RAID Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. The is a repost for two reasons the big one is I made a mistake trying to
    reply to one of the replies to my original post and got the post flagged as
    answered. Also I have done some more work on the problem and I am fairly
    sure that I’m doing something wrong or the RAID Drivers are the problem.

    I have the following new computer hardware and can’t get Windows XP Pro x64
    Edition installed using the 2 hard drives configured as RAID 0. Without
    using the nVIDIA nForce4 RAID chipset controller, XP x64 installs smoothly on
    the same 2 SATA hard drives and runs fine.

    (1) Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000 Series case.
    (2) Thermaltake Purge Power TWV500W W0057 Power supply.
    (3) AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
    (4) ASUS A8N-E Motherboard with BIOS Version 1005.
    (5) ASUS Video Graphics card EAX800XL/2DTV/256M/A
    (6) 2 MB DDR PC3200 Memory, Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PRO, configured as
    Dual Channel.
    (7) 2 Western Digital 160GB SATA Hard Drive Configured as RAID 0, Drive
    WD SATA II P/N WD1600JS
    (8)CD\DVD Drive, Plextor SATA P/N: PX-716SA/SW.
    (9) Keyboard and Mouse are PS2 not USB.
    (10) LCD Monitor.

    Does any body have a RAID 0 configuration up and running with XP x64 and the
    ASUS A8N-E motherboard? If you do, can you tell me what you are using for
    RAID drivers and where you gone them.

    The 32 Bit RAID drivers that are on the CD that came with the motherboard
    work fine with Win XP Pro 32 Bit. But the 64 Bit Drives on the CD hangs the
    installation program as soon as it reads them from the RAID Driver floppy
    disk.

    The 64 Bit RAID drivers that are with nVIDIA’s nForce4 chipset driver set
    version 6.66 work a little better, but still cause the installation of XP x64
    to fail. Computer does a hard reset during second reboot with no BSOD. Then
    goes directly to the same diagnostic screen you get if you press F8 during a
    normal Windows startup. If you try to startup Win XP x64 at that time in
    Safe Mode it displays the normal list of drives and software being loaded
    then halts and does a hard reset again.

    I have the computer up and running with no problems, on Win XP Pro x64, but
    with the same 2 hard drives NOT configured as a RAID drive set. Without
    using the RAID controller the installation of XP x64 went smoothly and I’ve
    had no problem getting all of the other hardware drivers and software
    installed and working. Computer is stable and even attempts to confuse the
    OS and cause it to crash have only resulted in it telling me what I was doing
    is a NO, NO or displaying a message stating what ever I was messing with was
    having a problem and it would have to be shutdown and restarted.
    I've tried all the version of RAID drives on the ASUS A8N-E download page.
    Plus nVIDIA's latest, but I can't get through the XP x64 installation without
    the computer crashing. I’ve redownloaded all drivers I have tried at lest
    twice from alternate sites and made new RAID Driver floppies each time with
    no effect on the problem.
    If anyone can tell me what I’m doing wrong, please jump in.
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just to clarify. When you offer the Nvidia Raid floppy during F6 it shows
    two drivers, both labeled ' required' . One is the RAID driver and one is
    Controller driver. Are you saying you only use the RAID driver and do not
    use the Controller driver when you get a successful install? Do you have
    RAID enabled in the Nvidia Configuration under advanced setup of your BIOS?

    John Barnes, Jul 22, 2005

  3. With nVIDIA nForce4 Chipset Windows doesn't required the pacific drivers for
    to find the SATA Drives if they are not in a RAID configuration. So, I have
    the BIOS RAID Settings all Disabled. I didn't have to use F6 function to
    load any drivers.

    Yes, when the XP x64 install fails the BIOS Advanced/Devices
    Configuration/NVRAID Configuration/SATA 1 & 3 are enabled. The F10 Function
    is pressed to the start NVIDIA RAID utility and the setting for RAID 0 is
    done on the 2 drives. At start of installation I pressed F6 and specified

    When I did the none RAID installation of XP x64 that worked I reset the BIOS
    to Default Values before starting the installation.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Both of your drives are SATA II and you were able to install successfully on
    one of them.

    John Barnes, Jul 22, 2005
  5. Yes, both are SATA II and I made no hardware changes, Just disabled the RAID
    Controller in BIOS.

    Both drives are still even plugged into same SATA connectors 1 & 2 on the
    motherboard.

    The second Drive shows up on the Windows Disk Manager I just have not
    formatted or tried to use it yet.

    Also, both drives have run through Western Digitals drive diagnostic, twice,
    without any reported errors.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 22, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Roger:
    In your second post you indicated that Raid was disabled in the
    Bios. It has to be enabled in the Bios for it to function.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Dennis:

    I was relating to John the conditions under which I had gotten Win XP x64 to
    install NOT using the hard drives configured as a RAID Drive set. I had
    installed XP x64 setting the hard drives up as basic hard drives to verify
    all other hardware, drivers and software were working with Win XP x64 as a
    test.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 23, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You did say you had 1 & 3 configured for RAID but your drives are plugged
    into ! & 2. Was that a typo? I am glad to hear someone getting x64 to
    install on a SATA II drive. Guess I will try a Samsung or WD since I am
    having no luck with my Hitachi.

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  9. John,

    That was a typo. HD's are plugged into 1 & 2 and always have been.

    And yes the hard drive SATA II's. They have worked fine and have not given
    me any problems.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 23, 2005
  10. My SATAII is forced back to SATAI by the VIA controller, but it works fine as
    that. Just not at SATA II speeds. :(

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    At least in your case you bought a motherboard with a southbridge chipset
    that doesn't claim to be able to handle the SATA II speeds. Those of us
    that bought Nvidia chips because they claimed to be able to handle it are
    :-(( It works at that speed great as a data drive, but won't boot x64 on my
    system. Handles x86 great too.

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  12. Correct. Again, it's a case of buying in the safe zone. I would actually much
    prefer to run off the Promise controller on that mobo, but knew going in that
    it wasn't yet working in x64. But that all the other pieces I cared about
    were working fine. Maybe not the fastest board out there, but one that I knew
    I could expect to actually work. I often find myself making those kinds of
    purchase decisions, since I know that whatever box I buy isn't likely to be
    running a released OS for very long. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  13. Is there anyway to tell if the SATA II drives are the cause of my problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 23, 2005
  14. How do you tell if your SATA II is running at SATA II speeds or has been
    forced to SATA I by the controller,

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 23, 2005
  15. Well, in my case because I was getting time outs on first startup. So I
    jumpered the driver back to SATA I

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 24, 2005
  16. Update report on my working on this problem I have.
    First, John Barnes: you acted like because of my experiences with the SATA
    II drives, that you felt it was safe to purchase and use these drives with
    Win XP Pro x64 Edition. Don’t, there may still be problems with them.
    I replaced the 2 WD SATA II drives I was trying to get XP x64 installed on,
    but have be unable too, using 2 Seagate SATA I drives that were up and
    running in another computer configured as RAID 0 Set. Results was no change
    in the symptoms when XP x64 installs it crashes during the second reboot.
    There is no BSOD, computer just halts with Windows startup screen being
    displayed, directly does a hard reset.
    So!!! It’s more and more looking like the nVIDIA 64 Bit nForce4 RAID
    drivers are the problem. Except I have found a user on another Forum, that
    said he had a RAID 0 configuration running on the same ASUS A8N-E motherboard
    with to Seagate Type I drives. But, there is a twist to his story; he just
    upgrade to WD SATA II type drives and he now has the same problem with same
    symptoms I’m getting.
    I’m about out of ideas, sure which some one would jump in with a miracle
    fix. The only components I have not changed are the Power Supply and the
    motherboard and I will receive a new Power Supply order for another system on
    Monday, that I can try in this computer.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 24, 2005
  17. OK, let's talk a bit about which drivers are used where. When you install XP,
    both 32-bit and 64-bit, you are using text mode drivers. These drivers need
    to either be in the operating system, or you need to use F6 to tell the OS
    about them. (OK, you could slipstream them as well, but then you've basically
    put them into the operating system.)

    During text mode, the drivers are explicitly loaded. But when you first boot
    up to the GUI mode login, Plug and Play comes into effect. No longer is the
    explicit load and F6 doing the job for you -- the drivers need to have the
    correct PnP enumerators to load correctly. This was a major problem with some
    drivers during the transition from Beta to Release, when the decoration
    requirements got tighter for PnP storate drivers. During the early stage of
    startup, PnP doesn't come into play, and the boot process will proceed. But,
    just about the time that it flips over into full GUI mode, it switches over
    to PnP for all drivers. If, at this point, the PnP enumeration for your
    storage controller fails, Windows XP can't see your hard drive, and it
    immediately crashes and reboots. (You can control the automatic reboot
    behaviour to hold it at the failure point so you can see it by setting this
    using F8 just at the very beginning of the Windows startup process.)

    So, it's back to nVidia and their drivers, I'm afraid.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 25, 2005
  18. Charlie,
    Think you hit the nail on the head, but I have a question or two if you have
    the time to answer.
    First, I up loaded the Beta BIOS from ASUS; install it and Win XP x6
    installed with no problem. Its run fine and I have load all basic drives and
    no problem other than had to nVIDIA nForce4 Drives supplied on CD supplied
    crashed the system bad I had to reinstall XP x64 again. All of the drivers
    from nForce4 Chipset Version 6.66 I downloaded are working OK through.
    Question, when you the text mode RAID drivers are not used after GUI
    startup. Does that mean they are not used during the GUI portion of the
    installation, because it was after that, during restart showing the Win x64
    GUI Logo startup screen that the computer was crashing on me. Not during the
    final restart with Win x64 GUI Logo screen displayed.
    Fix for the problem was load and installation of ASUS’s latest BIOS Beta.
    Whish they would list the fixes that are in the Beta’s. I had not installed
    the Beta because I didn’t want to add to my problems.
    I have battling this problem fore 9 days now if you count the bad Graphics
    Video card.
    Thank You, and all the other people the gave me input.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 26, 2005
  19. I find with ASUS that it's important to keep up with their BIOS releases if
    you're having any problems at all. They do seem to resolve some things in
    each one. The other thing I would watch for are ASUS released versions of the
    nVIDIA drivers, rather than going to nVIDIA for them. Chances are that ASUS
    may have something just a bit non-standard. Do NOT count on the ones on a CD
    being up to date, by the way -- the lead time to cut a CD can be pretty long,
    and they generally don't do updates to them, but count on the Internet for
    updated drivers. I've always found it wise to grab the latest versions from
    their support site before I ever build the machine.

    PnP drivers kick in during the first "real" startup, after the Windows XP x64
    Edition splash screen, about the time the video kicks over to a blue graphics
    background, I believe.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2005