    problem?
    T I A,
    Leo

    LEO THOMPSON, Feb 13, 2004

  2. While it is entirely possible, before you shoot the computer, you have
    confirmed it is the culprit by turning it off, right? If so and it is
    confirmed then there are some other possibilities;
    - try moving it elsewhere, sometimes this is not practical
    - try determining if it is a specific component other than the
    motherboard

    I am very surprised that it still causes a problem outside on the patio. Are
    you near the power entrance mast? If so move away and the noise should
    disappear.

    I have investitaged a few complaints of interference to AM reception and found
    that in MOST cases the cause is elsewhere. Unfortunately you might not be a
    part of the MOST group, but it is worth trying.

    Have you asked the neighbors about interference? If they are experiencing it
    also I would more likely suspect powerline based causes such as a bad
    suppressor or damaged transformer on a nearby pole (presuming it is above
    ground). It is highly doubtful your computer interference would broadcast that
    far unless you were very close to your neighbors, as in an apartment block.

    Hope this helps,

    Steve

    Stephen Tomchuk, Feb 14, 2004

  3. LEO THOMPSON

    Jerry G. Guest

    Some computers can radiate up to a few hundred feet, even with all the
    shielding. The switching driver of the power supply is most likely working
    close to a harmonic to the AM radio band, or the IF amplifier frequency that
    is used in most AM radio receivers.

    In a PC machine there are many clocking circuits that can radiate to near by
    radio receivers. Some computers will radiate a bit more than others,
    depending on the particular design. For the most part, they may radiate up
    to a few hundred feet or so.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Feb 14, 2004
  4. LEO THOMPSON

    Wizard Guest

    I once had an APC Uninteruptable Power Supply do this but only on AM
    86.3 (My asshole neighbors' favorite channel) and got on to this when
    the power company came knocking at my door. They had already replaced a
    transformer on the pole between our houses and the neighbor was driving
    them crazy. I finally replaced the unit with an identical new one and it
    stopped. Go figure ....
    Perhaps this is your culprit.

    Wizard, Feb 14, 2004
  5. LEO THOMPSON

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:22:06 -0500, "LEO THOMPSON"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, Group:
    >
    >The screeching my HP Pavilion causes on some AM radio stations and on some
    >TV channels is unbelievable. I've tried plugging into different circuits -
    >even the electric range.
    >I took a battery operated radio outside, onto the patio in the back yard,
    >and still got the interference. Maybe I'm messing up radio reception for
    >everyone in the neighborhood. Does anybody have an idea about this major
    >problem?
    >T I A,
    >Leo

    If you have a friendly neighbor, run an extension cord over to his
    house and plug the machine in with that. Then see if you get the same
    interference.

    The problem may be partially...or mostly...due to your house wiring.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  6. LEO THOMPSON