    for incoming calls. So she bought a new phone, but now she gets
    unwanted background music. The music stops when the radio station
    (radio Ferrymead) stops broadcasting!
    nospam, Sep 14, 2013

  2. nospam

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat 14 Sep 2013 12:21:17 PM CDT, nospam wrote:

    >My neighbour has a "landline phone" she recently bought that she can
    >hear music from a nearby radio station in the receiver all the time.
    >If we switch to a phone that is powered from a DC plug pack, there's
    >no music in the phone. I think she wants to have a phone that works
    >even when there's a power fail.
    >
    >Has anyone ever heard of this or know what can be done about it?
    >
    >The previous phone she had was also a landline but she accidentally
    >damaged the phone socket on the wall so an electrician came and fixed
    >up the wall socket but after that, the phone wouldn't ring any more
    >for incoming calls. So she bought a new phone, but now she gets
    >unwanted background music. The music stops when the radio station
    >(radio Ferrymead) stops broadcasting!

    Hi
    Yes, it use to occur in Titahi Bay Wellington.

    Is it a certified phone as in the PTC label fitted?

    If it doesn't ring then the electrician has either used a secondary
    block, rather than a primary with the capacitor and resistor fitted.
    Unless the one repaired was a secondary block, then it's been wired
    incorrectly. Primary block is incoming line to 2 and 5, then 2,3 and 5
    to the secondary block(s).

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    Malcolm, Sep 14, 2013

  3. On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:13:06 -0500, Malcolm
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat 14 Sep 2013 12:21:17 PM CDT, nospam wrote:
    >
    >>My neighbour has a "landline phone" she recently bought that she can
    >>hear music from a nearby radio station in the receiver all the time.
    >>If we switch to a phone that is powered from a DC plug pack, there's
    >>no music in the phone. I think she wants to have a phone that works
    >>even when there's a power fail.
    >>
    >>Has anyone ever heard of this or know what can be done about it?
    >>
    >>The previous phone she had was also a landline but she accidentally
    >>damaged the phone socket on the wall so an electrician came and fixed
    >>up the wall socket but after that, the phone wouldn't ring any more
    >>for incoming calls. So she bought a new phone, but now she gets
    >>unwanted background music. The music stops when the radio station
    >>(radio Ferrymead) stops broadcasting!

    >Hi
    >Yes, it use to occur in Titahi Bay Wellington.
    >
    >Is it a certified phone as in the PTC label fitted?
    >
    >If it doesn't ring then the electrician has either used a secondary
    >block, rather than a primary with the capacitor and resistor fitted.
    >Unless the one repaired was a secondary block, then it's been wired
    >incorrectly. Primary block is incoming line to 2 and 5, then 2,3 and 5
    >to the secondary block(s).

    Ferrite Rings looped around the phone line will stop that..
    Frank Williams, Sep 14, 2013
  4. On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:13:06 -0500, Malcolm
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat 14 Sep 2013 12:21:17 PM CDT, nospam wrote:
    >
    >>My neighbour has a "landline phone" she recently bought that she can
    >>hear music from a nearby radio station in the receiver all the time.
    >>If we switch to a phone that is powered from a DC plug pack, there's
    >>no music in the phone. I think she wants to have a phone that works
    >>even when there's a power fail.
    >>
    >>Has anyone ever heard of this or know what can be done about it?
    >>
    >>The previous phone she had was also a landline but she accidentally
    >>damaged the phone socket on the wall so an electrician came and fixed
    >>up the wall socket but after that, the phone wouldn't ring any more
    >>for incoming calls. So she bought a new phone, but now she gets
    >>unwanted background music. The music stops when the radio station
    >>(radio Ferrymead) stops broadcasting!

    >Hi
    >Yes, it use to occur in Titahi Bay Wellington.
    >
    >Is it a certified phone as in the PTC label fitted?
    >
    >If it doesn't ring then the electrician has either used a secondary
    >block, rather than a primary with the capacitor and resistor fitted.
    >Unless the one repaired was a secondary block, then it's been wired
    >incorrectly. Primary block is incoming line to 2 and 5, then 2,3 and 5
    >to the secondary block(s).

    Most new Phones are only 2 wire, the Ring connection was meant for pulse
    dialing, they then clamped the ring line to stop the other phones
    ringing when you dialed out.

    Not needed on modern phones as they don't have pulse dialing.
    Frank Williams, Sep 14, 2013
  5. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 16:26:21 +1200, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    >Ferrite Rings looped around the phone line will stop that..

    What sort and whereabouts do you put them?
    nospam, Sep 14, 2013
  6. On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 16:55:23 +1200, nospam <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 16:26:21 +1200, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Ferrite Rings looped around the phone line will stop that..

    >What sort and whereabouts do you put them?

    I used the Large Ring type blue gray coated came from some EX gear,
    Jaycar dose not list them and Wiseman use to sell them.

    The now seem to use the clamp on type, you might have then fitted to
    some power cards or USB lead, so you could remove one and try it, some
    you loop the cable through it and some just clamp over the cable.

    Jaycar does list some clamp types.

    Try removing one from a USB/Power cable a a test to see if it works.

    This would be fitted to the phone cable at the wall end, and may be also
    at the phone end.

    Some links

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

    http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf
    http://nz.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=116549093

    http://nz.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=clamp on ferrite bead

    http://popular.ebay.com/business-industrial-d-j/emi-ferrite.htm

    http://www.moddiy.com/products/TDK-...-&-Ferrites-Round-7mm-Cable-Clamp-Filter.html

    http://www.epcos.com/web/generator/Web/Sections/Components/Page,locale=en,r=247996,a=2197068.html

    All types

    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=c...v&sa=X&ei=f1E1Ut-SJ4aciQfU_4DQCg&ved=0CHcQsAQ
    Frank Williams, Sep 15, 2013
  7. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 18:28:35 +1200, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    >I used the Large Ring type blue gray coated came from some EX gear,
    >Jaycar dose not list them and Wiseman use to sell them.

    ok, thanks.
    nospam, Sep 15, 2013
  8. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 14/09/2013 4:33 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    >> If it doesn't ring then the electrician has either used a secondary
    >> block, rather than a primary with the capacitor and resistor fitted.
    >> Unless the one repaired was a secondary block, then it's been wired
    >> incorrectly. Primary block is incoming line to 2 and 5, then 2,3 and 5
    >> to the secondary block(s).

    > Most new Phones are only 2 wire, the Ring connection was meant for pulse
    > dialing, they then clamped the ring line to stop the other phones
    > ringing when you dialed out.
    >
    > Not needed on modern phones as they don't have pulse dialing.

    Current sockets used will have a 2C on the front, and lack any ring
    capacitor in them since it has been a very very long time since phones
    were made which needed them.

    For the OP, try a ADSL filter to get rid of the RF on the phoneline.
    Dirt cheap and a simple plugin device.
    Richard, Sep 18, 2013