    and checks with the server ( radius or TACACS+) to see if the user can
    access the network resources. Can anyone explain the difference in
    architecture of terminology please?

    six-pack to be, Dec 26, 2007

  2. six-pack to be

    Trendkill Guest

    On Dec 26, 12:59 pm, six-pack to be <> wrote:
    > Greetings-
    > Ran into a question as follows: "In radius security architecture
    > what is the network access server", and the answer is the
    > authenticator. This makes me wonder how is this different from TACACS
    > +? In both, there is a NAS that receives the request from the user
    > and checks with the server ( radius or TACACS+) to see if the user can
    > access the network resources. Can anyone explain the difference in
    > architecture of terminology please?

    Not sure what is really being asked here, but both TACACs and RADIUS
    are Network Access Server (NAS) devices. While TACACs can have
    daughter boxes that actually authenticate and a different box as the
    true master, I believe RADIUS offers all those same features (with
    some differences of course). The bottom line is, this question is
    asking you what a NAS is, and I'm pretty sure the answer is 'the
    authenticator' regardless of whether the question said RADIUS or
    TACACs architecture. This is because the NAS device is receiving
    authentication requests, including credentials, and acting the role as
    the authenticator which decides if access is granted or denied, and
    what level of access those credentials shall get.

    Trendkill, Dec 27, 2007