    one drive goes down we can automatically read the data from the other drive
    immediately.

    Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of pounds?
    ºoºfizzyºoº, Sep 15, 2003

  2. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    ºoºfizzyºoº <> typed
    || Is it possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology
    || built-in? Basically, we need a system which will write to two drives
    || at a time so if one drive goes down we can automatically read the
    || data from the other drive immediately.
    || Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of
    || pounds?

    There are dozens of mainboards being sold these days with on board RAID
    controllers.

    Do some research on RAID and also on different brands of mainboards, so you
    get an idea of what you're getting into.

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Sep 15, 2003

  3. What's that supposed to mean??

    ºoºfizzyºoº, Sep 15, 2003
  4. ºoºfizzyºoº

    why? Guest

    Could be www.google.com possibly.

    >"Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In news:,
    >> ºoºfizzyºoº <> typed

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 15, 2003
  5. ºoºfizzyºoº

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:50:19 +0100, ºoºfizzyºoº wrote:

    >Is it possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology built-in?

    Yes, 'some sort' is the operative phrase. A lot of mobos have 'Lite
    RAID BIOS' limited sometimes to only 2 RAID levels and 2 drives.

    >Basically, we need a system which will write to two drives at a time so if

    www.google.com for 'raid level' or 'raid tutorial' or even the 24HSHD
    archived posts http://groups.google.com/ .

    <snip>
    >Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of pounds?

    Depends on how valuable your data is.

    Me
    why?, Sep 15, 2003
  6. MSI make good RAID boards. KT3Ultra2 come to mind. Also the KT4. What
    processor are you using?
    Mirrorfolder 2.0 can mirror your drives or folders drive to drive or over a
    network. 30day trial, $34 bucks to buy.

    --
    Want someone to fix your computer remotely?
    Check out Network info at this site:

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/tips.htm

    BananaPannaPoe-, Sep 15, 2003
  7. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Kraftee Guest

    ºoºfizzyºoº wrote:
    > Is it possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology
    > built-in? Basically, we need a system which will write to two
    > drives at a time so if one drive goes down we can automatically
    > read the data from the other drive immediately.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of
    > pounds?

    The answer is yes, but Raid doesn't work that way, if one hardrive
    goes down you've effectively lost everything as the data is shared
    between the 2 drives, not duplicated on both...

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Sep 15, 2003
  8. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Stevo Guest

    Kraftee wrote:
    > ºoºfizzyºoº wrote:
    >> Is it possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology
    >> built-in? Basically, we need a system which will write to two
    >> drives at a time so if one drive goes down we can automatically
    >> read the data from the other drive immediately.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of
    >> pounds?

    > The answer is yes, but Raid doesn't work that way, if one hardrive
    > goes down you've effectively lost everything as the data is shared
    > between the 2 drives, not duplicated on both...

    That isn't exactly right Kraftee.. it applies to some levels of RAID
    implementation but not all of them.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Sep 15, 2003
  9. ºoºfizzyºoº

    JabberSmith Guest

    > Is it possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology built-in?
    > Basically, we need a system which will write to two drives at a time so if
    > one drive goes down we can automatically read the data from the other

    drive
    > immediately.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of pounds?

    If you are using windows 2000 or higher, there is a "mirroring" function
    built into the drive controllers.

    With two reasonably identical drives you can mirror the data drive with
    Windows. (Though I would put them on separate IDE controllers).

    Only the cost of the extra drive is there.

    Otherwise, a set of IDE drives, hot swappable and so on is not all that
    expensive. ~$400 american including the drives, rack and controller.

    Though, if your stuff is that important spend some cash on it, a good backup
    drive or tape drive an a few creative batch files can do wonders.

    To answer your question directly:

    Yes, RAID motherboards are available. (Note they require SCSI disks) IDE
    mirroring may be the way to go for you though.

    If your stuff is that important also consider:

    - a professional to do the stuff for you
    - tape backup such as Jazz (good for home users, but small)
    - redundant hardware, keep drives, memory, (maybe) CPU and a power supply on
    hand so if something blows up you have a part to pop in quick
    JabberSmith, Sep 16, 2003
  10. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Stevo Guest

    JabberSmith wrote:

    <snip>

    > Yes, RAID motherboards are available. (Note they require SCSI disks)
    > IDE mirroring may be the way to go for you though.

    <snip>

    There are plenty of motherboards on the market nowdays that offer at least
    RAID 0/1 using IDE and/or SATA drives..

    Stevo, Sep 16, 2003
  11. ºoºfizzyºoº

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:58:23 -0500, JabberSmith wrote:

    >"ºoºfizzyºoº" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology built-in?
    >> Basically, we need a system which will write to two drives at a time so if
    >> one drive goes down we can automatically read the data from the other

    >drive
    >> immediately.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of pounds?
    >>

    >If you are using windows 2000 or higher, there is a "mirroring" function
    >built into the drive controllers.
    >
    >With two reasonably identical drives you can mirror the data drive with
    >Windows. (Though I would put them on separate IDE controllers).

    <snip>

    >To answer your question directly:
    >
    >Yes, RAID motherboards are available. (Note they require SCSI disks) IDE

    Not my Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra2, both the basic IDE RAID (level 0/1, 2
    drives only and 2 drives level 0) and the SATA IDE (2 drives) both RAID.

    It's also possible (may be in 24HSHD archive groups.google.com) there is
    an adapter I was told about. Get a good quality SCSI RAID controller and
    use less expensive IDE disks via the adpater (SCSI-IDE) converter.

    why?, Sep 16, 2003
  12. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    ºoºfizzyºoº <> typed
    || What's that supposed to mean??

    It means exactly what it says.

    "There are dozens of mainboards being sold these days with on board RAID
    controllers.

    Do some research on RAID and also on different brands of mainboards, so you
    get an idea of what you're getting into."

    Is English your second language?

    Read below, the question you asked.

    Then read below, the answer I gave, or if you prefer to read above I've
    repeaded the same answer.

    I'll try answering a different way.

    Yes it *is* possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology built-in.

    It's called RAID onboard.

    What's you've described below as your need is precicely what RAID does.

    Because there are actually about a dozen different RAID configurations
    available you'd best head off to do some research to find which will be most
    suitable for your needs. You can stard at www.raid.org

    Is that more to your liking?

    || "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    ||| In news:,
    ||| ºoºfizzyºoº <> typed
    ||| There are dozens of mainboards being sold these days with on board
    ||| RAID controllers.
    ||| Do some research on RAID and also on different brands of
    ||| mainboards, so
    || you
    ||| get an idea of what you're getting into.
    ||| ---
    ||| Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus
    ||| Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Sep 16, 2003
  13. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:Esq9b.584$,
    Kraftee <> typed
    || ºoºfizzyºoº wrote:
    ||| Is it possible to buy a PC with some sort of RAID technology
    ||| built-in? Basically, we need a system which will write to two
    ||| drives at a time so if one drive goes down we can automatically
    ||| read the data from the other drive immediately.
    ||| Does anyone know of a way to do this without spending thousands of
    ||| pounds?
    || The answer is yes, but Raid doesn't work that way, if one hardrive
    || goes down you've effectively lost everything as the data is shared
    || between the 2 drives, not duplicated on both...

    ahhh, actually RAID *does* work that way.

    Though it is referred to as RAID 0, it's not technically a RAID. R being for
    Redundant.

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Sep 16, 2003