    Is it a right speed?
    thanks very much

    bye Adriano

    Adriano, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Adriano

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Adriano <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi,
    > I have a new PC with three HDs: "C" "D" "E."
    > In the "C" there is the operating system Win XP.
    > I use "D" only as music deposit and avi files, etc.
    > The retailer made Raid 1 in "D" HD.
    > I now see everything is ok, but "D" HD works slower than others.
    > In fact I see a low transfer rate in writing.
    > I see in reading: 31 MB/S
    > in writing: 4380 KB/S
    > I have a Pentium IV 2800 MHz
    > Is it a right speed?
    > thanks very much

    If the two drives making up RAID drive D: are on the same channel, you
    could very well see this. RAID1 works by writing the same data to both
    drives at the same time (mirroring). If you are writing to two drives on
    the same IDE channel then you would get poorer performance. Why are you
    using a RAID1 array to begin with though?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Adriano

    Edge Guest

    I'm getting a new system and plan to use RAID 1 for data backup. Is it true
    that RAID 1 will always be slower? Intel claims that their RAID1 will give a
    slight boost in speed. Should I instruct the system integrator to make sure
    two separate channels are used.

    TIA

    Edge, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Adriano

    Night_Seer Guest

    Edge wrote:
    > I'm getting a new system and plan to use RAID 1 for data backup. Is
    > it true that RAID 1 will always be slower? Intel claims that their
    > RAID1 will give a slight boost in speed. Should I instruct the
    > system integrator to make sure two separate channels are used.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >> Adriano <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have a new PC with three HDs: "C" "D" "E."
    >>> In the "C" there is the operating system Win XP.
    >>> I use "D" only as music deposit and avi files, etc.
    >>> The retailer made Raid 1 in "D" HD.
    >>> I now see everything is ok, but "D" HD works slower than others.
    >>> In fact I see a low transfer rate in writing.
    >>> I see in reading: 31 MB/S
    >>> in writing: 4380 KB/S
    >>> I have a Pentium IV 2800 MHz
    >>> Is it a right speed?
    >>> thanks very much
    >>>

    >> If the two drives making up RAID drive D: are on the same channel,
    >> you could very well see this. RAID1 works by writing the same data
    >> to both drives at the same time (mirroring). If you are writing to
    >> two drives on the same IDE channel then you would get poorer
    >> performance. Why are you using a RAID1 array to begin with though?
    >>
    >> --
    >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    >> website: under construction
    >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    >> email/IM for rates/services

    I don't see how anyone can claim that RAID 1 is faster, maybe RAID 0
    but not RAID 1. Basically you are writing the same thing twice, which
    will always be slower than writing it once. Try it with a pencil, or a
    typewriter, or even a word processor. Writing things twice usually
    takes twice as long, unless you use cut and paste, but hard drives don't
    have that option. At best you will get equal speed, as both hard drives
    might write simultaneously, but there will always be overhead of sending
    the info twice. Honestly it won't be slow either, and some RAID devices
    work pretty much at the same speed on a single channel or on 2 seperate
    ones. I would think 2 seperate ones would always be best though.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Night_Seer wrote:
    > Edge wrote:
    >
    >>I'm getting a new system and plan to use RAID 1 for data backup. Is
    >>it true that RAID 1 will always be slower? Intel claims that their
    >>RAID1 will give a slight boost in speed. Should I instruct the
    >>system integrator to make sure two separate channels are used.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    >>"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Adriano <> wrote in

    >>>If the two drives making up RAID drive D: are on the same channel,
    >>>you could very well see this. RAID1 works by writing the same data
    >>>to both drives at the same time (mirroring). If you are writing to
    >>>two drives on the same IDE channel then you would get poorer
    >>>performance. Why are you using a RAID1 array to begin with though?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    >>>email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    >>>website: under construction
    >>>Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    >>>email/IM for rates/services

    > I don't see how anyone can claim that RAID 1 is faster, maybe RAID 0
    > but not RAID 1. Basically you are writing the same thing twice, which
    > will always be slower than writing it once. Try it with a pencil, or a
    > typewriter, or even a word processor. Writing things twice usually
    > takes twice as long, unless you use cut and paste, but hard drives don't
    > have that option. At best you will get equal speed, as both hard drives
    > might write simultaneously, but there will always be overhead of sending
    > the info twice. Honestly it won't be slow either, and some RAID devices
    > work pretty much at the same speed on a single channel or on 2 seperate
    > ones. I would think 2 seperate ones would always be best though.

    The problem with your argument is that you've focussed solely on
    writing. Writing, generally, is slower with RAID 1. The only way it can
    be faster is if you're comparing different controllers, and then it's
    the controller that makes the difference, not the setup. (Many RAID
    controllers do caching, some with battery backup so you don't lose
    what's in the cache even if there's a power failure.)

    Reading's a different story though. Since you have 2 drives with the
    same data it doesn't matter which drive you read from. Assuming they're
    on different channels then you can alternate read requests between the
    drives-while one is returning the data for the first read the other is
    'enqueuing' it for the next. The result is a faster read.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 18, 2003