Raid problems (Abit NF7-S2G)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    Hi all.
    wonder is anyone could help me with a small problem thats almost got me
    pulling my hair out, now I'm no noob but this is really pissing me off.

    so here we go..

    Just purchased two Western Digital 36.5GB Raptor hard drives
    (2x WD360JB 10,000rpm, SATA, 8mb cach)
    with the intention of putting them on rade 0 (striping) so fitted the
    drives to sata 1 and sata 2 on the motherboard and turned on sata raid
    in the BIOS. set my boot sequence to CDrom,HDD, saved the settings,
    restarted the pc, Sata configuration menu: set up the sata 1 and sata 2
    into a striping array with 64k clusters, saved the changes, cleared the
    disks .. now onto setting up windows 2k .. so booted from cd rom hit F6
    selected the Si3112 Win 2k driver .. got to the Disk setup menu and to
    my surprise instead of one 78.9GB drive there was two 35Gb drives now
    I've been at this for about 4 hours now so far I have tried every raid
    driver on the cd-rom (Si3112,Si3114 for win 2k,Nt,Xp) so I then went to
    Abits website No faq on the subject so went to drivers, ahh I thought
    when i saw the list of drivers for the NF7-S2G nVidia raid driver there
    so i downloaded that put it on a floppy did the usual crap selected it
    on the Drivers menu and same problem .. so off I went back to the
    website this time I thought I would try the BIOS update so downloaded
    the latest bios (1.3) installed that reset all my settings .. redone the
    sata array and off to Win 2k to try again .. nope didnt work ether ..
    Now before anyone suggests trying win xp .. I've done that all ready
    with the same results.

    Seems the problem as far as i can see is that it thinks there is two
    HDD's instead of one.

    So plugged in the power connector for my IDE HDD (WD 120GB 8mb cach
    72,000rpm IDE) and booted into win 2k from there I can go into computer
    manager, disk manager and set up the Striping rade from there but this
    means my new super fast HDD's would be for back up (which I intended to
    use my 120Gb WD for).. and yes i did try installing windows on the Raid
    array that i set up in windows ...

    So does anyone have a suggestion other than chucking it off a wall ?

    full pc specs (beacuse someone always asks)

    Abit NF7-S2G mobo
    AMX XP Barton 2600+
    1GB OCZ PC320 low cas
    2x WD360 SATA HDD
    1x WD120 IDE HDD
    SB Live
    56k V90 intel modem
    Speadstream ADSL modem PCI
    1x DVD rom (sony)
    1X CD/rw (LG)
    550W PSU (Superflower designed for amd)

    JD, Oct 21, 2004

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    Just bought a Adaptec SATA Raid PCI card (1210sa) and its working fine
    much better than the crappy motherboard raid.

    JD, Oct 27, 2004