1v1yluav0xj3z.r5q898qejnaa$>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > In message <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, Skippy wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    > > You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey, that
    > > rhymes...

    > Use RAID zero and you won't be a hero
    > Use RAID five and stay alive

    I don't think he wants raid redundancy.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 11, 2006
  8. Skippy

    Justin Guest

    Skippy wrote:
    > Hey Guys and Gals,
    >

    > I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.
    >

    > I have setup the RAID using the VIA RAID BIOS. However the Windows XP cd is
    > not picking up the Via VT8237 Controller therefore windows install is not
    > picking up the controller.
    >

    > I have pressed F6 to get into the additional controller setup however the
    > drivers that I have found on the internet are 7MB and obviously wont fit on
    > a floppy disk. Windows install will not let me choose any other device to
    > select the drivers (Eg CD Rom, DVD Rom, USB Stick)
    >

    > Any information or ideas would be great
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Skippy

    You could of course slipstream the drivers. Just google xp slipstream.

    I had to do this for a floppyless HP ML110 Server with SATA Raid.
    Justin, Sep 11, 2006
  9. Skippy

    Phil Guest

    Dave Doe wrote, On 11/09/06 11.06 p:
    > I don't think he wants raid redundancy.

    True, but RAID-0 is probably one of the worst things to do if you want
    to keep your data after a drive failure.

    -Phil
    Phil, Sep 11, 2006
  10. Skippy

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, Skippy wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    > You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey, that
    > rhymes...

    Hopefully he means 0+1. Not that the mobo will support it anyway... it's
    all software raid, so not as good as you think either.
    Steve, Sep 11, 2006
  11. Skippy

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:46:33 +1200, Martin wrote:

    >> I have pressed F6 to get into the additional controller setup however the
    >> drivers that I have found on the internet are 7MB and obviously wont fit
    >> on
    >> a floppy disk. Windows install will not let me choose any other device to
    >> select the drivers (Eg CD Rom, DVD Rom, USB Stick)
    >>

    > Extract the 7mb drivers out if they are in a zip file or self extracting
    > archive then copy the files to multiple floppy disks - ie. 1.4 mb of files
    > to each disk then insert each one when prompted for a floppy disk - 1 should
    > work then it will fail to find the next file it needs and give you the
    > option to retry, put the next floppy disk in and click retry, rinse repeat
    > until the drivers are loaded...

    Have you tried booting off the driver cd? Last one I built (asus) used
    this method to create a driver floppy.

    ow finding a floppy that still worked was another thing...
    Steve, Sep 11, 2006
  12. Skippy

    thingy Guest

    Skippy wrote:
    > Hey Guys and Gals,
    >

    > I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.
    >

    > I have setup the RAID using the VIA RAID BIOS. However the Windows XP cd is
    > not picking up the Via VT8237 Controller therefore windows install is not
    > picking up the controller.
    >

    > I have pressed F6 to get into the additional controller setup however the
    > drivers that I have found on the internet are 7MB and obviously wont fit on
    > a floppy disk. Windows install will not let me choose any other device to
    > select the drivers (Eg CD Rom, DVD Rom, USB Stick)
    >

    > Any information or ideas would be great
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Skippy

    burn a cdr?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Sep 11, 2006
  13. Skippy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote, On 11/09/06 11.06 p:
    > > I don't think he wants raid redundancy.

    > True, but RAID-0 is probably one of the worst things to do if you want
    > to keep your data after a drive failure.

    Not if you have the drive array imaged, no.

    If he wants a RAID0 array - it's for a reason - speed, *not* redundancy
    (so forget talking about redundancy, please).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 12, 2006
  14. Skippy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d says...
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > In message <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, Skippy wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    > > You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey, that
    > > rhymes...

    > Hopefully he means 0+1. Not that the mobo will support it anyway... it's
    > all software raid, so not as good as you think either.

    The mobo I setup runs at about twice HDD speed - as one would expect, vs
    the other drive (used for imaging the RAID0 array).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 12, 2006
  15. Skippy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d says...
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > In message <1157963750.881235@ftpsrv1>, Skippy wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have 2 Serial ATA HDD's that need to be setup as Stripped RAID.

    > > You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey, that
    > > rhymes...

    > Hopefully he means 0+1. Not that the mobo will support it anyway... it's
    > all software raid, so not as good as you think either.

    And no, it's not a s/w array - it the mobo I setup has two RAID chips -
    the Gigabyte and the Intel - so it's hardware. (I guess you could get
    pedantic and define the software that runs in the hardware as firmware,
    and therefore software - but then you can do that with any hardware RAID
    controller too).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 12, 2006
  16. Skippy

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:46:53 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > d says...

    >> > You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey, that
    >> > rhymes...

    >> Hopefully he means 0+1. Not that the mobo will support it anyway... it's
    >> all software raid, so not as good as you think either.

    > And no, it's not a s/w array - it the mobo I setup has two RAID chips -
    > the Gigabyte and the Intel - so it's hardware. (I guess you could get
    > pedantic and define the software that runs in the hardware as firmware,
    > and therefore software - but then you can do that with any hardware RAID
    > controller too).

    Which mobo is that then?
    Steve, Sep 12, 2006
  17. Skippy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    thingy <> wrote in news:m5ugt3-458.ln1
    @news.vuw.ac.nz:

    > burn a cdr?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    you cant f6 to a cdr source. The floppy is not dead yet.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 12, 2006
  18. On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:21:51 +1200, Martin wrote:

    > "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    >>> You mean RAID-0? Don't do RAID-0! Get a third drive and do RAID-5. Hey,
    >>> that
    >>> rhymes...

    >> Use RAID zero and you won't be a hero
    >> Use RAID five and stay alive

    > Better yet, dont forget, RAID1 mirror, you won't lose a sliver..(ok, so the
    > rhyming is marginal but - its the only way to go for 2 disks...(-;

    Use RAID one and get it done?
    wogers nemesis, Sep 12, 2006
  19. In message <>, Steve wrote:

    > ... it's all software raid, so not as good as you think either.

    Linux software RAID is supposed to be quite good. I know of a company that
    offers virtual hosting, that uses it heavily.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2006
  20. In message <1sb16fnet57wx$>, wogers nemesis
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:21:51 +1200, Martin wrote:
    >
    >> "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    >>> Use RAID zero and you won't be a hero
    >>> Use RAID five and stay alive

    >> Better yet, dont forget, RAID1 mirror, you won't lose a sliver..(ok, so
    >> the
    >> rhyming is marginal but - its the only way to go for 2 disks...(-;

    > Use RAID one and get it done?

    "Friends don't let friends do RAID-0."
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2006