    in the array, or is having 1 disk controller for each disk aloud?
    --
    Programmer/ Network Support Analyst Student

    SagaBoi17, Jun 5, 2005

  2. How I understand you described
    hardware based RAID-5
    but there also possible to setup software based RAID-5
    in this way you can join disks how you want and setup software based RAID-5

    Armen Kirakosyan, Jun 5, 2005

  3. SagaBoi17

    storm warden Guest

    Personally if you were to set up a raid system i woud stick with the hardware
    controller option and let it to the donky work. If you use a software option
    then you are putting more load onto the CPU.

    1 Conroller Per array

    The same goes with motherbords that provide onbord raid. It is easier to
    swap out a controller than a motherboard plus if your motherbard goes
    pairshape you may not be able to get your array back Of course if you are
    going to do any maintainace you would back ithe info stored 1st.

    storm warden, Jun 5, 2005
  4. SagaBoi17

    SagaBoi17 Guest

    Thianks guyz, so I'll take it as when there is a Hardware RAID 5, 1
    controller is needed only for many disks.

    Where there is a software RAID 5, it doesn't matter how many controllers are
    used, because it displays all the disks as 1 to the OS, when created.

    SagaBoi17, Jun 6, 2005
  5. No no
    when it is hardware RAID - in this way windows shows it as single disk

    in software RAID you can maintain and setup your RAID from Disk Management

    Armen Kirakosyan, Jun 6, 2005