Radio listening woes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ron, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. ron

    ron Guest

    "Youyouyou" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've a really bad connection in my house, but I do like to listen to the
    > radio on the internet.. this means a lot of breaks.. stops and
    > starts........where the software buffers .. which can obviously be really
    > annoying.
    >
    > Could anyone suggest a way to deal with this problem?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Tony

    broadband or a very large aerial

    ron, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Youyouyou wrote:
    > I've a really bad connection in my house,

    Noisy phone line ?

    > but I do like to listen to
    > the radio on the internet.. this means a lot of breaks.. stops and
    > starts........where the software buffers .. which can obviously be
    > really annoying.
    >
    > Could anyone suggest a way to deal with this problem?

    Get the phone company to sort the line. Or better still get broadband.

    michael turner, Jan 7, 2004

  3. It was on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:38:48 -0800, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Youyouyou wrote:

    > I've a really bad connection in my house, but I do like to listen to the
    > radio on the internet.. this means a lot of breaks.. stops and
    > starts........where the software buffers .. which can obviously be really
    > annoying.
    >
    > Could anyone suggest a way to deal with this problem?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Tony

    Your clock is wrong. Please adjust to the correct time.

    --
    Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

    William Poaster, Jan 7, 2004
  4. ron

    Voodoo Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:38:48 -0800, "Youyouyou" <> wrote:

    >I've a really bad connection in my house, but I do like to listen to the
    >radio on the internet.. this means a lot of breaks.. stops and
    >starts........where the software buffers .. which can obviously be really
    >annoying.
    >
    >Could anyone suggest a way to deal with this problem?

    Try choosing net radio stations that broadcast at the lowest possible
    bit rates. You should be able to find some that use 16 Kbps, which all
    things being equal should work with even a relatively slow dialup
    connection. Stay away from higher bit rates. Your favorite net station
    might broadcast at more than one bit rate. If so, choose the slowest
    bit rate that they offer.

    Also, be sure to dedicate all of your available bandwidth to your net
    radio stream. Don't try to surf the web or use bandwidth in other ways
    at the same time that you listen to your net radio stream.

    Youyouyou, Jan 7, 2004
  6. It was on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:39:42 -0800, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Youyouyou wrote:

    > Thanks...

    Your clock is STILL wrong. It's January 7th today, not the 8th & your time
    is out too.

    William Poaster, Jan 7, 2004
  7. ron

    Youyouyou Guest

    Does the software used make any difference?

    I've downloaded Winmap, but am unsure if it or any other software would be
    any better than the most popular ones...

    Thanks

    Youyouyou, Jan 7, 2004
  8. ron

    Youyouyou Guest

    Been staying with Dr Who, bad connection to the Tardis, thus the question...

    Youyouyou, Jan 7, 2004
  9. ron

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004