    on my cap? say i listen 5 hours a day, 5 hrs
    a week? does radio stream takes a high bandwidth?

    tnx

    Deck, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Deck

    Buck Rogers Guest

    Deck allegedly said:

    > right now i'm on a dial-up and i love to
    > listen on the radio thru the net. my question
    > is if i'm upgrading to DSL how does gonna eat-up
    > on my cap? say i listen 5 hours a day, 5 hrs
    > a week? does radio stream takes a high bandwidth?
    >
    > tnx

    Dial-up to listen....problem solved.

    Buck Rogers, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Do you need to upgrade to DSL for other reasons? - I guess you would like to
    free up your phone line?

    It depends on the stream, say roughly a 45k stream on 56k dialup, 45k / 8bit
    * 60sec * 60min * 5hour * 5days * 4weeks.... / 1024 = 1977MB data.... or
    around 2GB.

    If you picked a higher quality stream (say around 120k for 128k DSL) it
    would work out around 5273MB, or just over 5GB.

    All depends on what quality you want, so a 10GB international capped plan
    should fit, if your not doing to much downloading, gaming etc... or a 5GB
    plan on low quality.

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Aug 8, 2003
  4. "Deck" <> wrote in message
    > right now i'm on a dial-up and i love to
    > listen on the radio thru the net. my question
    > is if i'm upgrading to DSL how does gonna eat-up
    > on my cap? say i listen 5 hours a day, 5 hrs
    > a week? does radio stream takes a high bandwidth?

    Many radio streams have been mirrored locally so that all your bandwidth is
    national, and therefore (on most plans) free. You can listen to ZM on a 56k
    modem quite nicely (Although the sound takes a little getting used to) by
    going to http://www.zmonline.com and selecting "Listen Live", or using my
    program at http://sherlocksoftware.tripod.com (But you need to visit the ZM
    website before you can successfully listen with my program).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 8, 2003