RAID + Dual Boot = Slow or No Boot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mhicaoidh, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    I am attempting to add an Adaptec 1200A RAID card to my dual (XP Pro and
    2000 Pro) boot system to configure a RAID1 array. However, after installing
    the card and drivers, I pull the IDE cable off the motherboard, and connect
    it to the Adaptec. In past experience this works fine, and computers have
    booted up without issue. Once I confirm this, I then create the mirror
    array. I have done this on 5 client machines ... however, on mine it is not
    working.

    When I attach the ribbon to the RAID card, the system POSTs, and I get
    the boot menu to select XP or 2000. Both of them then are very slow to boot
    up to login. 2000 can take up to 7 minutes, and XP usually never makes it
    to login ... I have given it up to 34 minutes. Once 2000 gets to login
    screen, performance seems normal. The one time I got XP to boot fully,
    performance seemed normal also ... save for having to re-activate my XP
    license due to too many system changes.

    I have flashed the Adaptec's BIOS and updated the drivers to the latest
    with no success. I have SCSI set as my main boot device (EP-8KHA+
    motherboard). I played with settings in the mobo BIOS, and 2000 booted
    normally once ... but I could not replicate it a second time. I need to get
    this sorted before I mirror the drive to another and create the array. So,
    any help would be appreciated.

    TIA
    mhicaoidh, Aug 28, 2003