'Raid' hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doobydoobydo, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. doobydoobydo

    doobydoobydo Guest

    How would I know if I have a 'raid' hard drive. I have suddenly discovered
    after two years that my hard drive is partitioned. Someone said I should
    put all saved 'stuff' on the second partition as this speeds up the puter.
    I also have a recovery partition.
    Dunno if the below is any help in seeing if I have a 'Raid' hard disk, got
    the feeling its not.
    Is it true about putting saved stuff on second partition?

    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 152.55 GB 51.77 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 1) 160.04 GB 159.66 GB free
    e: (FAT32 on drive 0) 7.47 GB 3.98 GB free

    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    215.41 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S [CD-ROM drive]
    PHILIPS DVDR16LS [CD-ROM drive]

    Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
    Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
    Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
    Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
    ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1
    ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0

    Thanks
    Sheila
    doobydoobydo, Sep 14, 2007

  2. doobydoobydo

    Tina Peters Guest

    "doobydoobydo" <> wrote in message

    > the puter.

    What's a 'puter'?

    *grrrr*
    Tina Peters, Sep 14, 2007

  3. doobydoobydo

    doobydoobydo Guest

    "Tina Peters" <> wrote in message

    > "doobydoobydo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> the puter.

    > What's a 'puter'?
    >
    > *grrrr*

    something you get commed into buying by your kids, sorry children.
    doobydoobydo, Sep 14, 2007
  4. doobydoobydo

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:50:19 +0100, doobydoobydo wrote:

    >How would I know if I have a 'raid' hard drive. I have suddenly discovered

    A 'raid' hard drive performance wise or a 'raid' array configured? :)

    RAID is usually setup in the PC BIOS settings. When you boot there may
    well be a RAID message on screen checking the array and indicating it's
    okay.

    ** Don't go poking aroung, if you enable RAID it will WIPE everything as
    it will REFORMAT the disks. **

    If the PC was bought with 2 hardrives (100GB for 200GB total) and you
    see 100GB. That's RAID 1 a simple mirror, 1 drive is a copy of the
    other.

    You little table would be
    c d e (drive 0) 100GB
    The other drive may not be visible as the RAID controller manages it.

    If you see 1 drive (volume labels like C/D/E) only and it's 200GB then
    that's RAID 0 stipped it appears as 1 drive. Your list nelow shows 2
    drives (volumes) C/E on 1 hardisk and D on the other.

    This most likely would be
    c d e (drive 0) 200GB

    The report for the physical drives would be the same

    http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/l/aaRAIDPage1.htm

    >after two years that my hard drive is partitioned. Someone said I should

    Partition is a different thing, it's dividing the spave up in volumes,
    like C D and E.

    >put all saved 'stuff' on the second partition as this speeds up the puter.

    Well it's safer and you should backup anyway. Say you had to reinstall
    Windows, it's a lot easier if it's on C and your data is on D. Then when
    you write a clean setup of Windows to C it doesn't write to D.

    >I also have a recovery partition.
    >Dunno if the below is any help in seeing if I have a 'Raid' hard disk, got
    >the feeling its not.
    >Is it true about putting saved stuff on second partition?
    >

    > c: (NTFS on drive 0) 152.55 GB 51.77 GB free
    > d: (NTFS on drive 1) 160.04 GB 159.66 GB free

    You haven't used D, by the look of things.

    > e: (FAT32 on drive 0) 7.47 GB 3.98 GB free

    Not RAIDed, you have 2 x 160, C/E and D on the 2 drives.

    >Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    >3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    >16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    >1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    >
    >320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    >215.41 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    <snip>

    >ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1
    >ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0
    >
    >Thanks
    >Sheila

    Me
    why?, Sep 14, 2007
  5. doobydoobydo wrote:

    > "Tina Peters" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "doobydoobydo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> the puter.

    >> What's a 'puter'?
    >>
    >> *grrrr*

    > something you get commed into buying by your kids, sorry children.

    I believe you mean "conned" into. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups