Raid problems (Abit NF7-S2G)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Fred, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    > Hi all.

    Yea, what you need?

    > wonder is anyone could help me with a small problem thats almost got me
    > pulling my hair out, now I'm no noob but this is really pissing me off.

    What would happen if you were not no noob but this is really pissing you
    off?

    > Just purchased two Western Digital 36.5GB Raptor hard drives (2x
    > WD360JB 10,000rpm, SATA, 8mb cach) with the intention of putting them
    > on rade 0 (striping) so fitted the drives to sata 1 and sata 2 on the
    > motherboard and turned on sata raid in the BIOS. set my boot sequence
    > to CDrom,HDD, saved the settings, restarted the pc, Sata configuration
    > menu: set up the sata 1 and sata 2 into a striping array with 64k
    > clusters, saved the changes, cleared the disks .. now onto setting up
    > windows 2k .. so booted from cd rom hit F6 selected the Si3112 Win 2k
    > driver .. got to the Disk setup menu and to my surprise instead of one
    > 78.9GB drive there was two 35Gb drives now I've been at this for about
    > 4 hours now so far I have tried every raid driver on the cd-rom
    > (Si3112,Si3114 for win 2k,Nt,Xp) so I then went to Abits website No faq
    > on the subject so went to drivers, ahh I thought when i saw the list of
    > drivers for the NF7-S2G nVidia raid driver there so i downloaded that
    > put it on a floppy did the usual crap selected it on the Drivers menu
    > and same problem .. so off I went back to the website this time I
    > thought I would try the BIOS update so downloaded the latest bios (1.3)
    > installed that reset all my settings .. redone the sata array and off
    > to Win 2k to try again .. nope didnt work ether .. Now before anyone
    > suggests trying win xp .. I've done that all ready with the same
    > results.

    Wow, who hasn't.

    > Seems the problem as far as i can see is that it thinks there is two
    > HDD's instead of one.

    I am not so sure you can see is that it thinks there is two HDD's instead of
    one.

    > So plugged in the power connector for my IDE HDD (WD 120GB 8mb cach
    > 72,000rpm IDE) and booted into win 2k from there I can go into computer
    > manager, disk manager and set up the Striping rade from there but this
    > means my new super fast HDD's would be for back up (which I intended to
    > use my 120Gb WD for).. and yes i did try installing windows on the Raid
    > array that i set up in windows ...

    The Sinclair was the best computer ever!

    > So does anyone have a suggestion other than chucking it off a wall ?

    Ko-chu-pado, she-pa-nom.

    > full pc specs (beacuse someone always asks)

    When?

    Fred, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Fred

    JD Guest

    Fred wrote:

    >> Hi all.

    > Yea, what you need?
    >
    >> wonder is anyone could help me with a small problem thats almost got me
    >> pulling my hair out, now I'm no noob but this is really pissing me off.

    > What would happen if you were not no noob but this is really pissing you
    > off?
    >
    >> Just purchased two Western Digital 36.5GB Raptor hard drives (2x
    >> WD360JB 10,000rpm, SATA, 8mb cach) with the intention of putting them
    >> on rade 0 (striping) so fitted the drives to sata 1 and sata 2 on the
    >> motherboard and turned on sata raid in the BIOS. set my boot sequence
    >> to CDrom,HDD, saved the settings, restarted the pc, Sata configuration
    >> menu: set up the sata 1 and sata 2 into a striping array with 64k
    >> clusters, saved the changes, cleared the disks .. now onto setting up
    >> windows 2k .. so booted from cd rom hit F6 selected the Si3112 Win 2k
    >> driver .. got to the Disk setup menu and to my surprise instead of one
    >> 78.9GB drive there was two 35Gb drives now I've been at this for about
    >> 4 hours now so far I have tried every raid driver on the cd-rom
    >> (Si3112,Si3114 for win 2k,Nt,Xp) so I then went to Abits website No faq
    >> on the subject so went to drivers, ahh I thought when i saw the list of
    >> drivers for the NF7-S2G nVidia raid driver there so i downloaded that
    >> put it on a floppy did the usual crap selected it on the Drivers menu
    >> and same problem .. so off I went back to the website this time I
    >> thought I would try the BIOS update so downloaded the latest bios (1.3)
    >> installed that reset all my settings .. redone the sata array and off
    >> to Win 2k to try again .. nope didnt work ether .. Now before anyone
    >> suggests trying win xp .. I've done that all ready with the same
    >> results.

    > Wow, who hasn't.
    >
    >> Seems the problem as far as i can see is that it thinks there is two
    >> HDD's instead of one.

    > I am not so sure you can see is that it thinks there is two HDD's
    > instead of
    > one.
    >
    >> So plugged in the power connector for my IDE HDD (WD 120GB 8mb cach
    >> 72,000rpm IDE) and booted into win 2k from there I can go into computer
    >> manager, disk manager and set up the Striping rade from there but this
    >> means my new super fast HDD's would be for back up (which I intended to
    >> use my 120Gb WD for).. and yes i did try installing windows on the Raid
    >> array that i set up in windows ...

    > The Sinclair was the best computer ever!
    >
    >> So does anyone have a suggestion other than chucking it off a wall ?

    > Ko-chu-pado, she-pa-nom.
    >
    >> full pc specs (beacuse someone always asks)

    > When?

    when ... like when oooh maybe its your psu isnt supplying enough power ..
    maybe its a pci card thats doing it
    blah bla .. usual ... so instead of well what else have you got in there
    thats causing the problems its better to just list all the components
    thats WHEN !..

    JD, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Fred

    JD Guest

    Ahh bugger it .. just decided to abandon that idea .. I'll just buy a
    dedicated Raid card that will solve the problem .. I'm fed up pissing
    about with this crappy Abit board .. I'll go back to asus while I'm at it!

    JD, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Hi Fred,
    On post does the raid array come up as function? Does it still show
    the raid array when you go back into setup? Did you try setting ide
    controllers to auto or disable them? Double check your boot order in
    the bios for anything weird.
    John
    check me out at www.fastpcnet.net

    fastpcnet.net tech, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Fred

    Fred Guest

    > when ... like when oooh maybe its your psu isnt supplying enough power
    > .. maybe its a pci card thats doing it blah bla .. usual ... so instead
    > of well what else have you got in there thats causing the problems its
    > better to just list all the components thats WHEN !..

    You don't sound too sure.

    Fred, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    > Hi Fred,

    Hey, what's going on?

    > On post does the raid array come up as function? Does it still show the
    > raid array when you go back into setup? Did you try setting ide
    > controllers to auto or disable them? Double check your boot order in
    > the bios for anything weird. John check me out at www.fastpcnet.net

    How strange.

    Fucking stupid, top-posting tit.

    Fred, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Fred

    JD Guest

    fastpcnet.net tech wrote:
> [...]

    >>>results.

    >>Wow, who hasn't.
    >>

    >>>Seems the problem as far as i can see is that it thinks there is two
    >>>HDD's instead of one.

    >>I am not so sure you can see is that it thinks there is two HDD's instead of
    >>one.
    >>

    >>>So plugged in the power connector for my IDE HDD (WD 120GB 8mb cach
    >>>72,000rpm IDE) and booted into win 2k from there I can go into computer
    >>>manager, disk manager and set up the Striping rade from there but this
    >>>means my new super fast HDD's would be for back up (which I intended to
    >>>use my 120Gb WD for).. and yes i did try installing windows on the Raid
    >>>array that i set up in windows ...

    >>The Sinclair was the best computer ever!
    >>

    >>> So does anyone have a suggestion other than chucking it off a wall ?

    >>Ko-chu-pado, she-pa-nom.
    >>

    >>> full pc specs (beacuse someone always asks)

    Hi thanks for your reply .. but yes I have checked all the boot orders
    disabled all the ide's etc .. I have worked out the problem tho Its the
    nVidia Raid drivers there bollox .. the raid aray is working fine and it
    shows up as a 68.95GB drive its only the windows set up thats muking
    things about I have purchased a PCI RAID adapter that will solve the
    problem

    Thnx anyway.

    JD, Oct 23, 2004
  8. Fred

    JD Guest

    Fred wrote:
    >> Hi Fred,

    > Hey, what's going on?
    >
    >> On post does the raid array come up as function? Does it still show the
    >> raid array when you go back into setup? Did you try setting ide
    >> controllers to auto or disable them? Double check your boot order in
    >> the bios for anything weird. John check me out at www.fastpcnet.net

    > How strange.
    >

    > Fucking stupid, top-posting tit.

    Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the post ?

    JD, Oct 23, 2004
  9. Fred

    Fred Guest

    JD gnawed:

    > Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the post?

    Quite often.

    Fred, Oct 23, 2004