    drives''. i had assumed that any matched pair of hard drives could be
    used with a raid capable motherboard as a raid setup. what's different
    about these?

    mannock, Jan 6, 2005

  2. mannock

    Drifter Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:18:31 +0000 (UTC), "mannock"
    <> wrote:

    >i'm looking for some new hard drives to use as raid setup, and i've
    >noticed among those for sale on the internet shops, some listed as ''raid
    >drives''. i had assumed that any matched pair of hard drives could be
    >used with a raid capable motherboard as a raid setup. what's different
    >about these?

    advertising.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jan 6, 2005

  3. mannock

    JD Guest

    mannock wrote:
    > i'm looking for some new hard drives to use as raid setup, and i've
    > noticed among those for sale on the internet shops, some listed as ''raid
    > drives''. i had assumed that any matched pair of hard drives could be
    > used with a raid capable motherboard as a raid setup. what's different
    > about these?

    For a RAID setup you will require 2 Identicle drives (I use Western
    Digital Raptor 36.5Gb 10,000RPM 8mb cach SATA) you can use 2x(or more)
    IDE/ATA or SATA (and lets not forget SCSII if you have a few quid)
    provided you have an appropriate RAID card (motherboard or PCI) the
    drives you have seen that are listed as "raid compatible" disable the
    smart monitoring the Hard drive does (cluster mapping/repair) and lets
    the controller card do it instead, the reason for this is that if you
    have a raid setup and one of the drives starts remapping/cluster repairs
    etc it can take a few seconds for it to respond in which time the
    controller card may deem it as faulty and bin your raid..

    I dont have the newer "RAID serie's" hard drives but they work fine and
    i have had no problems (with ether ATA/IDE or SATA) so its all about
    cost now .. buy whatever you can afford.

    JD, Jan 6, 2005
  4. mannock

    derek / nul Guest

    wrote:

    >i'm looking for some new hard drives to use as raid setup, and i've
    >noticed among those for sale on the internet shops, some listed as ''raid
    >drives''. i had assumed that any matched pair of hard drives could be
    >used with a raid capable motherboard as a raid setup. what's different
    >about these?

    nothing

    derek / nul, Jan 7, 2005
  5. mannock

    derek / nul Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:57:33 +0000, JD <> wrote:

    >mannock wrote:
    >> i'm looking for some new hard drives to use as raid setup, and i've
    >> noticed among those for sale on the internet shops, some listed as ''raid
    >> drives''. i had assumed that any matched pair of hard drives could be
    >> used with a raid capable motherboard as a raid setup. what's different
    >> about these?
    >>

    >For a RAID setup you will require 2 Identicle drives (I use Western

    Not correct, any 2 drives can be used.
    The raid number has not been mentioned so I will assume raid 1, as raid 0 is not
    raid at all.

    Using a 40Gb and a 30Gb on a raid 1 array, you can only get a 30Gb raid drive.

    derek / nul, Jan 7, 2005
  6. mannock

    Joe Guest

    "derek / nul" <> wrote in message

    > Not correct, any 2 drives can be used.
    > The raid number has not been mentioned so I will assume raid 1, as raid 0
    > is not
    > raid at all.

    True. Raid 0 is not a Raid as raid stands for Redundant Arrays of
    Inexpensive Disks and there is no redundancy in Raid 0 but it is refered to
    as a Raid. Lets not confuse they guy.

    Joe

    Joe, Jan 7, 2005
  7. mannock

    JD Guest

    derek / nul wrote:

    >>For a RAID setup you will require 2 Identicle drives (I use Western

    > Not correct, any 2 drives can be used.

    I wrote that before going to bed your absaloutly correct however its
    always recomended to use identicle drives so as the transfer speed is
    the same! (ATA speeds and cach size's differ on hard drives as does the
    expected hour lifespan of a dirve) besides he is looking for "some
    drives" therefore it would not be beneficial to buy different drives.

    > The raid number has not been mentioned so I will assume raid 1, as raid 0 is not
    > raid at all.

    True but i was on the assumption it was going to be RAID 0 (most common
    one used on home system's) I guess hes probably trying to build a
    performance gaming machine (correct me if I'm wrong)

    and theres no redundancy on "RAID JABOD" ether.

    > Using a 40Gb and a 30Gb on a raid 1 array, you can only get a 30Gb raid drive.

    Waste of a good 10 gig

    JD, Jan 7, 2005
  8. mannock

    Trey Guest

    derek / nul wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:57:33 +0000, JD <> wrote:
    >
    >> mannock wrote:
    >>> i'm looking for some new hard drives to use as raid setup, and
    >>> i've noticed among those for sale on the internet shops, some
    >>> listed as ''raid drives''. i had assumed that any matched pair
    >>> of hard drives could be used with a raid capable motherboard as a
    >>> raid setup. what's different about these?
    >>>

    >> For a RAID setup you will require 2 Identicle drives (I use Western

    > Not correct, any 2 drives can be used.
    > The raid number has not been mentioned so I will assume raid 1, as
    > raid 0 is not raid at all.
    >
    > Using a 40Gb and a 30Gb on a raid 1 array, you can only get a 30Gb
    > raid drive.

    Raid 0 can be referred to as "AID" since its not a "Redundant Array" ;-)

    Trey, Jan 7, 2005
  9. mannock

    mannock Guest

    great, thanks folks.

    mannock, Jan 7, 2005
  10. mannock

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:26:28 +0000, JD <> wrote:

    >derek / nul wrote:
    >

    >>>For a RAID setup you will require 2 Identicle drives (I use Western

    >> Not correct, any 2 drives can be used.

    >I wrote that before going to bed your absaloutly correct however its
    >always recomended to use identicle drives so as the transfer speed is
    >the same!

    Again, it doesn't matter. Make sure the faster drive is the primary, the
    firmware handles the writes to the second drive differently, they are written
    after the primary drive.

    derek / nul, Jan 7, 2005