    Hi, this is probably in some FAQ, but... does IOS 12.3/12.4 support
    guaranteed RADIUS accounting stop packet delivery? If yes, how would I
    enable it? Thank you.
    rihad, May 21, 2008

  2. rihad

    rihad Guest

    Anybody?
    rihad, May 26, 2008

  3. rihad

    News Reader Guest

    rihad wrote:
    > Hi, this is probably in some FAQ, but... does IOS 12.3/12.4 support
    > guaranteed RADIUS accounting stop packet delivery? If yes, how would I
    > enable it? Thank you.

    I'm not sure how you would guarantee delivery of the stop packet
    specifically, or why receipt of the stop packet would specifically be at
    risk.

    However, if you used the "wait-start" keyword, you would at least ensure
    that accounting is taking place before the requested user process could
    commence.

    e.g.:

    aaa accounting network default wait-start group radius

    If the start packet was successfully passed to the accounting server,
    you would then at least have reason to expect that the stop packet
    should also be successfully received.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader
    News Reader, May 26, 2008
  4. rihad

    rihad Guest

    On May 26, 9:01 pm, News Reader <> wrote:
    > I'm not sure how you would guarantee delivery of the stop packet
    > specifically, or why receipt of the stop packet would specifically be at
    > risk.

    Being that RADIUS uses UDP for pushing packets around, it's sometimes
    annoying that stop packets never make it to the billing server. One
    negative result is accounts that are still marked as online when in
    reality they aren't. RADIUS stop packets are probably of a "fire-and-
    forget" type, and are delivered asynchronously, so there's probably no
    retransmission taking place. Perhaps RADIUS itself can do what UDP
    can't?

    > aaa accounting network default wait-start group radius

    I'm not sure if wait-start will also retransmit stop packets if need
    be?
    rihad, May 27, 2008
  5. rihad

    sircco Guest

    On 2008-05-27, rihad <> wrote:
    > On May 26, 9:01 pm, News Reader <> wrote:
    >> I'm not sure how you would guarantee delivery of the stop packet
    >> specifically, or why receipt of the stop packet would specifically be at
    >> risk.
    >>

    > Being that RADIUS uses UDP for pushing packets around, it's sometimes
    > annoying that stop packets never make it to the billing server. One
    > negative result is accounts that are still marked as online when in
    > reality they aren't. RADIUS stop packets are probably of a "fire-and-
    > forget" type, and are delivered asynchronously, so there's probably no
    > retransmission taking place. Perhaps RADIUS itself can do what UDP
    > can't?
    >
    >> aaa accounting network default wait-start group radius

    > I'm not sure if wait-start will also retransmit stop packets if need
    > be?

    Did you consider other option called diameter? Amongst few other cool
    features it can use TCP as transport protocol. I'm not sure if cisco
    started supporting it but here is the link to some useful info to
    get you started

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diameter_(protocol)

    rgds,
    d.